Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 03:24 PM

8,802 posts, read 21,215,007 times

Advertisements

I guess everyone has read about the railroad "terrorist" who screams at loud cell phone talkers and has actually dumped coffee on and punched fellow riders he deems to be breaking the rules. What do you all think of him? He is right or not? What is your worst experience on the good old LIRR ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 03:37 PM

1,918 posts, read 7,087,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I guess everyone has read about the railroad "terrorist" who screams at loud cell phone talkers and has actually dumped coffee on and punched fellow riders he deems to be breaking the rules. What do you all think of him? He is right or not? What is your worst experience on the good old LIRR ?

Do I think some people deserve it? Yes, some do deserve some form of retaliation, but to dump coffee or punch people? NO WAY.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:19 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,643,377 times
Default That story really angered me

Quote:
I think it's pretty clear that he is an unstable person who needs to be banned from the train. I take a train each morning (Providence to Boston) and while it can be annoying when people talk on their cell phones, it's just one of those things you need to accept. According to Newsday he dumped coffee on a woman's head and also shoved a woman. He's also a retired cop. I can't help wondering how he would feel if someone poured coffee on his daughter's head because someone deemed she was talking too loud on the phone. I suppose he would say, "Well, honey, you really deserved it, you know.?"

Old 10-20-2007, 05:54 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,730,584 times
My worst experience was the evening of September 11, 2001. I was stuck in the city all day, because all mass transit was closed. Finally, we got limited service on the LIRR. There was a group of guys who seemed totally obilvious to the events of the day. They were drinking, laughing, carrying on, like (I assume) they always did on their commute home. It was so sad, I could have cried.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:47 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 954,308 times
That's the first I've heard of anyone who was carrying on and laughing on 9/11. What jerks. I can't stand many of the people on the train either but to dump coffee on someone else-- only an unstable person could do that. My personal peeve is the people who pile up their bags on the seat next to them, to deter others from sitting next to them. Like I'm going to stand all the way home so someone's bag can have the luxury of occupying a seat, after I paid for a ticket! Yeah, right. I never shy away from marching up to those people and politely asking them if I could please sit down. You can see that they don't like it, but so far everyone has moved his/her bag, as they should.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:20 PM

They were drinking, laughing, carrying on, like (I assume) they always did on their commute home. It was so sad, I could have cried.

On that terrible day, I left work early and the trains were running (like the fall of Saigon there was no schedule, it was just a mass exodus) and absolutely no one was laughing. Barely anyone was even speaking. I sat next to a man who was covered in ashes who had been on the sixty-eighth floor of one of the towers (at that time, I think they had not yet fallen). He and everyone else sat in stunned silence.
In the distance as we moved east, we could see the towers burning.
I am sorry for your experience, Tom and I most certainly would have cried.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:34 PM

491 posts, read 824,400 times
Quote:
I'd give him a medal, these rude cell "yappers" derserve everything they get and more. I was on line behind a soccermom in Raindew in Manhasset. She get to the cash regester and takes a cell call and preceeds to yap for over on full minute when all she had to do was swipe her card.
I swiped my arm instead and threw all her stuff on the floor.
All the people on line cheered, I got my pack of cigeretts (cash exact change)
Back to the LIRR.
You cant even ride the 7:16AM out of Port Washington without a gas mask.
These Wall Streeters must soak themselves with full bottles of perfume and aftershave.
It's absurd, I literally could not ride those morning trains without getting sick. To me it smelled like being locked in a dirty bathroom with a soiled cat litterbox.

Worst experience:
This was on the Port Washington line at Shea after a U2 (Irish preach-rock group) concert. All these drunks with 16oz beer cans board Port Washing bound train and starting stomping there feet singing "All we a saying give peace a chance" NON STOP. After 10 minutes of this fights broke out,. A conductor and other passengers were attacked, the train was stopped in Manhasset to a sea of police cars.
Several were arrested including a father and son hit and run over a ticket taker (detaining them) over in the parking lot. My nice blue velvet jacket got ripped and some punks blood on it.
I was so pissed off, I had just had it custom tailored.
Armed plain clothes cops need to be select trains

Last edited by Joe L; 10-21-2007 at 03:03 PM..

Old 10-21-2007, 04:39 PM

....and I always thought that the Port Washington line was the classy train .

Old 10-21-2007, 04:43 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,007,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
I think it's pretty clear that he is an unstable person who needs to be banned from the train. I take a train each morning (Providence to Boston) and while it can be annoying when people talk on their cell phones, it's just one of those things you need to accept.
Why? Actually, it's one of the things polite people should not do.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:55 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,643,377 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Why? Actually, it's one of the things polite people should not do.
It's not polite, and I understand that it should not be done, but in all seriousness, should someone have coffee dumped on her head? And what a tough retired cop, shoving women because he's annoyed. I hope he gets punched in the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island