Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,986,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
You're an exception to my generalization. For a lack of a better term, you seem quite miserable and fed up with Long Island from the grammar deficient teachers to the home values. LOL. Don't worry I'm not trying to call you out in a negative way I actually think you make some valid points.

That is the reason why I asked you. From my observations, you have to be from or grow up on Long Island or the boroughs to enjoy it here. Long Island is a unique place- extremely high density in many areas, very few transplants from other US regions, and you always have to take a bridge or tunnel if you want to leave by automobile (thank you captain obvious on this one). People from other US regions don't adapt well to these unique aspects of Long Island, and prefer NJ, CT, or even Westchester if they relocate to the suburbs of NYC. However, as the years go by it seems like people from Long Island are getting more fed up with these unique aspects in addition to the high COL and generally low bang for your buck.

As other posters mentioned, I did notice the housing was expensive in relation to home quality. Last year I was house shopping with my brother (he wanted to move from Manhattan because he had to take care of my niece and nephew, and Long Island is much more family). It is hard to find a completely updated house below $500K still, even though the market has come down. My brother got a nice house in a great neighborhood just below $500K, but the house needed many renovations because it was older. It's costing him a fortune. Properties are generally small too, this is because of the way many suburbs were designed on Long Island but mostly the restrictive island geography. The change of wants and desire in society, population growth of many other regions where you can find bigger and cheaper housing has lead to people on Long Island wanting more when it comes to buying a home. I agree with other posters, that other than taxes and other amenities, housing is the number one reason why you need to have a high income here.

With that being said, I lived on Long Island and then moved to CO and lived in other states and cities (CA, FL, DC) as well as traveled quite a bit around the US. My personal opinion is that Long Island is not my cup of tea. But to be completely honest Long Island does have a lot of flaws, but it sure is a heck of a lot nicer and has more advantages than many other regions of the US as well.

I get where you're coming from and it's a good post. I think you overthink the negativity of my position. I don't just up and hate LI for the hell of it. I don't even really hate it. I'm disappointed and feel cheated. I just think it's dumb. It is laden with farts who pine for a different era which I'm sure was lovely but is not realistic. They are so fearful or in denial of the changes taking place that they cling to a broken system like a life preserver. They don't understand how to or feel they need to compete with the rest of the country. That people think LI has great food, art, culture just makes me want to laugh and cry. It's insane. I can't even wrap my mind around trying to argue with those people. That anyone can justify paying a KG teacher $125k and lifetime benefits just boggles my mind too. That I'm a hater because I think it's crazy just makes me want to throw up my hands. My beef with Long Island is that it is a sinking ship that looks in the mirror and sees a new Queen Mary. I want it to be better. I want to see all of the things the LI Association proposes implemented. I want to see some youth, vibrancy, hipsterism, business expansion, housing options, mass transit optimization, public-private PARTNERSHIPS (as opposed to public vs private EVERYTHING). Mostly it just freaks me out that we make the money we make here and have an equal amount to show for it as when I made just more than half of it in other places (even in Brooklyn). It is really running to stand still here. Good people. Hard workers. Good living (if a tad vanilla and boring). Great neighbors. But really hard to get ahead. Hard to build a solid future, retirement, college fund, etc. When my kid turns 18 it's almost a given we will all leave. Many are doing that. It's a sad thing. It is just very frustrating to constantly feel as though you are being cheated and yet you play fair, continue to do the right thing and just barely get by. My wife simply will not go. She is attached to her job and has family who are attached to their family. All complain constantly (as bad as me). They don't stay because they love it. They stay because it's all they know or they fear change or are close to a pension or retirement and don't want to risk starting over in their careers or the kids are set in school or the house has lost too much equity to provide a cushion and may not even sell. I feel for them. I empathize. I also know it can be better. Elsewhere or here with a lot of vigilance and dedication to keep fighting, let attrition weed out the Nimbys and entrenched regimes and HOPE that some rational, modern thinkers get behind the wheel. From the posts on here, though, I don't have a lot of faith. More likely we'll bust our butts til the kid graduates, hope the housing market comes back, sell and go. No big emotional thing, just matter of factly telling it as I feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,125,086 times
I'd rep you if I could.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:44 AM

