Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times

Advertisements

I hear they also made planes that made a lot of noise. Thank god people back in Grummans time werent the whiners they are today or no aircraft would have been built on Long Island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
Grumman was a special place to work any one that was there during the 40s tru the 70s can tell you it was like a big family regardless of your pay grade,once you vested in their health system they would fly you to mayo clinic if you had a medical problem,a 25 % counter stock invest plan and I could go on and on.It was called the Grumman family and it built many carrier aircraft that helped win the war,perhaps most of the carrier planes at the time,the LEM (lunar lander)during the Apollo program that put man on the moon and brought him back.All this was done with out any labor union that no one ever thought was necessary.
A proud former Grummanite!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Grumman was a special place to work any one that was there during the 40s tru the 70s can tell you it was like a big family regardless of your pay grade,once you vested in their health system they would fly you to mayo clinic if you had a medical problem,a 25 % counter stock invest plan and I could go on and on.It was called the Grumman family and it built many carrier aircraft that helped win the war,perhaps most of the carrier planes at the time,the LEM (lunar lander)during the Apollo program that put man on the moon and brought him back.All this was done with out any labor union that no one ever thought was necessary.
A proud former Grummanite!
Yep I also remember the yearly Christmas turkeys and the massive family picnics, those were awesome! So sad those days are gone...

Old 01-25-2013, 07:18 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
Today: No more holiday turkeys, but you get an apple pie! lol

NGC paying off your mortgage is NOT part of any pension that existed.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:37 AM

4 posts, read 13,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Today: No more holiday turkeys, but you get an apple pie! lol

NGC paying off your mortgage is NOT part of any pension that existed.
thanks for your input , the person who told me this was part of management so he claims. not sure why he tells me this , but when he tells me this i just reply "wow thats nice" , i find it very hard to believe , why would a company just write an employee a check for the balance of their home mortgage because they are retiring...this guy is full of BS

Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 PM

376 posts, read 1,016,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNMAID View Post
thanks for your input , the person who told me this was part of management so he claims. not sure why he tells me this , but when he tells me this i just reply "wow thats nice" , i find it very hard to believe , why would a company just write an employee a check for the balance of their home mortgage because they are retiring...this guy is full of BS
maybe he got a payoff or retirement money from the company which HE choosed to pay off his mortgage ? like a severance check of some sort ? that would make more sense ....

Old 01-26-2013, 01:01 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
The original post still makes no sense to me?? Yea the Christmas turkeys and the massive family picnics when I pulled into the picnic my kids would roll the back windows down and a crew on both sides would throw in candy and toys soon a parade of Rhinegold Beer trucks would come in and make delivery's to the many refreshment stands and kids would line up to the many rides they even had a small train that was a permanent part of the place. You could even bring guests that didn't work there. Those were the days I get emonicial thinking about it.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:55 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
The original post still makes no sense to me?? Yea the Christmas turkeys and the massive family picnics when I pulled into the picnic my kids would roll the back windows down and a crew on both sides would throw in candy and toys soon a parade of Rhinegold Beer trucks would come in and make delivery's to the many refreshment stands and kids would line up to the many rides they even had a small train that was a permanent part of the place. You could even bring guests that didn't work there. Those were the days I get emonicial thinking about it.
Yep the rides, trains, flybys, unlimited beer, ice cream, food. Those were great times...

Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I hear they also made planes that made a lot of noise. Thank god people back in Grummans time werent the whiners they are today or no aircraft would have been built on Long Island
I grew up right near the Bethpage location and I would see those planes with the big radar domes on top taking off and landing often. It just seemed very normal and part of regular life.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I grew up right near the Bethpage location and I would see those planes with the big radar domes on top taking off and landing often. It just seemed very normal and part of regular life.
We would see the AWACs heading to and from Bethpage. They were so low in the sky -- as kids we would wave to them hoping the pilots saw us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island