U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM

1,958 posts, read 1,816,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
As of Thursday night the weather forecasters were saying that the worst of it was going to be around 3PM.

Unless LI town officials don't have radios and TV's, they should have had their assets mobilized by 3PM, not sitting in yards waiting for the storm to end, as is what apparently happened with Town of Brookhaven.
Apparently they were hanging out with their counterparts in Islip, Smithtown, Riverhead, Suffolk County and State DOT
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,856,685 times
Another factor is the fact that the plow drivers for the state,Countys and towns are union and anyone thats been in a union knows what "Milking the Job" means.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 AM

506 posts, read 297,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
I am not defending the town or anything, ...
Except that you are. In past storms, even with storms of this magnitude, plows and sanders were mobilized immediately. They took a proactive approach to the storm and had plows running throughout the storms. This storm, it simply wasn't the case. They waited until there was already 3 feet of snow on the ground before they started to do anything.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 AM

13,699 posts, read 15,439,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Long Islands unplowed conditions was just on the news here in Richmond. They didn't identify the town but 2 individuals mentioned was the town sup who is on vacation and the supervisor of roads who has called in sick every day. Does not look good.....
Brookhaven.

Newly elected Supervisor is on a tropical vacation. He left on Wednesday. One of the next in command, Murphy, was out with a toothache, leaving a panicky Panico to run the show.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM

368 posts, read 279,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Seen numerous Brookhaven vehicles driving around with their plows up. Heard through the grapevine that this is a collective effort by town employees to "voice" their displeasure at the layoffs and lack of manpower. After this, they'll claim that plows were out, but they were simply too short-handed to handle it due to layoffs and no new hires. Additionally, in past storms, I had seen and heard plows out throughout the storm. I didn't see a single town vehicle during this storm, and I live on a fairly busy road in the Township.

If that is true, then all these workers need to be fired immediately and bring in some of the many people that are desperately looking for work. No excuses. This is not a time to pull BS like that!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 PM

418 posts, read 441,127 times
Happy to be out of the house finally. Street got plowed late last night.
Even the fallen trees were taken care of last night!

This is the university parking this morning - piles of maybe 20ft of snow?

Now, I see all the trees (signature of the North Shore) as land mines - which ones will fall during the next storm or wind >40mph and how much will that cost...
Attached Thumbnails
No plows?-parking.jpg  

Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM

138 posts, read 153,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
They should have been out salting /brine and sanding early on Friday. My neighbor works in Melville and left work at 4 (boss wasn't letting anyone go too early) She said it was bad when she hit 454/347. Took her 3 hours overall. Had plows been out on 347/454 or the LIE BEFORE rush hour, we might not have seen abandoned vehicles on any of those roads.

This is another issue I think the media should have addressed. The fact that despite all of the warnings businesses were not allowing their workers to leave!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:06 PM

7,262 posts, read 7,424,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1219 View Post
This is another issue I think the media should have addressed. The fact that despite all of the warnings businesses were not allowing their workers to leave!

Blizzard, pffft, just their lazy "employees" looking to put one over on the job creators. Be happy you have a job, peons.

Where's GPSMA when you need some comedy?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM

8,848 posts, read 9,769,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
I am not defending the town or anything, but I have lived in 2 other cities where we got ~3 feet of snow and the response was not any better. There is a huge, wild difference between even 2 feet of snow and nearly 3. Maybe I am not shocked because I have been through a storm like this before but the aftermath is not pretty. A regular pickup truck with a plow on the front is not going to cut it with 3 feet of snow.

Also the tricky thing about this storm was that it was forecast to start much later. My daughter was at school and I looked outside at 1:30pm and it was snowing like crazy and I went to get her by 2pm. Had I waited until 3pm for the regular dismissal, it would have been ugly. Most people can't drive in the snow and even though I have a 4 wheel drive car and have experience driving in these conditions, I know that snow removal depends on people being off the roads. They can't plow if abandoned cars are blocking the road.

I know everyone loves to blame someone in every situation, but sometimes bad things happen. It is not always someone's fault! It was a convergence of several factors-- sleet changing over to snow earlier, evening rush hour, getting more snow than predicted. We got 28 inches and we were supposed to get 8-18. That is a difference of 10 inches.

Listen, this happens very rarely here. It is unfortunate that it happened this year, but just be glad that you don't live in places where it snows like this all of the time! That's why I live here now instead of in Montreal.
The governor of Mass ordered everyone off the roads by - what - 3 p.m. Friday? This kind of action solves the problem of greedy bosses who keep their employees at work till the 11th hour.

The amounf of snow is a moot point right now. Whether it ended being a bust at 6 inches or you got 3 feet when you expected half that amount, you cannot start plowing when the storm is over. I've never heard of such a thing, even on LI.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 PM

3,344 posts, read 1,961,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The governor of Mass ordered everyone off the roads by - what - 3 p.m. Friday? This kind of action solves the problem of greedy bosses who keep their employees at work till the 11th hour.

The amounf of snow is a moot point right now. Whether it ended being a bust at 6 inches or you got 3 feet when you expected half that amount, you cannot start plowing when the storm is over. I've never heard of such a thing, even on LI.
Oh please with the Greedy Bosses Occupy Wall Street bloviating propoganda. There are people that need to work and are in jobs that are necessary....police, firemen, nurses, to just name a few. You would be the first to have a hissy fit if someone wasnt working when YOU needed their services.
Anyone that has an office job in Manhattan was beating feet out of there real quick on Friday so stop blaming the Greedy Boss ogre for this problem. I bet half those idiots stuck had no business driving to begin with. Probably women rushing back from the nail salon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island