Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 08:15 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
nice blue velvet jacket
I'm assuming since it was U2 at Shea it was in the last decade or so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 09:04 PM

491 posts, read 828,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
....and I always thought that the Port Washington line was the classy train .
The kids of these so called "Classy" people are spoiled brat thuggs. They will, hit and run drunk, take a swing's at a police officer's
When they get busted they are trained to remain silent and call "daddy" the lawyer.
They train cars on weekend nights or after a Shea event are combat zones.
......diehard sports, U2 and Allman Bros, Greatful Dead, White Zombie fans are the pitts IMO....ANIMALS !!!

I spent years a Local 1 (IATSE stagehands union)and saw plenty at The Beacon and MSG

Last edited by Joe L; 10-21-2007 at 09:13 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 06:35 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
The LIRR is a world of its own. I never did much traveling from NYC to LI but we were all on it when we took Amtrak from VT and had to get to the Island and pick up our car. I don't know how people live that life...we were on the train at 8 something and mostly business people were on the train...what sort of life is it going to work at 5 am till 8 or 9...? People were used to it, just eating their pizza or drinking beer (odd to me) or whatever..ugh...

I guess there's some things I would not be willing to do. Sitting on the LIRR at 9 pm is one of them. And dealing with the wacko of the hour? No thanks.

Do I miss NY? Not really...

Old 10-22-2007, 03:00 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
Default Worst experience?

I was going on one of my Saturday outlings to New York. I get on the train, all set with coffee, roll, crossword puzzle, sit down...when I notice a funny odor. I look down and my feet are in a puddle of something really vile.

I won't say what it was, someone might be eating. It was nasty.

Mind you, this was at 11 AM.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:09 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
People commute all the way from places like Mastic and beyond everyday. There is one teacher who comes from Southampton . I think that she gets up at 4:00 a.m.

The construction workers get an early 5:15 a.m. (from Babylon) , but they seem to get home arounsd 4:00. They are on my afternoon train and although they are nice guys individually , they are very very rowdy and beer and pretzels are spilled all over the floor so that you really can not walk past them.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:57 PM

44 posts, read 205,942 times
Default The LIRR..experiences

Wow, and we thought NYC subways were a mess.
U guys hit it on the nose. I avoid the LIRR on evenings and weekends.
Way to many rowdy folks getting drunk before they hit the city.
About the cell phone vigilante. Totally inappropriate to dump coffee on anyone or shove someone.
My "bad" experiences:
1. Rowdy and foul mouthed riders, justifying their behavior by saying they pay such and such to ride the rail. Big deal so do I.
2. Cops who sit next to you and make it known they are cops allthough they are off duty, but they want to take up all the seats surrounding you. Mind you the train is empty because its not rush hour. Did you want the window seat or are you just always this rude?
3. Construction workers who hog up the seats with their bags. And then don't want to move when you do sit down next to them.

Good experiences:
1. Several folks who are willing to move to let you have a seat or
even encourage you to share a bench although its a tight squeeze. Those are the compassionate folks who know how badly we all need to rest our tired aching feet.
2. The gentleman who immediately pointed out to one young man that his iPod was way, way too loud at 6 am. I was happy to see someone speak up.

Maybe the LIRR should post signs that says be considerate of others when using your cell phone. Maybe even an ad campaign.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:21 AM

16 posts, read 43,945 times
Quote:
2. The gentleman who immediately pointed out to one young man that his iPod was way, way too loud at 6 am. I was happy to see someone speak up.

Maybe the LIRR should post signs that says be considerate of others when using your cell phone. Maybe even an ad campaign.
In that case, then, I think people should also be considerate in asking other people who are using their cell phones to be reasonably quiet. I'll admit, I can get loud on my cell phone and I've been caught twice (both times not even realizing how loud I was talking) on the Long Beach train (good thing I've never run into that guy!). One time, I had a middle-aged man sitting next to me politely ask me to "keep it down just a little," in which case I immediately apologized, got up from my seat and removed myself to the vestibule. However, the second time I was 'caught,' the woman sitting across from me told me to 'turn of my @#()(@* cell phone, a$$()##,' after which I (once again) removed myself to the vestibule (and saying a few choice things to her after my call that are not worth repeating here).

My point is, if someone is speaking on their cell phone, politely ask them to keep it down...my guess is, about 90% of those you ask will quiet down. The other 10 percent? Well, they can be dealt with by bringing a conductor into the matter. This guy who pours hot coffee on and punches people for the heinous crime of speaking loudly on their phones...well, I hope he gets criminal charges pressed against him (it shouldn't be a problem to find a few witnesses in such an enclosed space as a train car). That kind of 'vigilante justice' crap has no place here.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:33 AM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,072 times
To Echo18, I won't dispute that construction workers hog seats up with their bags, but I will submit that executives are just as bad with their attache cases and such. That makes me crazy.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:12 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Some people, I am sorry to say, take up TWO of the smallish new seats and there is no room to sit next to them. Usually these people are eating tuna fish or something and their feet are up on the seat across from them so it is really three seats that they take up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island