Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:42 PM

93 posts, read 606,870 times

Advertisements

We were looking at a house to buy in Speonk and then we found out that there is a HUGE toxic plum that runs from Sunrise to past Montauk highway. We really liked the house but we backed out because of this plume (we just found out about it after we found the house) and that recently (this Dec) the state decided not to clean it up. Apparently this has been an issue for over 10 years. Anyone have any more info on this plume? I have seen a 16 thousand page report from the NYS DEC but have not read the whole thing. I have also read some articles saying that people and pets are experiencing odd types of cancer. Anyone have any more info about this? Even though we have decided against Speonk for this reason I am still concerned as a Long Islander that the state feels this is not a necessity to clean up. Has anyone had first hand experince with those who have become sick from the plume? or even any other personal info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 06:13 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeaitsme View Post
We were looking at a house to buy in Speonk and then we found out that there is a HUGE toxic plum that runs from Sunrise to past Montauk highway. We really liked the house but we backed out because of this plume (we just found out about it after we found the house) and that recently (this Dec) the state decided not to clean it up. Apparently this has been an issue for over 10 years. Anyone have any more info on this plume? I have seen a 16 thousand page report from the NYS DEC but have not read the whole thing. I have also read some articles saying that people and pets are experiencing odd types of cancer. Anyone have any more info about this? Even though we have decided against Speonk for this reason I am still concerned as a Long Islander that the state feels this is not a necessity to clean up. Has anyone had first hand experince with those who have become sick from the plume? or even any other personal info?

Toxic plumes in ground water are all too common in a suburban area like Long Island. They come from leaky gasoline and home heating oil tanks at service stations and garages. Another source is dry cleaning fluids and industrial solvents or degreasers. It was and is a issue in the areas adjacent to Brookhaven Nat'l Laboratory which before 1947 was a US Army base called Camp Upton It was common practice to dig pits in the sandy soil and pour waste chemica;s like the above named dry cleaning fluid (An army post with as many as 60,000 personnel has a lot of dress green uniforms to clean). Unfortunately before the 1990s BNL often disposed of waste chemicals and other junk in burial pits. Things kind of blew up in their faces when it was discovered that leaks from two nuclear reactors and a pit where they disposed of radioactive metal junk were leaking and there was a 1/2 mile radioactive plume directed towards Shirely- Mastic. Cleaning up ground water plumes is an expensive but doable project but may not be done due to something called triage (i.e the affected might not be all that important and it may be cheaper to just provide 'city water" and forget about using the ground water).
So in these days of tight finances you know what the choice will be.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:08 AM

There are reports of measurable levels of vapor in a few houses but unless they test the entire area then how would they know how bad it is? Also a resident reports that animals on her block had paw and heart cancer. I have already made my decision to look elsewhere I just can't see how finances can justify not cleaning it up. I understand it but in the bigger picture we all share this island and to have such a huge plume just abandoned by the state is scary. They are not even recommending continued monitoring. It's just mind blowing!

Old 02-20-2013, 04:37 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Have there been any cases in the U.S. where plumes have been fully remediated from heavily residential areas?

Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 AM

I am going to google that now FHD let me see if I can find info about that.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:51 AM

It appears in San Diego there has been success in cleaning them up. I think the problem in Speonk is that the state wants to find the source and make them pay. Environmental Health Coalition - Toxic Cleanup

Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 AM

Here is the discussion about Bethpage's plume and there is a lot of info about the issues with the plume on here. None specific to Speonk's plume but a lot of interesting discussion on how it has impacted health and home sales or not.... Bethpage Toxic Plume/ Plainview Old Bethpage

Old 02-20-2013, 04:08 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeaitsme View Post
Is this the site in question?
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/remediati...2123fssept.pdf

I wonder if this subdivision ever received approval:
17-Home Development Project Proposed in Remsenburg - Westhampton-Hampton Bays, NY Patch

Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,154 times
what about that there radon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island