Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 PM

431 posts, read 1,310,339 times

Advertisements

Water has been coming out of the pvc pipe the connects the washing machine to the drain pipe. This happens when the toilet is flushed. I assume it happens at this connection because it is the lowest open point. I had plunged the toilet and it stopped for a day but after I did a wash it started again. I think there may be a clog in the basement pipe. Any suggestions? Has anyone had this happen to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 04:19 AM

886 posts, read 2,646,156 times
Personally when it comes to plumbing I use a little humility. Meaning that I am truly very good at few things in life and plumbing is not one of them. Call a plumber before it becomes a bigger i$$ue.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:49 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
You most likely have a clog on the main line leading out of the house, contact a plumber. If there is a tree in the pipes vicinity there is a good chance that the roots have grown into the pipe causing the clog..

Old 12-27-2012, 05:18 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Do you have sewer service or a cesspool/septic system?

Old 12-27-2012, 05:21 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
You can find the house trap and open the street side (NOT THE HOUSE SIDE) to see if thats where the stoppage is. Messy job though.......yuck! Pesonally I hate plumbing work.....only do it in a pinch.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 AM

431 posts, read 1,310,339 times
Thanks everyone. I have a cesspool. Also there is no tree near where the pipe goes out. If I opened the pipe in the basement and tried snaking it, do you think that would help?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
I had this happen last year. In my situation (old house) the clay pipe running out to the cesspool cracked and had 'matter' hanging up on it causing a blockage. There was no trap inside the house, so the cesspool company had to go through an external vent to clear it.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerMan View Post
Thanks everyone. I have a cesspool. Also there is no tree near where the pipe goes out. If I opened the pipe in the basement and tried snaking it, do you think that would help?
Usually the snakes used for a main line have much larger cutting teeth than a drain snake. I would pay the piper and get the drain clearing service in. Down here they are often seperate from a regular plumber. Is it possible the septic tank needs to be pumped out?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:05 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Usually the snakes used for a main line have much larger cutting teeth than a drain snake. I would pay the piper and get the drain clearing service in. Down here they are often seperate from a regular plumber. Is it possible the septic tank needs to be pumped out?
That's what I thought when the situation I mentioned earlier happened. I was getting water spewed from the same spot as the OP when a toilet flushed. In the past I found the tubs took a long time to drain when the cesspool was getting high but didn't get spew back from the washer pipe.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:19 PM

8,678 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerMan View Post
I assume u didn't use the giant commercial snakes. If not, you can rent one from home depot. I've done it before. Its a pretty disgusting job but DIY is very doable. I've had it done professional as well....accrd to my records, I paid $200 with 6 months guarantee.

Its very possible your cesspool is overloaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island