Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 AM

11 posts, read 72,561 times

Advertisements

We are looking to get our 5 x 8 bathroom gutted and renovated. How much should a renovation like this run? We've gotten a quote for $18K and feel this is high for such a small bathroom. Do you have you good, honest contractor recommendations? Also, tile shop recommendations? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Sounds high but depends on what you are buying in terms of fixtures.

Of course, contractors arent exactly going around begging for work now.....you're paying the Hurricane Sandy premium for your work.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 AM

184 posts, read 805,971 times
too vague of a question to ask without supplying some more info. It does sound high but what we have no idea what you were having done as far as materials and fixtures.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 AM

225 posts, read 715,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeks335 View Post
We are looking to get our 5 x 8 bathroom gutted and renovated. How much should a renovation like this run? We've gotten a quote for $18K and feel this is high for such a small bathroom. Do you have you good, honest contractor recommendations? Also, tile shop recommendations? Thank you.

Honestly, it all depends on what you want. Sears is actually finishing up renovating our main bathroom today (small bathroom). My parents are paying over $20k for this...this was for vent installation, new tub, new sink, faucets, lighting, and wall and floor tiling. Bathroom renovations are not cheap!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:25 AM

465 posts, read 1,710,334 times
I had a bathroom gutted in 2008 5x8 it was about 11-12k, including demo, new sheet rock/spackle, new wiring, moldings, new tub, vanity, toilet, subway tile walls and tub area, skylight, porcelain tile floor, glass tub doors, new fan, no paint(myself). I bought most of the fixtures myself, I would say they were mid range, nice, but not high end expensive.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:33 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
having not seen what your bath looks like nor what you're planning on doing, as a general thought, it does seem high. However, you can most certianly spend 18K on a 5x8 bathroom if you put high end everything into it.

Midrange 8-12K sounds about right without moving the plumbing. Probably with tiling the tub area, floor and possibly walls, toilet, ok vanity with granite top, gutting the whole thing.

you probably should be running new lines for the outlets, unless they are grounded. On average, you'll probably run into at least 1 problem doing the bath, either a small leak, rotted wood, cut beam or something

I don't have a recommendation on a person, however, you should probably go look at tile, plumbing fixtures, faucets etc and get an idea what you want. probably the biggest disconnect between what is quoted vs what you actually paid is the homeowner and contractor having 2 completely different pictures of what is going into the bath and what each costs. tile can run from $1 a sqft-60, toilets can run from $150-4000. Showers with body sprays, granite seats and custom glass enclosures can cost a fortune vs a standard tub with subway tile around it.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:02 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Your quote should be broken down by line item and everything should be clearly described in detail. Get a book about bidding a reno project.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 AM

11 posts, read 72,561 times
Thank you. We were looking to get the supplies (sink, toilet, vanity and tile). We would need electrical ran for 2 lights in the shower area and need heated floors. We don't need any plumbing moved around (ie shower). How much should labor be?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:33 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
We had our bathroom done by Allure in 2008, they have a showroom so we shopped for everything there,Tub, tiles,toilet, fixtures, lighting ect.... We had it gutted down to the studs, We got Moen fixtures in brushed nickle,new tub tiles all around the tub up to the ceiling,tile half way up the rest of the bathroom, Stone countertop and oak base for the sink,new medicine cabinet all mirrored and bigger than our old one,lighting fixture above the cabinet, high hats, plus a vent fan, tile floors, a grab bar in the shower, and recessed into the wall in the shower is a cubby to hold shamppo, soap and razors, cost us $16,000 and took 5 days.We got the grab bar not because several time we almost slipped in the shower and there was nothing to grab onto. Safety precaution even though we are in our 40's.I would say an average bathroom would cost $10,000-$16,000 unless you want to go High end.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
We had our bathroom done by Allure in 2008, they have a showroom so we shopped for everything there,Tub, tiles,toilet, fixtures, lighting ect.... We had it gutted down to the studs, We got Moen fixtures in brushed nickle,new tub tiles all around the tub up to the ceiling,tile half way up the rest of the bathroom, Stone countertop and oak base for the sink,new medicine cabinet all mirrored and bigger than our old one,lighting fixture above the cabinet, high hats, plus a vent fan, tile floors, a grab bar in the shower, and recessed into the wall in the shower is a cubby to hold shamppo, soap and razors, cost us $16,000 and took 5 days.We got the grab bar not because several time we almost slipped in the shower and there was nothing to grab onto. Safety precaution even though we are in our 40's.I would say an average bathroom would cost $10,000-$16,000 unless you want to go High end.
What did you think of the quality of Allure's work? When I move, I'll likely be needing to get some bathrooms redone in my next home. I'm asking because posters on other threads say they are expensive. Also, five days is pretty fast for contractors to do a good job. However, the impression I get is that they do the work right and that's pretty important around here, where you can run into plenty of sleazy contractors. I'd rather pay a little more and get quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island