Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times

Advertisements

I think the misunderstanding is between being able to "live comfortably" and being able to live "luxuriously". You can live compfortably in the NYC metro area at $165K. Certainly it won't be living paycheck to paycheck especially if you have savings.

However, the truth is you will not be able to afford a mcmansion in the NYC area as well. If you can live with that then you will do fine in NYC.

Even when our household income was still at $165K/year, we could well afford to pay rent, send 1st kid to private school and piano lessons, and set aside money in our savings account. We don't live in LI though.=)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I think the misunderstanding is between being able to "live comfortably" and being able to live "luxuriously". You can live compfortably in the NYC metro area at $165K. Certainly it won't be living paycheck to paycheck especially if you have savings.

However, the truth is you will not be able to afford a mcmansion in the NYC area as well. If you can live with that then you will do fine in NYC.

Even when our household was still at $165K/year, we could well afford to pay rent, send 1st kid to private school and piano lessons, and set aside money in our savings account.
Thats exactly what I was trying to say. Well said.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yeah I do have to agree, you certainly can live on 165k (not paycheck to paycheck either) and people do it with much less every day. I know everyones situation and bills are different, but to say 165k a year income isnt enough to afford a house, family etc on LI is just flat out false.
Not to mention if you purchase correctly and do the right thing that house will inflate with the times unlike "McMansions" in Podunk suburbs.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:44 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Its mind boggling when people say they cant live on LI with a $165k salary. lol.
Well, there's one big caveat to this - when did you enter the housing market? If you bought your first house pre-2000 and stayed in the market (continued to own) and didn't dip into phantom equity during the bubble - you can live on less than 165k... easy. Sure you've been hit with some big COL adjustments since 2000 - gas, taxes, etc... but those aren't going to kill a family that maintained 2 steady jobs/incomes over those 13 years... even factoring in overall wage stagnation vs. the big COL uptick.

Joe and Mary making a combined 80k in 2000 buying a $150k house is very different than Frank and Barbara making a combined 165k in 2013 buying a $400k house... especially when you factor in the COL uptick. It is not the same... not even close.

So unless you look at this from that perspective, then I believe it's relatively useless to work against a salary number to determine if you "can live on LI".

Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Im not even going to get into a argument about not being able to buy and afford a house when making $165k here on LI.

Funny.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 PM

91 posts, read 177,124 times
quote=Forest_Hills_Daddy
The only thing I find unusual with mongoose's account was the jump in his friends' pay. Usually gross pay goes down for salaried white collar workers who migrate, not up albeit at lower COL.[/quote]

Same held true for myself when I moved 4 years ago to the Houston metro area my salary went up. I to am a white collar professional and worked in NYC for alot of years, heard the same crud of "but they don't pay like they do in NYC". Unfortunately for the folks that live on LI and commute to Manhattan for the white collar worker bee jobs and by that I am referring to such professions as accounting/finance, IT, business operations, client services etc. The pay does not gretaly exceed other areas of the country by such a wide margin that it covers the high COL of metro NYC/LI..

Old 01-15-2013, 12:40 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Well, there's one big caveat to this - when did you enter the housing market? If you bought your first house pre-2000 and stayed in the market (continued to own) and didn't dip into phantom equity during the bubble - you can live on less than 165k... easy. Sure you've been hit with some big COL adjustments since 2000 - gas, taxes, etc... but those aren't going to kill a family that maintained 2 steady jobs/incomes over those 13 years... even factoring in overall wage stagnation vs. the big COL uptick.

Joe and Mary making a combined 80k in 2000 buying a $150k house is very different than Frank and Barbara making a combined 165k in 2013 buying a $400k house... especially when you factor in the COL uptick. It is not the same... not even close.

So unless you look at this from that perspective, then I believe it's relatively useless to work against a salary number to determine if you "can live on LI".
Holy rational posts, batman! Mega-repped.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:41 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WH59 View Post
quote=Forest_Hills_Daddy
The only thing I find unusual with mongoose's account was the jump in his friends' pay. Usually gross pay goes down for salaried white collar workers who migrate, not up albeit at lower COL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH59 View Post
Same held true for myself when I moved 4 years ago to the Houston metro area my salary went up. I to am a white collar professional and worked in NYC for alot of years, heard the same crud of "but they don't pay like they do in NYC". Unfortunately for the folks that live on LI and commute to Manhattan for the white collar worker bee jobs and by that I am referring to such professions as accounting/finance, IT, business operations, client services etc. The pay does not gretaly exceed other areas of the country by such a wide margin that it covers the high COL of metro NYC/LI..
Plus no income tax so more take home pay.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:43 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

I dont think anyone is talking about 2000 home prices. Today yes in 2013 you can buy a 400k house on 165k salary and not live paycheck to paycheck on LI.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
I cant even believe Im talking about this but here it goes...

$165k/yr = about $115 take home. = $2200 per week. Yes per week. $8,800 per month.

$400k mortgage @ 3.5% = $2k a month
Taxes $11k / year = $920 a month

So mortgage is $2,920 per month.

$8,800-$2,920= $5,880 a month for all other living expenses.

Do you want a Lexus or Mercedes in the garage?

or both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island