Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times

Advertisements

Funny you say that...the liquor stores did have quit a few cars at them yesterday eve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
I mailed my bill to LIPA and it was returned by the post office, I thought they made a mistake until I read the PO sticker indicating the LIPA mail permit had expired, unbelieveable. What a company!

Old 02-08-2013, 02:34 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Apparently not - LIPA is predicting 100,000 customers losing power during the storm.....but don't fear they are also predicting they would restore outages within 24 hours!!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 02:42 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I mailed my bill to LIPA and it was returned by the post office, I thought they made a mistake until I read the PO sticker indicating the LIPA mail permit had expired, unbelieveable. What a company!

Could it be that you used an old envelope? If I'm not mistaken, they stopped providing "free" envelopes a while back; in fact I just checked the one that came with my bill and it required a stamp.

National Grid still provides "free" envelopes.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Could it be that you used an old envelope? If I'm not mistaken, they stopped providing "free" envelopes a while back; in fact I just checked the one that came with my bill and it required a stamp.

National Grid still provides "free" envelopes.
It's possible or maybe I mixed them up, if that's the case I take back all those bad things I said about LIPA.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:15 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,240 times
nemo= omen spelled backwards! Coincidence? IDK.....

Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Does LIPA have the 5 service trucks gassed and ready to handle the outages...

Old 02-08-2013, 05:06 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Does LIPA have the 5 service trucks gassed and ready to handle the outages...
Two of them are actually out of service from a freak sunny day accident, a typical problem that plagues LIPA to this day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-08-2013, 06:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
A boat load of out of state electric trucks sit at the Marriott on the LIE again.

There goes our rates even higher.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:21 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,240 times
LIPA has been proven as ineffective in supplying power to it's customers, at present we all remain `gun-shy because of the toll that Sandy took,
the overly padded agency which had it's fist up their a$$es as we scrambled for an existence like chicks in a pen or a coop. Here and now, we see the
over-protective nature of a beast utilitiy, an agency which we cannot control, tightening-up their game in accordance with weather predictions.
Where in hell are the days when wen `took-it-on-the-chin, cooped up at home and tried to make the best of a bad situation? The media has called our
attention to the laxities of our overseers, those who've skimmed off public and taxpayer funds in the guise of our welfare, trust me to say that they are
all running scared. Day after ady I read newsday reports about the inadequacies of our system, more and more, I get a deeper understanding of the very
ineptitude of our administrators, hardly more than a circus of clowns and incompetants who have lost touch with the citizenry, a collection of uncaring
souls who have secured a personal foothold in the `gravy-train of political appointment, the luxuriant situation which keeps them so highly regarded
within their crony circles, and so far out of sympathy for the masses.

This is an exercise of closing the barn doors again, the `better safe than sorry school of thought, the overstuffed agencies have pulled out all of the stops
and are earning their salararies by sticking to Lonnie quinn's weather forecast, taking no chances that this is a `false alarm. Home depot is out of rocksalt,
batteries and generators, snow-shovels are as scarce as hens teeth, they've forecast that we'll all be like jack Nicholson as he `unwrapped', in the Shining,
they're keeping us on our toes and I can't help but feel that we are being led somehow, like sheep to the pen, told to stock up on foodstuffs, water, batteries
and every other thing that a stimulated economy will produce. Where are the days when we looked forward to a snowbound Saturday morning, Wonderama,
Sandy Becker or `The Clubhouse Gang, complete with Leo Gorcy, Huntz Hall or Bobby Hallock, perhaps even a `Jiffy-Pop popcorn pan in the fireplace or a
chance to curl up with our stamp collection? Sure, they've failed us, flat-out robbed many of us of that sense of security that seemed to be so much a part
of our younger days, and I'd be willing to excuse most of them if it were not for the feeling that in the twinkling of an old eye, the system by which we exist
today, has not seemed to sour berore this old eye. As I grow older, I get smarter, that's the way it was meant to be, but my education is becoming more costly
by each new turn of events, whether it is bullyism, PSTD, crooked politicians, black presidents, gay Boy Scouts or Honey Boo Boo, I'm seeing such a change in
this country that I often fight the urge to wretch.

Since we have begun to `privatize America, we have organizations like Halliburton and prison systems that
must show profit at any cost. These old eyes can't reconcile so much about the direction that `My country tis of thee is headed. In fact I'm trying to come to
a decision whether my last throes are going to be by medication or carbon monoxide. We can lose faith in many things, but when we have lost faith in those whom
we turn to for guidance and direction, it is then that we are truly lost. Every thing that I eat turns to $hi*, everything that our administrators touch or meddle with,
brings us closer to the tar- pits of obsolescence. The storm will blow over, we will survive, and if worse comes to worst, we can always fire up Shoreham, our
`big-brother to the east. Wasn't that a plan that our administrators foisted upon us? Time is for us to take the rings out of our noses, to stop being led over the cliff,
we're not sheep nor lemmings, but real people looking only to find happiness and success for our efforts. We are doing our parts, we're paying the taxes, stepping
gingerly to their drums, buyint their gasoline and Bimbo bread, existing in a world of Walmart, BJ's wholesal and Checkers hamberger specials, isn't it time that we say
collectively, "we've had enough, NO more"? I keep wondering about what point in our abuse as citizens, we will stand-up against them, the those who have it `made,
as I see every coming change in the benefit of being a Long Islander, i can't help but wonder what it will take for us to arrive at a collective mentality, `we're all being
Fu*ced, lulled into a false sense of security by a class of parasitc takers who'll suck out every last bit of life that we have, and they'll do it within a framework of self
preserved clauses or bylaws that they themselves have set in protective place, done with the understanding that it will always be an `us against them world. I often
pick and choose my words, my all encompassing word is `disgusting, the very state of affairs as it deals with the way our leaders are treating us. Can you find a better
word? I just know that surely you can find a better world. Have at me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island