Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 04:17 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times

Advertisements

So the owner doesn't give a Moderator cut: language removed because he can treat people however they want and they still come back. Rite of passage for some.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-21-2013 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 04:54 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,008 times
Extra $1 for a meal on a holiday? Was today a holiday?

I've had pretty decent food here - not far from Bethpage - you might want to try it: Lotus Restaurant - Farmingdale, NY

Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
I got up and told who I'm pretty sure is the owner. He didn't seem to care. When I say dim sum I mean we ordered some dumplings and steamed pork buns off the menu. I didn't see any carts going around, but I did see the owner walk around with a tray that looked like it had meatballs on it. I've never had dim sum, but I've heard usually there are carts involved.
Yup. Definitely carts. If no carts, not dim sum and they were just being ball-busters. Not unusual. The owner is the bald guy younger than most of the waiters but I think the shrews behind the counter are the really nasty ones. They all speak perfect english when you're happy. When you complain, suddenly they can't speak a word of it. They get away with it because the food is great and they are one of a few that has authentic food and dim sum on weekends.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:12 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Im confused.

Is this the only place that has Dim Sum on the weekends over that way??

What is so special about their Dim Sum? Whats these carts your talking about?

Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
an extra dollar, like are you kidding me.???
did it really make a difference in your wallet.????

stay home next time

Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Im confused.

Is this the only place that has Dim Sum on the weekends over that way??

What is so special about their Dim Sum? Whats these carts your talking about?
Usually served as brunch. Some of the places in Chinatown are massive and fit 1000 or more people. It's a cultural experience. The one in Bethpage is a tiny representation of it but mostly the food is very good and authentic. Not the usual chow mein and wonton soup Chinese food.

knock yourself out...

Dim sum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
It would only bother me if I HADN'T been informed beforehand. They told you before you ordered that it would be an extra $1 due to the holiday. Is it possible they're paying the staff holiday pay since it's a federal holiday??

I know that many car services charge extra on holidays as do many parking garages (extra on holidays and special event days)

If you didn't want to pay the $1, you should have left.

If I was this angry about it, I would never go there again. I would just find another chinese place to go to.

As for it being your child's lunchtime? I'm sure she wouldn't have died of starvation if you had to take another 15 minutes to find another restaurant.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 AM

520 posts, read 1,653,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
an extra dollar, like are you kidding me.???
did it really make a difference in your wallet.????

stay home next time
Obviously $1 isn't going to cause me to go into forclosure. It's the principal of charging more something without justification and they want to take advantage of people.

Quote:
As for it being your child's lunchtime? I'm sure she wouldn't have died of starvation if you had to take another 15 minutes to find another restaurant.
It's a bit of a schlep to take her out of the high hair, back into the carseat, find a new restaurant, out of the carseat and the into new restaurant.

Last edited by mambwe; 01-22-2013 at 06:40 AM..

Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 AM

194 posts, read 444,691 times
Quote:
Obviously $1 isn't going to cause me to go into forclosure. It's the principal of charging more something without justification and they want to take advantage of people.
Since when are privately owned businesses not allowed to charge what the market will bear?

Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:

It's a bit of a schlep to take her out of the high hair, back into the carseat, find a new restaurant, out of the carseat and the into new restaurant.

we went to a "Tai" restaurant the other night, as soon as we walked in, I saw a father sitting at the table with a, maybe 1 year old, if that, we heard the baby making 'baby noises", I looked at the man, looked at the hostess and said, Oh no, sorry, I am not doing anyone's child tonight, not happening.

and we walked out. found a nice Chinese place and called it a night.

nothing worse than going to a fairly upscale restaurant and having to listen to someones little baby making baby noises.... do us a favor, keep the kid home....not everyone wants to hear baby noises......

I know, I had 3 babies....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: