Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 PM

10 posts, read 15,130 times

Advertisements

Hello Long Islanders! I was visiting my family in Huntington for the holidays and as shocked to see that the historic old Huntington Hotel/Aboff Building was completely gone. It was such a cornerstone of the village I can't imagine it being deliberately razed. Does anyone know what happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 02:52 PM

886 posts, read 2,646,156 times
It was falling apart and no one wanted to spend a fortune renovating it. TD Bank is replacing it.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Former Hotel Recommended For Landmark Status - Huntington, NY Patch

TD Bank bought the property and wanted to erect one of their generic box banks. No retrofitting the old building.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:25 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times
Don't worry, before long, the entire Island will be mallified and homogenized, eliminating so many of the points of interest and oddities that gave LI it's identity for so long.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:56 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Don't worry, before long, the entire Island will be mallified and homogenized, eliminating so many of the points of interest and oddities that gave LI it's identity for so long.

But isin't that what long island is good at.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 PM

214 posts, read 459,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus22 View Post
Hello Long Islanders! I was visiting my family in Huntington for the holidays and as shocked to see that the historic old Huntington Hotel/Aboff Building was completely gone. It was such a cornerstone of the village I can't imagine it being deliberately razed. Does anyone know what happened?

Ask frank Petrone...

Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 AM

10 posts, read 15,130 times
What a disgrace! It was such a beautiful building it's an act on vandalism! I don't understand why TD Bank couldn't have just occupied the first floor. I imagine this will garner some ill will towards TD Bank with residents. I won't bank there! I'm very surprised the Town of Huntington let this happen since they are usually so good about preserving historic character.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus22 View Post
What a disgrace! It was such a beautiful building it's an act on vandalism! I don't understand why TD Bank couldn't have just occupied the first floor. I imagine this will garner some ill will towards TD Bank with residents. I won't bank there! I'm very surprised the Town of Huntington let this happen since they are usually so good about preserving historic character.
Preservation is a hard sell these days... it's all about the revenue to support the six-figure pensions and benefit packages.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 AM

58 posts, read 162,531 times
The residents of Huntington tried to fight it. I don't know anyone other than TD Bank and maybe Petrone who is happy about it. It was heartbreaking and putting a bank there is just going to create additional traffic headaches :/

Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Brewer View Post
The residents of Huntington tried to fight it. I don't know anyone other than TD Bank and maybe Petrone who is happy about it. It was heartbreaking and putting a bank there is just going to create additional traffic headaches :/
Isn't there something going on with Oheka Castle as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island