Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 06:45 PM

815 posts, read 2,046,991 times

Advertisements

We have an antique two-piece hutch and an oak, claw-foot dinette table with chairs that we no longer need. We wanted to put them on Craigslist, but then thought that we may be better off placing them in a consignment shop. I am looking for opinions on which venue is better and any experiences forumites have had selling furniture in consignment shops. Any recommendations for good consignment shops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 06:51 PM

22,637 posts, read 36,603,028 times
I would try CL first because it's easier - puts the onus on the buyer - and people for some reason are willing to pay whatever you ask (or close to it) on CL. I know someone who sold her cribs on CL for more than I paid for mine brand new. The mind boggles, but CL is one of those things where people seem to believe they are getting a bargain just because it's listed there.

It costs nothing to list on CL. If you do go the consignment route eventually, it won't bother you because you know you tried on your own first.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:28 PM

1,918 posts, read 7,089,781 times
I would also like to know of any consignment shops in LI and if they sell furniture as I too, prefer not to list on Craigslist.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:31 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,920,695 times
There is a shop in Riverhead on main street called th red collection. They have some very high end stuff as well as genuine antiques. I don't know what agreement they make but they seem to sell a lot of furniture.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:16 AM

63 posts, read 222,001 times
I know you want to sell at a consignment shop but just want to let you know I've had a lot of success on Craigslist. I sold a stroller (for 400 cash!!), a crib, rocking chair, dresser, play kitchen, tricycle and more. I always made sure my husband was home so I was not alone. The buyers pull up to my garage, give me the cash, and drive away happy. Its great.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 AM

1,918 posts, read 7,089,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
There is a shop in Riverhead on main street called th red collection. They have some very high end stuff as well as genuine antiques. I don't know what agreement they make but they seem to sell a lot of furniture.
Couches too?

Old 12-30-2012, 12:50 PM

629 posts, read 1,696,977 times
CL is a good idea - but you are only going to gain exposure to locals (very few CL users know how to search all the individual CL's across the country when looking for something). Tip for using CL: take GOOD pictures that ACCURATELY represent your item, do not allow email responses to your ad, and require interested parties to call you on the phone (helps to eliminate Nigerian scammers and the like).

You can not beat an eBay classified ad for the level of exposure it gives you and the small price eBay charges. I recently sold 2 rather expensive leather chairs to someone from upper Westchester and sold a very large wine cabinet to a fellow that drove up from DC - both as a result of eBay classifieds. Both were lovely people who would have not likely have seen my items had I placed them only on CL or in a local consignment shop.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Couches too?
Yes, they have couches and other seating. It seems some of their stuff comes from the Hamptons and north fork so some of it is amazing! Certainly some hidden treasures.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:27 PM

11,586 posts, read 12,606,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
CL is a good idea - but you are only going to gain exposure to locals (very few CL users know how to search all the individual CL's across the country when looking for something). Tip for using CL: take GOOD pictures that ACCURATELY represent your item, do not allow email responses to your ad, and require interested parties to call you on the phone (helps to eliminate Nigerian scammers and the like).

You can not beat an eBay classified ad for the level of exposure it gives you and the small price eBay charges. I recently sold 2 rather expensive leather chairs to someone from upper Westchester and sold a very large wine cabinet to a fellow that drove up from DC - both as a result of eBay classifieds. Both were lovely people who would have not likely have seen my items had I placed them only on CL or in a local consignment shop.
That's really good to know. Did you find that ebay was better for your high end stuff? When I looked on CL, it seemed to be more for people who wanted basic furniture. I ask, because within the year, I want to sell some well-made pieces, but in this economy, it seems that most people need basic functionality and I really don't want to just give this stuff away.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:59 PM

629 posts, read 1,696,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
That's really good to know. Did you find that ebay was better for your high end stuff? When I looked on CL, it seemed to be more for people who wanted basic furniture. I ask, because within the year, I want to sell some well-made pieces, but in this economy, it seems that most people need basic functionality and I really don't want to just give this stuff away.
In my opinion, posting items on eBay requires a more sophisticated seller which in return often attracts a more sophisticated buyer. eBay also provides a certain comfort level for buyers over CL. At least on eBay a potential buyer can review your feedback to get a feel for your honesty/legitimacy before contacting you. CL is often a crap-shoot. I've dealt with some good people on CL as well as some real fruitcakes! If my memory recalls - I recovered approximately 50% of the original purchase price of the furniture I sold after 9 years of ownership (meticulously cared for in a smoke-free/pet-free home). I think that's pretty good for furniture - especially large/difficult-to-move pieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island