639 posts, read 1,120,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I get where you're coming from and it's a good post. I think you overthink the negativity of my position. I don't just up and hate LI for the hell of it. I don't even really hate it. I'm disappointed and feel cheated. I just think it's dumb. It is laden with farts who pine for a different era which I'm sure was lovely but is not realistic. They are so fearful or in denial of the changes taking place that they cling to a broken system like a life preserver. They don't understand how to or feel they need to compete with the rest of the country. That people think LI has great food, art, culture just makes me want to laugh and cry. It's insane. I can't even wrap my mind around trying to argue with those people. That anyone can justify paying a KG teacher $125k and lifetime benefits just boggles my mind too. That I'm a hater because I think it's crazy just makes me want to throw up my hands. My beef with Long Island is that it is a sinking ship that looks in the mirror and sees a new Queen Mary. I want it to be better. I want to see all of the things the LI Association proposes implemented. I want to see some youth, vibrancy, hipsterism, business expansion, housing options, mass transit optimization, public-private PARTNERSHIPS (as opposed to public vs private EVERYTHING). Mostly it just freaks me out that we make the money we make here and have an equal amount to show for it as when I made just more than half of it in other places (even in Brooklyn). It is really running to stand still here. Good people. Hard workers. Good living (if a tad vanilla and boring). Great neighbors. But really hard to get ahead. Hard to build a solid future, retirement, college fund, etc. When my kid turns 18 it's almost a given we will all leave. Many are doing that. It's a sad thing. It is just very frustrating to constantly feel as though you are being cheated and yet you play fair, continue to do the right thing and just barely get by. My wife simply will not go. She is attached to her job and has family who are attached to their family. All complain constantly (as bad as me). They don't stay because they love it. They stay because it's all they know or they fear change or are close to a pension or retirement and don't want to risk starting over in their careers or the kids are set in school or the house has lost too much equity to provide a cushion and may not even sell. I feel for them. I empathize. I also know it can be better. Elsewhere or here with a lot of vigilance and dedication to keep fighting, let attrition weed out the Nimbys and entrenched regimes and HOPE that some rational, modern thinkers get behind the wheel. From the posts on here, though, I don't have a lot of faith. More likely we'll bust our butts til the kid graduates, hope the housing market comes back, sell and go. No big emotional thing, just matter of factly telling it as I feel.
I hear you on all that. Yeah Long Island these days is just not progressive for needed change that can help the region. You said it right also, many people stay on Long Island because they don't know better. Unfortunately, this "anti-progressivism" is present in the rest of New York State as well (outside NYC) from what I've observed. Statistically, they have some incline in Upstate NY cities and invested in new business, but overall it's a region that knows it has problems but also has an anti-change, NIMBY attitude. My two cents, I think the current NYS government policies towards business and needed growth have made people lost hope on having a strong private sector and public-private sector relationship.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:08 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,666,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not4longNY View Post
I am leaving this year. I can't wait. I'm moving to Florida and I'm done with Suffolk County, Long Island and NY.
FYI: Ft Lauderdale and south to Miami is not much better. The further away from I95 the better.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:32 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,123,473 times
Let us know how that works out for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
FYI: Ft Lauderdale and south to Miami is not much better. The further away from I95 the better.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 PM

44 posts, read 100,207 times
Quote:

Hipstermism? You mean you want it to become some effeminate ridden place. Hamptons are full of that trash. Suggest you try San Francisco if you really want the mecc of all that. You can get all the hipsterisms and hyperdermics that are there. The reason NY State has been in an epic decline is due to all the hipsterism.
Manhattan doesn't even feel like Manhattan since all the trash from the rest of America has moved into and trying to claim themselves as "New Yorkers". I don't want the NYC of the 1970s to 1994 either, but Manhattan can live without another Starbucks around every corner.

The only thing I strongly agree with you about is transportation. It's horrendous. Anyone that thinks transferring at Jamaica constantly on the LIRR is a good thing is low class or an idiot. That whole system of transfering at Jamaica has to be eliminated. On the bright spot, the LIRR will have access to Grand Central Terminal in about a decade.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeymaster View Post
Hipstermism? You mean you want it to become some effeminate ridden place. Hamptons are full of that trash. Suggest you try San Francisco if you really want the mecc of all that. You can get all the hipsterisms and hyperdermics that are there. The reason NY State has been in an epic decline is due to all the hipsterism.
Manhattan doesn't even feel like Manhattan since all the trash from the rest of America has moved into and trying to claim themselves as "New Yorkers". I don't want the NYC of the 1970s to 1994 either, but Manhattan can live without another Starbucks around every corner.

