Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM

11 posts, read 23,884 times

Advertisements

has anyone tried to get a home owner policy for those houses?

One week ago i knew someone had to pay $5500/yr to insure a $700k home alone the coast line in north shore, not even in flood zone. And none of the big ins. companies won't even insure him.

Even if people forget it quickly, ins. companies won't.

So for those buyers and sellers out there, do your homework. Make sure you can secure a policy with a reasonable premium before signing contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 AM

247 posts, read 482,408 times
If you're not in a flood zone, but want security, it may be very difficult.

However if you're in a flood zone, I'm pretty sure you can't be denied flood insurance coverage.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:35 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,801,083 times
The floods will get worse. The army corp of engineers dont even want to fix the fire island break. The government says "LET NATURE TAKE ITS COURSE".so...prepare for another flood people.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 AM

11 posts, read 23,884 times
the $5500 is *not* flood insurence, just a regular home owner policy.

the FEMA flood is qutoted for another $500/yr.

so ins. cost is a big factor now for those homes close to water (< 500 feet), even if they are not in flood zone.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:24 PM

Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina (But originally from Long Island)
76 posts, read 230,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
If your decision to sell is made and your house is "ready", I suggest you don't wait till Spring.

Why not be a "big fish in a little pond" rather than a "little fish in a big pond"? Inventory is lower now but usually increases as Spring approaches.
I think I will take your advice....I have just hesitated, as we have a 4/5 bedroom house, and figured that most people who will be looking for a house this size will be a family w/children, and they tend to look in the Spring so they can buy/close when school is out in Summer - but I guess you never know. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:32 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,729,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
Home values will most likely increase in the areas, north merrick road. That's just my opinion but people looking to get out of homes south and move to north are going to drive prices up.

I already know people south of merrick/montauk that have already went out looking at homes north of the flood zone.
I used to live in Merrick -- a great community -- and I'm sad to see this happen. I wonder, though, if it's going to be any more prudent for people to move just north of Merrick Road or Sunrise Highway. Homes up there share the same tax base/school district with those in the south. If homes in the south drop in value and are reassessed downward, someone's going to have to make up the shortfall in school taxes. It's not unusual to go into Merrick Woods, for example, and see modestly priced homes with taxes already in the high teens or $20K range. Imagine if those homeowners are asked to make up the shortfall.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:35 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,710,031 times
Well, we figured that because we wont be able to sell and we are stuck here that due to the imminent flooding that will occur more frequently, we decided not to bother fixing our house. We let everything dry out and cleaned it with bleach. We picked up used appliances. We will use our insurance money to cover our flood policy because everyone says it is going to become unaffordable. Yeah so basically we will bank the insurance money to cover all the expense increases that will happen now. Hopefully we will be able to have enough put aside to replace our cars and appliances after every flood.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:30 AM

629 posts, read 1,698,493 times
There were rather lengthy threads on this topic just after Sandy. I'm not sure the prices of homes ON the water will change all that much. It seems to me - and is evidenced by some of the comments in this thread - that there will always be people who will be willing to absorb the premium (cost of housing, insurance, risk of loss) for being ON the water. I think the homes that will have their values negatively affected are those NEAR the water - but not ON it (ie: south of Montauk Highway). Personally, I never understood the benefit of being NEAR the water as it seems to me a homeowner NEAR the water accepts almost all the risk of a homeowner ON the water (with respect to flooding and related damage) but reaps very little (if any) of the benefit. Now - given the increase costs of insurance AND the increased probability of the homeowner sharing in the risk of a future loss - you would have to assume a rational, non-emotional buyer would just look somewhere else - forcing sellers to lower prices to attract buyers.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:12 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,242,079 times
Sandy was a once in a lifetime storm - it turned sharply to the left because of a very unusual atmospheric condition, and arrived at high tide during a full moon. Had it arrived at low tide with no full moon it would have had minimal impact.

I guess you have to play the odds. What are the chances of a similar occurrence?

Old 01-13-2013, 05:37 PM

5,027 posts, read 3,929,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
There were rather lengthy threads on this topic just after Sandy. I'm not sure the prices of homes ON the water will change all that much. It seems to me - and is evidenced by some of the comments in this thread - that there will always be people who will be willing to absorb the premium (cost of housing, insurance, risk of loss) for being ON the water. I think the homes that will have their values negatively affected are those NEAR the water - but not ON it (ie: south of Montauk Highway). Personally, I never understood the benefit of being NEAR the water as it seems to me a homeowner NEAR the water accepts almost all the risk of a homeowner ON the water (with respect to flooding and related damage) but reaps very little (if any) of the benefit. Now - given the increase costs of insurance AND the increased probability of the homeowner sharing in the risk of a future loss - you would have to assume a rational, non-emotional buyer would just look somewhere else - forcing sellers to lower prices to attract buyers.
Agreed, the market is in the toilet in any case so those folks in the previous threads were grasping at straws when they said Sandy would help the housing market on Long Island. And to your last point, many sellers are not rational and don't recognize the market when it speaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island