Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 AM

31 posts, read 55,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
You mean all the empty strip malls and new businesses that aren't as crazy to pay 3 and 5k a month for nothing and then theyre demoed they're empty so long... all of those you mean...

The world changed rapidly the past 5 years, and all that greedy luck is going away quickly...

Those apartments charging an arm and a leg for nothing sq ft will be back to the few hundred they should be..

I see lots of projects suddenly stopping and all those ind parks aren't so full anymore... lots of vacant homes and tons more selling to get out...

comparing a commercial property to a home is not a great idea.

If the location of a commercial prop is good it'll remain occupied and that is what works to make comm props money, a house isn't the same, and most people aren't so quick to pay the entire mortgage to rent anymore as they're starting to think about what they have vs whats here, and theyre leaving.
You make it sound like we're living in a third-world country. I got news for you: we're not. There's also not a mass-exodus from Long Island like a couple posters on this forum make it sound. And to be honest, the 2 families I know who left Long Island (North Carolina and Florida, shocker) were back within 2 years.

So long as we're due east of the most populous and economic and cultural center of the world, we'll always be getting spillover and real estate on Long Island will always be in demand, and expensive at that. For every 1 empty storefront or shopping center, there are 30 others that are occupied most on 10-30 year leases.

There are PLENTY of people getting very, very rich with real estate on Long Island. Some people just don't have the mindset to analyze how people and businesses make money. They'd rather just chug along at their 9-5 five days a week and collect their paycheck. Me, I'm a business guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,989,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj24 View Post
You make it sound like we're living in a third-world country. I got news for you: we're not. There's also not a mass-exodus from Long Island like a couple posters on this forum make it sound. And to be honest, the 2 families I know who left Long Island (North Carolina and Florida, shocker) were back within 2 years.

So long as we're due east of the most populous and economic and cultural center of the world, we'll always be getting spillover and real estate on Long Island will always be in demand, and expensive at that. For every 1 empty storefront or shopping center, there are 30 others that are occupied most on 10-30 year leases.

There are PLENTY of people getting very, very rich with real estate on Long Island. Some people just don't have the mindset to analyze how people and businesses make money. They'd rather just chug along at their 9-5 five days a week and collect their paycheck. Me, I'm a business guy.
And why does a place need 30 strip mall.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:12 PM

653 posts, read 1,053,661 times
A somewhat old thread, but what are the tips for using proximity to a commerical property to lower your assessed value...trying to help someone grieve their assessed value and they are adjacent to a somewhat noisy, newly built (needed a variance to operate) commerical property.

As someone mentioned, I would think this will likely affect the appraised value of the home, how do you get the county to recognize this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island