Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:59 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times

Advertisements

Kids today know what Rx drugs can produce a high so if a classmate comes to another kids home and sees a Rx in the Med. cabinet (the first place an addict looks) it gets stolen and introduced and shared with other kids and on and on it goes.what I am trying to say is many parents are unaware they are creating the problem.
Growing up in the 50s we as kids did the exact thing with tobacco and booze and even car keys laying around a friends home (some thing for all to think about is it not ?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
I remember when that story about the 41 Smithtown residents broke. However of you read the article, 20 of the 41 are from Kings Park and 7 are from Nesconset, leaving 14 from Smithtown. The media is feeding into this "Smithtown epidemic". If residents of Massapequa, Hicksville and Bethpage are arrested will the article be titled "Oyster Bay Residents Arrested" because they live in the Town of Oyster Bay? I think the fact that this issue gets press time is good because it's a serious issue, but lets report on it accurately.
It makes for a much more sensational headline when the cumulative number 41 is used and it isn't lying as all the dirtbags are from the same Town. Nevermind the fact that they were from three different communities within the Town of Smithtown.

The report could have read "41 Suffolk Residents Arrested"; but people might have assumed it happened in Brentwood, CI, Wyandanch, or any other predominantly minority community. Chances are the media wanted to avoid this and wished to make this problem known as all encompassing, and not just limited to particular socioeconomic or racial groups.

I found this:
Smithtown Heroin Dealer Arrested In Major Drug Bust - Hauppauge, NY Patch
Quote:
Smithtown resident Richard Balanda, 29, of Brooksite Drive was among those arrested on charges of second-degree conspiracy for allegedly selling heroin to local residents as part of the drug ring, which spanned from Queens to Suffolk County.
Which brings to mind a murder from 2007 -- too a little digging, but I found it. A then 20 year-old graduate of Smithtown HS murdered a 70 year-old woman, Martha Watson in her Alexander Ave. Nesconset home when he broke in to steal her grandson's Heroin stash. It was alleged the grandson was a big time dealer.

Suspect in granny killing could get life - NY Daily News

While digging that up, I came across another forum and on it, someone had C&P an article about Heroin use. I will supply snippets as they didn't provide a link but it appears to be from Newsday in 2009:

Quote:
Ten months after Watson's murder, a routine community cleanup of the shuttered Bavarian Inn on Lake Ronkonkoma unearthed a disturbing find - dozens of discarded hypodermic needles and glassine bags from heroin.

"They're using the area as a shooting gallery," Fred Gorman, president of the Nesconset-Sachem Civic association, said at a hastily called meeting afterward. "If we work intelligently, we can take it back." The town has since has boarded up the site several times, and police patrol the property.
All of us need to pay closer attention to empty buildings -- commercial and residential -- in our communities.

Quote:
On March 8, more than 1,000 people showed up at the forum on heroin abuse held at Nesaquake Middle School in Smithtown. There, residents told of finding needles in streets, and kids shooting up in their cars before school.

East Hills Park, a short walk from Smithtown High School East, was considered a particular problem for drug debris left behind.

"We all know, this type of activity by itself is catastrophic for our youth, but it also leads to other crimes. . . . You have moms and dads and children in a recreational facility where these spontaneous things are of great concern," said Smithtown Public Safety Director John Valentine.
Sadly, we do have to keep our eyes open at parks and fields -- we never know what might be left behind. The last thing anyone wants is for their child (or themselves) to be stuck by a junkie's used needle.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
I remember when that story about the 41 Smithtown residents broke. However of you read the article, 20 of the 41 are from Kings Park and 7 are from Nesconset, leaving 14 from Smithtown. The media is feeding into this "Smithtown epidemic". If residents of Massapequa, Hicksville and Bethpage are arrested will the article be titled "Oyster Bay Residents Arrested" because they live in the Town of Oyster Bay? I think the fact that this issue gets press time is good because it's a serious issue, but lets report on it accurately.

There is obviously a problem but it is a widespread problem as seen in that one bust which included people from 3 hamlets. (thanks Walter) I bet you could find at least 14 people with weed in almost any hamlet on Long Island.

Am I a little defensive on the issue? Yes, but only because Smithtown and Massapequa bear the brunt of this topic but I'm not going to deny it all and pretend it isn't happening.
Yes, I did notice it. That's why I used that example.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It makes for a much more sensational headline when the cumulative number 41 is used and it isn't lying as all the dirtbags are from the same Town. Nevermind the fact that they were from three different communities within the Town of Smithtown.

The report could have read "41 Suffolk Residents Arrested"; but people might have assumed it happened in Brentwood, CI, Wyandanch, or any other predominantly minority community. Chances are the media wanted to avoid this and wished to make this problem known as all encompassing, and not just limited to particular socioeconomic or racial groups.

I found this:

Which brings to mind a murder from 2007 -- too a little digging, but I found it. A then 20 year-old graduate of Smithtown HS murdered a 70 year-old woman, Martha Watson in her Alexander Ave. Nesconset home when he broke in to steal her grandson's Heroin stash. It was alleged the grandson was a big time dealer.

While digging that up, I came across another forum and on it, someone had C&P an article about Heroin use. I will supply snippets as they didn't provide a link but it appears to be from Newsday in 2009:

All of us need to pay closer attention to empty buildings -- commercial and residential -- in our communities.

Sadly, we do have to keep our eyes open at parks and fields -- we never know what might be left behind. The last thing anyone wants is for their child (or themselves) to be stuck by a junkie's used needle.
Exactly! The pigs could at least clean up after themselves. But I guess it's too much to ask of degenerates.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
whoa...you guys still post here? WHAT DID I MISS? Opiates? any for me!? where where!

Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
whoa...you guys still post here? WHAT DID I MISS? Opiates? any for me!? where where!
Check your kids' school backpack!

Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Check your kids' school backpack!
I don't have kids but I'll stop the next random kid I see and search his bag...wait that didn't sound too good.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Exactly! The pigs could at least clean up after themselves. But I guess it's too much to ask of degenerates.
Please don't denigrate the degenerates!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:24 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

I found this:

I take my kids to that park all the time and while I do check for paraphernalia, I have never come across any.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:40 PM

DEA Meth Labs Map
DEA.gov / Methamphetamine Lab Incidents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island