Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The real idictment was no plows out overnight. You can't have a storm like this and not have plows out all night before the roads get impassable. I'm guessing the excuse was that the roads were impassable because of stranded cars on main roads.

The news was saying on Thursday night that the worst of it would start at 3pm Friday. They should have had armadas of plows going down the LIE and 347 and Sunrise at that time..the main roads should have never deteriorated like they did.
They should have been out salting /brine and sanding early on Friday. My neighbor works in Melville and left work at 4 (boss wasn't letting anyone go too early) She said it was bad when she hit 454/347. Took her 3 hours overall. Had plows been out on 347/454 or the LIE BEFORE rush hour, we might not have seen abandoned vehicles on any of those roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
Quote:
The real idictment was no plows out overnight. You can't have a storm like this and not have plows out all night before the roads get impassable. I'm guessing the excuse was that the roads were impassable because of stranded cars on main roads.

The news was saying on Thursday night that the worst of it would start at 3pm Friday. They should have had armadas of plows going down the LIE and 347 and Sunrise at that time..the main roads should have never deteriorated like they did.

The snow started to fall very heavy here around 3:30 Friday afternoon. It was falling so fast that it was evident the streets would be an issue. IMO, the plows and salters should have been on the road at 4PM the LATEST, and worked throughout the night. Had they been proactive about it, and not reactive, we wouldn't have had anywhere near the mess we had with cars getting stuck, etc. I saw my first plow Friday night - with it's plow up. It was a Town of Brookhaven vehicle, not a pickup, but one of the much larger heavy machinery vehicles. Then it passed my house a few more times throughout the night. I live on a busy road, and every Town plow I saw pass by had it's plow up. Completely inexcusable. A vehicle with it's plow down didn't hit us until the early morning hours of Saturday the 9th - once - and then again on Sunday - once. We didn't get multiple passes until yesterday and the roads are finally looking halfway decent.

IMO some heads need to roll for this debacle. Like I said...inexcusable.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:13 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
They should have been out salting /brine and sanding early on Friday. My neighbor works in Melville and left work at 4 (boss wasn't letting anyone go too early) She said it was bad when she hit 454/347. Took her 3 hours overall. Had plows been out on 347/454 or the LIE BEFORE rush hour, we might not have seen abandoned vehicles on any of those roads.
I left work at 4 also, and my normal 15-20 minute commute becaume almost an hour.

The big issue was rear wheel drive vehicles...Lexus, Mercedes, etc. With even a minor upgrade and how icy the roads were, they went nowhere once they had to stop.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times
Holbrook inroads are horrible.... you can really test if your vehicle suspension is ok .... OR break it. Stick to the main roads as much as possible.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,008 times
I think if the plows were out in the afternoon - then they might have been able to push the few inches of slush/ice off the road - making their job of clearing the large amount of snow AFTER the storm easier. I went out to get pizza at 4PM on Friday and it was so bad that I started to second guess my decision to even go. I imagine it got progressively worse as the evening wore on. Anyone who was stuck at work past 4PM was almost certain to fall victim to the storm and the inept handling of it by officials.

Still have yet to see anyone in the media holding the politician's feet to the fire on this one - just a lot of polite softball interviews.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,008 times
Quote:
I can remember in far less significant storms - driving on the LIE and seeing gangs of three monster plows staggered slightly behind one another in each of the 3 lanes - plowing the entire roadway. Now - if such plowing started taking place in the early afternoon on Friday - continuing through Saturday morning - then I imagine they would not have had to shut down the LIE for 2 days - no?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:18 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,815 times
I am not defending the town or anything, but I have lived in 2 other cities where we got ~3 feet of snow and the response was not any better. There is a huge, wild difference between even 2 feet of snow and nearly 3. Maybe I am not shocked because I have been through a storm like this before but the aftermath is not pretty. A regular pickup truck with a plow on the front is not going to cut it with 3 feet of snow.

Also the tricky thing about this storm was that it was forecast to start much later. My daughter was at school and I looked outside at 1:30pm and it was snowing like crazy and I went to get her by 2pm. Had I waited until 3pm for the regular dismissal, it would have been ugly. Most people can't drive in the snow and even though I have a 4 wheel drive car and have experience driving in these conditions, I know that snow removal depends on people being off the roads. They can't plow if abandoned cars are blocking the road.

I know everyone loves to blame someone in every situation, but sometimes bad things happen. It is not always someone's fault! It was a convergence of several factors-- sleet changing over to snow earlier, evening rush hour, getting more snow than predicted. We got 28 inches and we were supposed to get 8-18. That is a difference of 10 inches.

Listen, this happens very rarely here. It is unfortunate that it happened this year, but just be glad that you don't live in places where it snows like this all of the time! That's why I live here now instead of in Montreal.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Long Islands unplowed conditions was just on the news here in Richmond. They didn't identify the town but 2 individuals mentioned was the town sup who is on vacation and the supervisor of roads who has called in sick every day. Does not look good.....

Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
I am not defending the town or anything, but I have lived in 2 other cities where we got ~3 feet of snow and the response was not any better. There is a huge, wild difference between even 2 feet of snow and nearly 3. Maybe I am not shocked because I have been through a storm like this before but the aftermath is not pretty. A regular pickup truck with a plow on the front is not going to cut it with 3 feet of snow.

Also the tricky thing about this storm was that it was forecast to start much later. My daughter was at school and I looked outside at 1:30pm and it was snowing like crazy and I went to get her by 2pm. Had I waited until 3pm for the regular dismissal, it would have been ugly. Most people can't drive in the snow and even though I have a 4 wheel drive car and have experience driving in these conditions, I know that snow removal depends on people being off the roads. They can't plow if abandoned cars are blocking the road.

I know everyone loves to blame someone in every situation, but sometimes bad things happen. It is not always someone's fault! It was a convergence of several factors-- sleet changing over to snow earlier, evening rush hour, getting more snow than predicted. We got 28 inches and we were supposed to get 8-18. That is a difference of 10 inches.

Listen, this happens very rarely here. It is unfortunate that it happened this year, but just be glad that you don't live in places where it snows like this all of the time! That's why I live here now instead of in Montreal.
As of Thursday night the weather forecasters were saying that the worst of it was going to be around 3PM.

Unless LI town officials don't have radios and TV's, they should have had their assets mobilized by 3PM, not sitting in yards waiting for the storm to end, as is what apparently happened with Town of Brookhaven.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Long Islands unplowed conditions was just on the news here in Richmond. They didn't identify the town but 2 individuals mentioned was the town sup who is on vacation and the supervisor of roads who has called in sick every day. Does not look good.....
That would be Crookhaven Town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island