Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Unbelievable! From Newsday Mobile for all to read:

LIRR workers charged in copper-theft scheme
Top Stories Item

Quote:
Nassau County prosecutors have charged 15 Long Island Rail Road employees and two others with stealing more than $200,000 in copper wire from the railroad and selling it for scrap.
So the phony disability retirements, manipulation of antiquated work rules for extra pay, and the outrageous overtime aren't ENOUGH?

Apparently not!

As for the riders, the fares are going up again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:13 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
The public is a cash cow. Why not squeeze it a little more by selling some scrap that was lying around?

A friend of mine in management for Nassau County once described his discussion wth an employee trying to get out on a (bogus) disability claim.

From the employee's mouth: "Whadda you ca'? It ain't your money....."

Old 01-25-2013, 02:17 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Layers and layers of management, but no one actually manages.

Just like LIPA.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:56 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times
These are days of `every man for themselves. We see it from top to bottom, give us a withered economy and morality flies out the window, everything and anything goes. I cannot excuse these copper thieves, but I can understand how tempting it would be to `wet their beaks in a time when it appears that no one is minding the store. As Rome collapsed, it was sacked by the people, they must have sensed the state of affairs and they went with the flow, and it isn't too hard for some to understand that when people feel that the system is corrupt in itself, they are given the right to better their circumstance at almost any cost, it's a case of `monkey-see, monkey do. When, and if America begins to turn out a generation of honest and dedicated politicians, we might stand a chance at seeing change, but until that distant day, we'll continue to see the collateral decay of a once great country, and we'll be seeing it as it always was, from the top. down...

Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
Why didn't management have this scrap secured in a secure place instead of it lying all over the place as the TV news picture shows?sounds like poor management to me.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:41 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Is anyone REALLY surprised?? Does anyone REALLY think any of this is anything new???

Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 PM

65 posts, read 133,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Why didn't management have this scrap secured in a secure place instead of it lying all over the place as the TV news picture shows?sounds like poor management to me.
Blame deflection, really? First of all, it was NOT scrap. It was copper wire. They sold it for scrap. Railroads, and especially railroads that rely on electric power, have tons and tons of copper wire on hand at various locations. These employees knowingly stole it and sold it for scrap prices.

In my opinion, unless these thieves cut the wire into short lengths and then tarnished them to make them look old and unwanted, the scrapper that accepted the wire is also culpable.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:54 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
LOL, do you also believe that girls who dress slutty are asking to get raped? Maybe the bosses should lock the trains up too, they're probably worth a pretty penny at the scrap metal yard.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
I just don't get all the shock, surprise, and outrage here. There have been corrupt LIRR employees for decades. Let me tell you a little story:

When I was younger, around 17 (16?) (many moons ago!), I was dating an LIRR engineer. He engineered both electric and diesel trains. I wasn't working and used to accompany him to work on an almost daily basis. Well, being the alcoholic that he was, who do you think was actually engineering those trains? Yes, me. The 17 (16?) year old girl who was never formally trained or anything else. Yes, he taught me how to "drive" the trains, taught me the signals, where to slow down/speed up. I even had my own set of LIRR keys.

Looking back, that was INSANE. Could you imagine if I had misunderstood a signal? Or sped up when I should have slowed down? Anything could have happened. Thank goodness nothing did.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jme5343 View Post
Blame deflection, really? First of all, it was NOT scrap. It was copper wire. They sold it for scrap. Railroads, and especially railroads that rely on electric power, have tons and tons of copper wire on hand at various locations. These employees knowingly stole it and sold it for scrap prices.

In my opinion, unless these thieves cut the wire into short lengths and then tarnished them to make them look old and unwanted, the scrapper that accepted the wire is also culpable.
Well duh... do you really think the scrapper cares? Heck he doesn't care if someone ripped the copper pipes from your house, he'll pay for it.

This kind of thievery has been going on forever. All manner of goodies have been stolen and yes, management could care less, as long as the bonuses are big and the patronage jobs are plentiful. Chances are these guys got greedy or made enemies with the wrong people or were just plain stupid.

In the end, the taxpayers and the riders pay for it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island