Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,103,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
I miss the conveinience of having a real supermarket in the heart of town. I love Uncle G's but their selection of regular grocery items is small and exspensive. We mostly shop at Shop Rite which isn't far by any means but we were spoiled with Waldbaums right in town as well as Pathmark and Waldbaums for some time.
Agreed! I wish King Kullen would come back to it's original location Maple Ave and Main St.
I also miss Grand Union.

Stop and Shop is a pain to get to and it too big.
Shoprite parking lot is horrendous.
Uncle G's too expensive
Nothing near Smithaven Mall is worth sitting in traffic to get to, except Costco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 AM

884 posts, read 1,405,535 times
That is a small Costco. I'd rather go elsewhere.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:54 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Agreed! I wish King Kullen would come back to it's original location Maple Ave and Main St.
I also miss Grand Union.

Stop and Shop is a pain to get to and it too big.
Shoprite parking lot is horrendous.
Uncle G's too expensive
Nothing near Smithaven Mall is worth sitting in traffic to get to, except Costco.
Shoprite parking lot is horrendous, but it is the best combination of price and quality of any supermarket around.

As for the Smithaven Mall area hate, I guess I live closer so it's no big deal. If you're buying processed junk (cereal, canned goods) and some not so junky things (chocolate), Aldi is not to be dismissed. If I have a coocoa puffs craving I'm buying Aldi's knock off for half the price.

For healthier/more gourmet stuff Whole Paycheck and Trader Joes are definitely worth visiting.

I can understand not wanting to deal with the traffic coming from up near downtown, but for those who live close to the mall, there are a plethora of options for food shopping.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Shoprite parking lot is horrendous, but it is the best combination of price and quality of any supermarket around.

As for the Smithaven Mall area hate, I guess I live closer so it's no big deal. If you're buying processed junk (cereal, canned goods) and some not so junky things (chocolate), Aldi is not to be dismissed. If I have a coocoa puffs craving I'm buying Aldi's knock off for half the price.

For healthier/more gourmet stuff Whole Paycheck and Trader Joes are definitely worth visiting.

I can understand not wanting to deal with the traffic coming from up near downtown, but for those who live close to the mall, there are a plethora of options for food shopping.
I'm not far from the mall and avoid the area as best as possible. Wild by Nature is nearby so I can avoid Whole Foods. Most of what I buy at TJs is frozen or has a long shelf life so I stock up and reduce trips.

Dante forgot to include the traffic/congestion around Smithaven when he wrote about the circles of Hell.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm not far from the mall and avoid the area as best as possible. Wild by Nature is nearby so I can avoid Whole Foods. Most of what I buy at TJs is frozen or has a long shelf life so I stock up and reduce trips.

Dante forgot to include the traffic/congestion around Smithaven when he wrote about the circles of Hell.

I just do my food shopping at night and it isn't bad at all. I'll avoid 347 on weekend days like the plague, but week nights or weekends after 7 it's not bad.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I just do my food shopping at night and it isn't bad at all. I'll avoid 347 on weekend days like the plague, but week nights or weekends after 7 it's not bad.
That's more my style. I incorporate as many errands into one trip. When little OBH is at dance class, I grocery shop.

Unrelated note -- I purchased items I normally buy at CVS on 25A. In Setauket at a CVS in Centereach -- the 25A items (all CVS brand) were 8-10% more per item; meanwhile the stores are perhaps 5-6 miles apart at most.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That's more my style. I incorporate as many errands into one trip. When little OBH is at dance class, I grocery shop.

Unrelated note -- I purchased items I normally buy at CVS on 25A. In Setauket at a CVS in Centereach -- the 25A items (all CVS brand) were 8-10% more per item; meanwhile the stores are perhaps 5-6 miles apart at most.
That's called the "fancy pants" North Shore Mark Up, suckers. Same thing when a contractor comes to your house, you think they quote someone in Stony Brook more than someone in Selden?

I had no idea chain stores were doing this though.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,892 times
Quote:
That's called the "fancy pants" North Shore Mark Up, suckers. Same thing when a contractor comes to your house, you think they quote someone in Stony Brook more than someone in Selden?

Absolutely. Contractors and now merchants are renowned for up-charging for the 'Rich' north shore residents.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Take into consideration that this is walking distance from SBU. The resident ug and grad students (who don't have cars) are stuck paying this premium. Think about your college days -- were you bankrolled by your parents or stretching dollars?

Either way, it is pretty cheesy. I'm in CVS 2-3X a month and will be watching this more closely. Everything which I bought was cold and flu related: cold medicine, cough drops, etc. I plan on price comparing shampoo, soaps, and lotions next. Given I drive by the Centereach location a few times a week, I wont have to go out of my way.

Bear in mind that people talk. If my friend on the south shore tells me her plumber charged $100 per hour and I call him and he quotes me $125 -- guess who marked up himself out of a job? The contractor coming from the south shore and giving a bid would be foolish to think the homeowner isn't getting multiple quotes. The mark up could cost him work.

Penny wise, pound foolish. We wont be seeing him at the bank on 347 and Terry.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useasdirected View Post
That is a small Costco. I'd rather go elsewhere.
I think it covers the same stock as the Commack Costco; lately the parking lot fills up almost 100% on weekends. It's worse than around Christmas.

You've got to love crowded, congested LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island