Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 PM

36 posts, read 142,299 times

Advertisements

I have a 7-8 ft long by 1 1/2ft wide sky light in the kitchen. Only have been in the house for 2 months so I am unsure of the brand and/or construction details. There are no cracks or splinters but I hear the ceiling make a creek sound every so often. Maybe just wood settling from the snow weight or maybe frosty is trying to come through my roof. Either way anyone think that snow weight alone can bust through a ceiling or skylight? House is 1983, skylight is much newer than that, and roof is pitched at the standard 30-50 degree incline. We are in Stony Brook and the snow is nearing 2 feet. Im weighing the risk of going out with a ladder to knock some snow off the area. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 12:56 AM

169 posts, read 500,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudveteranusa View Post
I have a 7-8 ft long by 1 1/2ft wide sky light in the kitchen. Only have been in the house for 2 months so I am unsure of the brand and/or construction details. There are no cracks or splinters but I hear the ceiling make a creek sound every so often. Maybe just wood settling from the snow weight or maybe frosty is trying to come through my roof. Either way anyone think that snow weight alone can bust through a ceiling or skylight? House is 1983, skylight is much newer than that, and roof is pitched at the standard 30-50 degree incline. We are in Stony Brook and the snow is nearing 2 feet. Im weighing the risk of going out with a ladder to knock some snow off the area. Thanks.
I'd go on the roof and clear the snow. Not necessarily because of the skylight (although that certainly adds to the concern), but just because that's a lot of snow and it's heavy and wet.

Be careful. One way you can prevent yourself from triggering a mini-avalanche and sliding off is by laying on the roof instead of kneeling.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:34 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Quote:

NO!!!!!
It will be fine! At only 18" wide the weight is not near enough to break it!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:54 AM

328 posts, read 682,189 times
I have a 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 foot skylight for many years, with 2 or 3 feet on it, never a problem. Never went on roof to take off snow. But even at 18 inches you may have a problem. It all depends on the direction of the ceiling beams. If the 18 inches runs with the beams, meaning only one beam was removed to install it, it is probably not a problem. But if the 8 feet runs across all the beams, that means 5 beams where removed. The beams must be built up properly to support to roof with heavy framing and interlocked/tied together properly. If someone (homeowner?) did this and does not know what he was doing--you are at risk. Since you are not familiar with this, get a professional to look at this and correct it. That would be much cheaper than if it falls in and you therefore need to replace the roof and new skylight, plus the internal damage. You also might want to check with the building dept, need a permit to do this. When my skylight was put in by a professional carpenter, the building dept may him increase to size of the supports by 50% due the the weight redistribution involved. If no permit, go after the previous owner to pay for correction if needed.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:55 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
Local news showed a house collapsing from the snow yesterday as well as the roof of a bowling alley.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
don't think it's worth the risk , especially if you are not comfortable walking up there.
We have had two 3'x3' skylights and never had problems.
Remember the snow melts quicker above the skylights due to the heat in your home rising up there also.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:13 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
You will be fine. Much more dangerous to go up there.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
It will be fine....it was fit between the roof rafters....no rafteres were removed.

Very dangerous to remove snow from your roof.

Plus I see alot of damage done to roofs because of snow removal.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:41 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
By Frank Eltman
The Associated Press

Trouble viewing the video? Download Flash player here
Related Article:
Off-duty Mass. firefighter dies heart attack clearing snow
Related content sponsored by:

LAKE GROVE, N.Y. — One of the biggest malls on Long Island was evacuated Monday because of major roof leaks after a rainstorm followed nearly 3 feet of snow, police said.

The Smith Haven Mall in Suffolk County was cleared by 4 p.m. Monday after significant leaks were detected in more than a dozen stores. Police worried the roof could collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island