The only thing I strongly agree with you about is transportation. It's horrendous. Anyone that thinks transferring at Jamaica constantly on the LIRR is a good thing is low class or an idiot. That whole system of transfering at Jamaica has to be eliminated. On the bright spot, the LIRR will have access to Grand Central Terminal in about a decade.
Wow, pretty magnanimous for someone without a clue. Not sure how "effeminate" and "hipster" relate in any way. I know plenty of hipsters who would smash your face and crush their over priced Pabst Blue Ribbon can on your head. San Fran is definitely NOT hipster, it is politically correct and anti-scene. Hipsters go to mom and pop or trendy coffee shops, not Starbucks. Starbucks is a corporate behemoth. The opposite of hipster. Regardless, not sure why I am defending it. I used the word exactly ONCE in the same sentence as "business expansion", "housing options" and a bunch of other remedies. The problem is the "trash" (as you call them) from the rest of America still wants to move into Manhattan. They no longer however, want to eventually move to LI. Once again, Starbucks does not equal hipster. Starbucks = The Gap.

Hipster = young, professional, upwardly mobile, creative artisan crowd who tend to move into economically challenged (usually ethnic) communities and help gentrify them. Big emphasis on small, local, sustainable businesses and community entrepreneurship. LI can use this in spades.

The East Side access is a silly boondoggle that as usual slaps a band aid (a nice expensive one) on the problem. It may help relieve some of the commuting hassles going to the city, but it will not incentivize business to open on the island at all. In fact, we will just pay to subsidize Manhattan jobs with increased fares, MTA fees, parking permits, etc. It's an overall good thing, but it's so many years and dollars for modest reward and silly politico photo ops. Hopefully it leads to more LIRR based development on the Island side at local stations and hubs and not just another expensive and inefficient line to midtown, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,991,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
I hear you on all that. Yeah Long Island these days is just not progressive for needed change that can help the region. You said it right also, many people stay on Long Island because they don't know better. Unfortunately, this "anti-progressivism" is present in the rest of New York State as well (outside NYC) from what I've observed. Statistically, they have some incline in Upstate NY cities and invested in new business, but overall it's a region that knows it has problems but also has an anti-change, NIMBY attitude. My two cents, I think the current NYS government policies towards business and needed growth have made people lost hope on having a strong private sector and public-private sector relationship.
Anti nimby? lol you ever been upstate its 80% trees not that im complaining.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,834,803 times
Quote:
Hipster = young, professional, upwardly mobile, creative artisan crowd who tend to move into economically challenged (usually ethnic) communities and help gentrify them. Big emphasis on small, local, sustainable businesses and community entrepreneurship. LI can use this in spades.
Don't leave out the trust fund from mom and dad!

Quote:
The East Side access is a silly boondoggle that as usual slaps a band aid (a nice expensive one) on the problem. It may help relieve some of the commuting hassles going to the city, but it will not incentivize business to open on the island at all. In fact, we will just pay to subsidize Manhattan jobs with increased fares, MTA fees, parking permits, etc. It's an overall good thing, but it's so many years and dollars for modest reward and silly politico photo ops. Hopefully it leads to more LIRR based development on the Island side at local stations and hubs and not just another expensive and inefficient line to midtown, but I'm not holding my breath.
It just might incentivize people from Westchester and Dutchess to travel to LI for various reasons like college notwithstanding the 90+ min commute. I could potentially get my kid to study pre college music at SBU.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Don't leave out the trust fund from mom and dad! .
Nice work if you can get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It just might incentivize people from Westchester and Dutchess to travel to LI for various reasons like college notwithstanding the 90+ min commute. I could potentially get my kid to study pre college music at SBU.
Then what, have him/her stay on LI to play in a crappy blues or cover band? Noooo! Let them go!
SB is the only school worth commuting to on LI. We could really use another SUNY branch to attract some young people. Particularly in Nassau. I don't see the 3rd rail siphoning off jobs from NYC unless there is a big tech push and wages jump to keep pace. That aint happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island