Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,135 times

Advertisements

I've lived in west islip my whole life, recently graduated from high school now i'm going to SU. If anyone is planning to move to WI there is a lot that you need to consider. I'll start with everyones favorite, the nick name. WHITE ISLIP! now it can be translated two ways. ONE, is that there are only about 3! black families in this town. (i swear that the realters are paid off for this ****!) TWO, cocain. Plain and simple, rich town=rich drugs. The amount of coke that runs through this town is ridiculous!! Next is the fact that there is JACK **** to do here. West Islip is a very SEGREGATED and RACIST town, a couple of things to prove this to you are... the only churches we have are roman catholic, we have no train station (keeps non west islipians out), no fast food, 2 Mcdonalds.. thats it, everything else is in north bab. and deer park, no movie theater, this town has NOTHINGGG, the point i'm getting at is that kids are so bored with this town that drugs alcohol and sex are what keep them occupied. there are some ups to this "pleasent-ville" the school district is really good. Lacrosse teams are AMAZING! football sucks though, teachers and everything are great too. Overall this town is a friggin town right out of a movie, it seems so pretty and perfect but it holds A LOT, and i mean A LOT of dirty secrets!!! So think carefully and decide wisely before moving to West Islip =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 08:18 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
I showed this previous post to my boyfriend, who is 26 years old and has lived in WI his whole life. He said it's all true, except for the schools mostly (he said there's only one Mcdonalds though, and that the reason there isn't a train station is b/c there's no room). He graduated in 1999 and said the schools have gone down a lot since he was there. It almost went on the SURR list a couple years ago, which is very bad for Long Island schools; mostly inner city schools go on the list of failing schools.

Also, it isn't that big of a deal if there's no train station in a town. Just drive to the next town over. He goes to the Babylon station. His drive there is the same drive it took me to get from my north Smithtown house to the Smithtown station. Someone who has a train station in their own town can have just as long of a drive to their station as someone who is driving to the next town over. No big deal.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:28 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,555 times
Quote:
WHITE ISLIP! now it can be translated two ways. ONE, is that there are only about 3! black families in this town.
Quote:
West Islip is a very SEGREGATED and RACIST town
Quote:
this "pleasent-ville" the school district is really good. Lacrosse teams are AMAZING!
And the downside is?

Would you prefer to live in Wyandanch?

The only thing that is attractive about West Islip north of 27A is the fact that it is homogeneous. Don't worry, WI will feel the effects of demographic change soon enough. Expect those areas bordering Brentwood and North Babylon to go first.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:17 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
West Islip is a nice town, I don't get the negatives.
Gardiner Manor Park is a good place to hang out with families, walk your dog, get out and get exercise and NOT do drugs or drink.

Teenagers seem bored and pissed off wherever in the suburbs they live. It's a darn shame that portion of the population is 'ignored' (especially the 13-16 year olds who are too young to drive anywhere.).

I guess they need to build youth centers or something. A lot of libraries try to fill the gap by offering activities, but it's not enough.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:02 PM

5 posts, read 35,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Agreed, but these days you must read between the lines.
Most these people fleeing the city want "diversity" so their kids don’t have to assimilate. They start trouble in the schools, next thing you know these RENTERS are suing schools, demanding ESL teachers and special classrooms to be paid for with my tax $$.
Look what happened in Flushing with the Aisens and Manhasset with the Mid Eastern Jews from North Shore LIJ Hospital and Great Neck.
They took over the Town of Nort Hempsted and are forcing all kinds of crap like banning Santa, rezoning for 1 million+ Sq ft Synagogue in Manhasset you could build a 2 space shuttle's in.

-J
Joe I'm moving to White Islip

We're buying a house there

I love your way of thinking

Old 10-30-2007, 04:09 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
West Islip is a very nice town, but there is no real village as there is in Babylon. Even Brightwaters has that cute very tiny village . I do think that the schools are somewhat better than Babylon Village & certainly better than Bayshore. It is a great all-around American town. You would, I am sure, be very happy there. (Try to stay south of Sunrise, though).

Old 10-30-2007, 04:16 PM

My fiance grew up there and still lives there at 26 years old. He told me the town has gotten worse over the years. He said he really doesn't want to raise a family there. This is just a comparison to like 10, 20 years ago. It's still ok compared to other LI towns, but not the best in his opinion.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:21 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
I like that nice little part of Brightwaters with the lakes & the bridges and the brick houses looking as if they were in a Thomas Kinkaide painting or something.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:06 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My fiance grew up there and still lives there at 26 years old. He told me the town has gotten worse over the years. He said he really doesn't want to raise a family there. This is just a comparison to like 10, 20 years ago. It's still ok compared to other LI towns, but not the best in his opinion.
I think I saw in an earlier post that he graduated in '99....I think he might be romanticizing his youth a bit. It hasn't changed much if at all in the past 20 years...

Old 10-31-2007, 07:42 AM

Yeah, it could be that too. I think a lot of people think their towns have gotten worse over the years because it wasn't the same as a kid. I think of Smithtown in that same way, but i don't think it's gotten worse...it's just changed and I wish it could be like it was as a kid lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island