Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:07 PM

31 posts, read 55,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What ever happened to buying a home because you wanted to be part of the community? Everybody wants to buy a home for investment purposes now. Nobody lives in their house for 30 years like our parents did anymore. Everybody wants to be the next Donald Trump.
Agreed. This is my family home, and we definitely bought it because we had our eye on and wanted to be part of this particular community. That being said, it's still an investment. I wasn't going to pay $200k more then it's worth just to be part of a community.

As far as investing in real estate, diversity is absolutely key in today's economic reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 PM

33,728 posts, read 46,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj24 View Post
Agreed. This is my family home, and we definitely bought it because we had our eye on and wanted to be part of this particular community. That being said, it's still an investment. I wasn't going to pay $200k more then it's worth just to be part of a community.
Depends on how much it was worth to you to be there. If it was $200K more you wouldnt have bought it? If its too much info you don't have to answer - but how long you plan on staying?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Depends on how much it was worth to you to be there. If it was $200K more you wouldnt have bought it? If its too much info you don't have to answer - but how long you plan on staying?
The plan is for this house to be our family home... so 20-30 years is the plan for now.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 AM

999 posts, read 2,351,562 times
Quote:
I stopped reading your garble here. Real estate is not an investment? I own several properties in Long Island as investments and each has rewarded me nicely, as will this one. Try giving that one liner to Donald Trump, or any millionaire with an investment portfolio for that matter. "Real estate is not an investment" ... absolutely crazy. Let me guess, your savings account at Bethpage yielding .45% APY is your investment?

You are insane comparing yourself and your house to Donald Trump...

We'll see how your investment works out as the crumbling continues and the over priced housing comes back down to reality...

Go build your wall and be done with your federal problem

Old 01-03-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
You are insane comparing yourself and your house to Donald Trump...

We'll see how your investment works out as the crumbling continues and the over priced housing comes back down to reality...
Yikes. The location of "dead end" in your profile has more then 1 meaning, I gather.

People have been investing successfully in real estate for a long, long time. Even here on Long Island. It's not that hard to buy a house with 20-30% down, find LEGAL tenants, pay off the mortgage over 15-30 years using the tenant's rent and then cash out the mortgage for all profit. Obama's higher capital gains tax makes things a little trickier, but hey, having a couple people paying off a bunch of my mortgages for me is better then nothing! Most of the commerical strip malls and shopping centers you see are ALL someone's investment.

And believe it or not, this IS what Donald Trump does and how he got rich -- just on a very, very different level. Kudos to him.

Man, how my thread got off-topic.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,726,879 times
I'm not going to go through all of the posts, but I assume you've been in contact with the town zoning board to make sure the bank is meeting all of its requirements concerning buffers, lighting, etc. Sometimes they tend to get lax and let fences fall down, bushes die, lighting become mis-aimed, etc. over the years after they've been granted zoning approval. Some never fulfill all the requirements and the town fails to check. Beyond that, I'm not sure there's anything you can make them do.

For new home buyers -- and I hate this to be a downer for you -- I also need to repeat that one should never, ever buy a home adjacent to commercial property. I learned that one early in my contacts with various town and village zoning entities. And when I mean commercial property, I'm including things like houses of worship and schools. Today's church can become tomorrow's Burger King. Even properties that may be a house away from a commercial parking lot can be affected, with the home next door suddenly rezoned and leveled in favor of more pavement and headlights. If you don't believe me, ask the homeowners in Strathmore Manhasset who lost their bid to stop a shopping mall parking lot expansion on a vacant buffer piece of land behind their homes. Politicans voting for the lot got some pretty nice campaign contributions from those connected with the mall. The homeowners simply couldn't compete.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,606,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
You should have written What's next, not What next. Horrible grammar!

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

The above tome is entitled Grammar in the Curriculum for English: What Next?

Old 01-04-2013, 10:10 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,606,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
BTW, Leyland Cypress make a great barrier and even help to dampen sound. I don't what the other poster was talking about with shallow roots, we have chipmunks that love to eat shrub roots and these bad boys just keep on growing. Fullsize is 20-50 feet tall and about 8-10 feet wide. Good Luck.
We put in Leylands when the neighbor uphill/across the street built a McMansion and could see right down into our bedroom. This was 10 years ago and at that time, the Leylands were perhaps 6' tall. They're easily 25-30' now and give us a lot of privacy.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,216,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

The above tome is entitled Grammar in the Curriculum for English: What Next?

Thank you for that find!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 AM

999 posts, read 2,351,562 times
Quote:
Yikes. The location of "dead end" in your profile has more then 1 meaning, I gather.

People have been investing successfully in real estate for a long, long time. Even here on Long Island. It's not that hard to buy a house with 20-30% down, find LEGAL tenants, pay off the mortgage over 15-30 years using the tenant's rent and then cash out the mortgage for all profit. Obama's higher capital gains tax makes things a little trickier, but hey, having a couple people paying off a bunch of my mortgages for me is better then nothing! Most of the commerical strip malls and shopping centers you see are ALL someone's investment.

And believe it or not, this IS what Donald Trump does and how he got rich -- just on a very, very different level. Kudos to him.

Man, how my thread got off-topic.

You mean all the empty strip malls and new businesses that aren't as crazy to pay 3 and 5k a month for nothing and then theyre demoed they're empty so long... all of those you mean...

The world changed rapidly the past 5 years, and all that greedy luck is going away quickly...

Those apartments charging an arm and a leg for nothing sq ft will be back to the few hundred they should be..

I see lots of projects suddenly stopping and all those ind parks aren't so full anymore... lots of vacant homes and tons more selling to get out...

comparing a commercial property to a home is not a great idea.

If the location of a commercial prop is good it'll remain occupied and that is what works to make comm props money, a house isn't the same, and most people aren't so quick to pay the entire mortgage to rent anymore as they're starting to think about what they have vs whats here, and theyre leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island