Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:34 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
LOL, do you also believe that girls who dress slutty are asking to get raped? Maybe the bosses should lock the trains up too, they're probably worth a pretty penny at the scrap metal yard.
LOL, yeah, but they don't work too good, so they're only worth scrap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 10:44 PM

65 posts, read 133,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Well duh... do you really think the scrapper cares? Heck he doesn't care if someone ripped the copper pipes from your house, he'll pay for it.

This kind of thievery has been going on forever. All manner of goodies have been stolen and yes, management could care less, as long as the bonuses are big and the patronage jobs are plentiful. Chances are these guys got greedy or made enemies with the wrong people or were just plain stupid.

In the end, the taxpayers and the riders pay for it all.
I didn't opine on whether the scrapper cared, of course they don't. I'm saying they should be held responsible - that's a two pronged approach to fixing the problem. And despite your "duh", this is often an approach used.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I just don't get all the shock, surprise, and outrage here. There have been corrupt LIRR employees for decades. Let me tell you a little story:

When I was younger, around 17 (16?) (many moons ago!), I was dating an LIRR engineer. He engineered both electric and diesel trains. I wasn't working and used to accompany him to work on an almost daily basis. Well, being the alcoholic that he was, who do you think was actually engineering those trains? Yes, me. The 17 (16?) year old girl who was never formally trained or anything else. Yes, he taught me how to "drive" the trains, taught me the signals, where to slow down/speed up. I even had my own set of LIRR keys.

Looking back, that was INSANE. Could you imagine if I had misunderstood a signal? Or sped up when I should have slowed down? Anything could have happened. Thank goodness nothing did.
Wow

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-27-2013, 06:08 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
who do you think was actually engineering those trains? Yes, me. The 17 (16?) year old girl who was never formally trained or anything else. Yes, he taught me how to "drive" the trains, taught me the signals, where to slow down/speed up. I even had my own set of LIRR keys.
It's Dagny Taggart!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Wow
LOL!! I can't tell you the countless times he would be sleeping when I was "driving" the train or would be guzzling a beer or some whisky. Just plain crazy!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It's Dagny Taggart!
lol!!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,771 times
On the news it stated they were being observed doing this for a while.If it amounted to such a large amount of money Management and law enforcement should be sued for the $$ loss or were they afraid of the union reacting??

Old 01-27-2013, 10:52 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
"Dad, Jan wants to know what to do with all of her LIRR copper wire"..........

"Just tell her to call Two Brothers Scrap Metal".....

Old 01-27-2013, 03:53 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
"Dad, Jan wants to know what to do with all of her LIRR copper wire"..........

"Just tell her to call Two Brothers Scrap Metal".....
HAHA!!!!

That deserves a rep AND a comment

Old 01-27-2013, 05:30 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
HAHA!!!!

That deserves a rep AND a comment
two reps and two comments !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island