Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,234,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Bellakin, the recent school massacres did not involve "automatic" machine guns.

Assault Rifle vs. Sporting Rifle - YouTube

Regardless, something needs to be done about this.
Add: The guy in the video fails to acknowledge that someone can just as easily tape two 30-round magazines together...like what Adam Lanza did.

Why the hyperbole? 50 guns in every school?

Also, why do people assume a few armed personnel will suddenly snap and shoot up the school? If a teacher already owns a gun, what's to stop them from shooting up the school now?

Thanks Pequa. I must have misunderstood the news. I thought it was an automatic. Either way, I don't think the solution is to have guns inside the school. I think the better preventative measure would be to stop the shooter BEFORE he can get inside the school. Ah, but that would only be in a perfect world, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 05:10 PM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
'

Now that is not a good argument, or even a good comparison to say a leo is the better person with a gun, i know many many police and i shoot better than quite a few of them, and even moving live targets, there are some police that are very professional constantly training and shoot very well, and there are many that can't shoot well at all.
Not every person that is a leo is right for the job... many leo are on that job because of what the job offers and not for what they always wanted to do.

I never went into le but i have been around professional shooters all my life and been shooting since probably 12 was when my father and grandfather 1st allowed me to shoot one, even though i had been at every competitive comp he went to since i was born.
But i also have friends that have been around them as long and aren't nearly as good at all and are somewhat careless and not that serious

It's like some teachers shouldn't be teaching and some mechanics shouldn't be mechanics, the title doesn't always make you the best at what that title is..

These are difficult situations for anyone, even the well trained. Many think they can handle the situation but how do you prepare for once in a lifetime event that you never experienced and in all likelyhood will never happen. Schools need to show diligence to protect but putting guns inside schools (NRA solution) is the last thing we need. We have never had a an incident on LI, putting guns inside schools for something so remote will do more damage than good.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM

41 posts, read 53,854 times
The best solution for elementary schools is to lock the fences to the lot and yard. Have a guard shack to monitor anyone entering the premises during school hours. He can coordinate via phone with whomever operates the door lock. If he has a problem with someone, the person on the inside at least has a head start.

Arming the teachers is not the answer.

Stricter gun laws means exactly as it reads. This idiotic woman surely had to comply with very strict regulations to be able to buy those weapons. The same regulations that were created to placate the NRA. The regulations clearly don't work. Ban the weapons. It's kinda like telling your kid he can take the car out as long as he doesn't wreck it.

Car's wrecked. Take the keys back.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:54 PM

70 posts, read 175,073 times
Geez Louise. I just love all the experts on this blog and 90% have no idea what goes on at a school and probably haven't stepped into a school since the 1970's except to vote for your beloved politician. First of all I have been a school jainitor since 1983 and....NOTHING is going to stop a crazed loon from getting into a school and killing people with guns,bombs,mustard gas or a sword like the loon in China last month. Unless you fence the grounds,install locking gates and place cameras at every entrance to the grounds any halfwit can still get into a school. Parents have access all day,deliveries are made all day,outside people whether they are inspectors,insurance underwriters,assembly entertainers or any myriad of "strangers" have complete access all day. The idea of a guard is laughable and the episode of Seinfeld where George gives the guard a chair is exactly what will occur. Maybe in the beginning the guard will be alert and making his rounds but you can be sure he will become complacent and start chatting with the hottie teachers,moms etc and not on alert. Children should then no longer be permitted to have outdoor recess or gym since they can be mowed down by the weapon Montgomery Brewster so adores. But wait....lest I forget...that guard costs money so we will have to cut positions to pay for him. Let's see....he makes $35 hr so let's cut the cafeteria aide who works 4 hrs a day at $8 hr. Yeah...that will pay for him. ok///I'm done.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
These are difficult situations for anyone, even the well trained. Many think they can handle the situation but how do you prepare for once in a lifetime event that you never experienced and in all likelyhood will never happen. Schools need to show diligence to protect but putting guns inside schools (NRA solution) is the last thing we need. We have never had a an incident on LI, putting guns inside schools for something so remote will do more damage than good.
Putting guns in schools was Clinton's idea post Columbine.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Janitor Joe got it right. I dropped my son off at his high school, looked around and there is no way to practically secure it.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 PM

41 posts, read 53,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor Joe View Post
Geez Louise. I just love all the experts on this blog and 90% have no idea what goes on at a school and probably haven't stepped into a school since the 1970's except to vote for your beloved politician. First of all I have been a school jainitor since 1983 and....NOTHING is going to stop a crazed loon from getting into a school and killing people with guns,bombs,mustard gas or a sword like the loon in China last month. Unless you fence the grounds,install locking gates and place cameras at every entrance to the grounds any halfwit can still get into a school. Parents have access all day,deliveries are made all day,outside people whether they are inspectors,insurance underwriters,assembly entertainers or any myriad of "strangers" have complete access all day. The idea of a guard is laughable and the episode of Seinfeld where George gives the guard a chair is exactly what will occur. Maybe in the beginning the guard will be alert and making his rounds but you can be sure he will become complacent and start chatting with the hottie teachers,moms etc and not on alert. Children should then no longer be permitted to have outdoor recess or gym since they can be mowed down by the weapon Montgomery Brewster so adores. But wait....lest I forget...that guard costs money so we will have to cut positions to pay for him. Let's see....he makes $35 hr so let's cut the cafeteria aide who works 4 hrs a day at $8 hr. Yeah...that will pay for him. ok///I'm done.
Nothing will stop it but you can limit the damage with common sense.

Why you mentioned my name in that diatribe is beyond me

Old 01-08-2013, 06:28 PM

216 posts, read 445,951 times
At my child's middle school, to get in I walk up to a door where a woman buzzes me in. I show ID, I give them my purpose for being there and they give me a tag, I have access to all the school. Anyone can do that, she buzzes them in as long as she feels they look "normal" I guess.

No, something has to change. How about being buzzed into a secure area and being pat down, etc.

Does that stop someone from doing something different to get in, no!

I don't know the answers but appreciate this post discussing it!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 PM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Putting guns in schools was Clinton's idea post Columbine.
I don't believe they actually were proposing armed guards inside schools, COPS stands for Community Oriented Policing Services and included social services to spot high risk students. Anyway it was defeated. NY City uses the NYP ands unarmed security to cover schools, not sure if LI does the same.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
It's very simple. Make it similar to the way it was in the 80's with a little variation. All doors are locked with the main entrance opened by a buzzer. Off duty cops provide security and the only one who should be armed would be outside the school and patrolling. Inside two unarmed but "trained" security guards. All parent vehicles require parking/window stickers that get updated every year with a new color just like inspection stickers. Outside security automatically challenges all vehicles without a sticker. A guard booth would also be a decent idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island