Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:08 AM

167 posts, read 304,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLara View Post
since you said marriage and kids are in your future (3 month stay? you might be eating those words)... keep the school district in the forefront of your planning list. not only for your little tot's valuable education, but resale of your home when you outgrow it... and you will. good school districts will have you shelling out quick a bit more in taxes... shockingly so.

This exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 AM

260 posts, read 449,698 times
But is it really worthwhile to buy a home in Long Island? Reading this board scares me a bit (as I agree with many of the critisicsms towards the management of both Nassau and Suffolk County here), but I'm not sure what other options people see other than moving out of the NYC metro once and for all!

Since you guys are planning for children nearterm, I'd take the plunge to take advantage of mortgage deductions and applying your rent to building equity in your home. During the honeymoon phase of our marriage we lived in LIC in one of those highrises....paying $2700 in rent and $200 per parking spot (2 cars), I convulse now to think of what we basically threw away for two years but it's water under the bridge and we had a good time.

We moved to Bayside for a year (still in Queens but more suburban) before taking the full plunge into suburbia. It's definitely been worthwhile. Having family nearby when you have a kid is a lifesaver, it's what makes it possible for us to get to the city for shows/concerts or to enjoy a late happyhour. On weekends our life is on LI which, when you have kids....you'll appreciate. It's different. We've tried doing playdates with friends in the city and it's honestly NOT for us. So crowded, so may people milling about....I hate to say that I've crossed over but I welcome the suburban bubble when it comes to my young child. As far as having family stay over for extended periods...also (depending on the person) can be godsent, gives you guys the needed break to sleep or go out together. For us, having our home with space for family to stay over (for us it's my mom) and care for our child without being in our face has helped our marriage tremendously. I would buy the house in a good school district with family nearby. You have a great downpayment, as others have pointed out, save some of that and invest it (which you probably already would anyway).

Coming from urban life and having never lived in a house, our 1900 sq ft expanded cape is a palace. We bought below our means, made some improvements have some more cosmetic stuff to tackle later but DEFINITELY happy to be paying well below the rent we used for so much more space and quality of life and money left over which has performed well to boot!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 PM

883 posts, read 3,712,982 times
To answer the original question, yes, it's very worthwhile to buy a house on LI. Yes it's expensive, yes taxes are high, but so is anywhere else within commutable distance from NYC. Since you are considering the Huntington area, look at the section that is close to the Cold Spring Harbor train station- much more pleasant to commute from there than Huntington. Also that area goes to South Huntington schools which is considered better than Huntington schools. Plus that area is right on the Nassau/Suffolk border so it's a great value- Suffolk taxes are a dream compared to Nassau!

Old 02-23-2014, 04:27 PM

409 posts, read 510,900 times
Be careful of the grading around the home and the soil conditions (clay) in the Huntington Area.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
A lot of people don't know that you can even go to the local cops to find out about crimes that occurred on your street. I looked at a home in a very, very peaceful gated community and through some detailed research, found that a guy had been arrested on the block for harassment with a dangerous weapon. Maybe he got into the complex from outside, which raises the issue of security. Or maybe he still lives on the block and could end up being my next-door neighbor, which raises a whole other set of concerns. I will certainly check it out further before I consider buying there.
The next undesirable could just move in right after you do. It's pointless to look at what crimes happened recently or to try to avoid every person who's had a run-in with the law in your vicinity. What you need to look at is past history and trends. Is crime increasing or decreasing? has crime been historically high or low?

Old 01-13-2017, 11:47 PM

6 posts, read 5,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwrapper View Post
The next undesirable could just move in right after you do. It's pointless to look at what crimes happened recently or to try to avoid every person who's had a run-in with the law in your vicinity. What you need to look at is past history and trends. Is crime increasing or decreasing? has crime been historically high or low?
First place to check should be town hall.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:06 AM

19,990 posts, read 20,683,019 times
"On"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island