Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 AM

78 posts, read 203,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My understanding is that PEX is supposed to be quieter than copper. As for PEX vs. copper, PEX is a much more inexpensive material (as opposed to copper) so some folks might opt for it for budgetary reasons as well. It's less susceptible to freeze/bursting than copper, but is made up of oil, and has the potential (due to exposure to hot water running through) for chemical leaching into drinking water. It's a toss up.
Pex is also less susceptible to being ripped out of a vacant house by drug addicts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 10:27 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
Pex is also less susceptible to being ripped out of a vacant house by drug addicts!
Thats why I had all my copper replaced with it,keeps the bad guys away and I now get a discount on my home owners insurance.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:55 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
They'll still have to destroy your walls to see whether or not there's copper in there.

My primary concern for PEX plumbed homes would be the date of the install. Prior to 2001, PEX was found to leach MTBEs into the water. People were advised to flush their pipes daily or to install reverse osmosis purifiers.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 PM

730 posts, read 1,657,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Let me know how those pex fittings are holding up in 30 years.
Because PEX is flexible, there are much fewer fittings. You can easily do "home runs" from the basement to the bathroom and kitchen.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:59 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,244 times
Since you clowns have started to argue who knows more about copper vs pex, and who has the most knowledge on the subject instead of answering the OP's question, which should be the main purpose of this thread...

The ticking could be the noise you hear from the water meter. I had new 3/4" service plumbed into my house, and noticed the same ticking noise you speak of. It's nothing to be concerned about. You'll forget about it in a few weeks.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Actually you are the clown. If you read the op you would know it wasn't the water meter.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 PM

69 posts, read 93,316 times
Default which way did he go boss ><

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Since you clowns have started to argue who knows more about copper vs pex, and who has the most knowledge on the subject instead of answering the OP's question, which should be the main purpose of this thread...
The title of the thread is "Red flexible water pipe". If you keep looking around, I'm sure you'll find the "clueless dimwits with nothing to offer" thread. Lord knows I've started a few in my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
The ticking could be the noise you hear from the water meter. I had new 3/4" service plumbed into my house, and noticed the same ticking noise you speak of. It's nothing to be concerned about. You'll forget about it in a few weeks.
OK scratch that...I didn't realize you couldn't read

Old 02-22-2013, 07:07 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
We re-did most of the house in 2011 and the contractor/plumber used the plastic tubing. He stated that's how it's all done now and is easier to work with. I'm sure it being cheaper is a plus too. We have no noise coming from them. Very quiet when the baseboard heat is running too.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 PM

73 posts, read 187,674 times
The ticking you here may be because your plumber didn't secure the pex properly. Pex expands and contracts, and when it's touching wood it causes those ticking sounds. Make sure the pex is isolated from the wood and those sounds should go away. I wouldn't use pex for drinking water though. Copper has properties in it that kill some bacteria and pex doesn't offer that.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 AM

126 posts, read 222,086 times
We had those same ticking noises 25 years ago with copper. Like bmg said, it is possible that the plumber didn't properly secure it.

I love pex, but would not have buried fittings in the walls - the good thing about it is that you can have homeruns to the basement manifold. Not having any joints or fittings is one of its attractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island