Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:12 AM

260 posts, read 451,131 times

Advertisements

If I didn't own a house on LI I would have been able to transfer with my job to Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:19 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
But what are YOU doing about it??

Im pretty sure ranting and raving on a message board isnt doing much to correct it.
It's a discussion forum, not a message board. He is discussing it. Ranting and raving is fun and lowers stress.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:20 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No Brooklyn hipster is ever gonna admit they are moving to Levittown. Just not gonna happen. Even with mongoose there!

Unpretentiousil Medicine Commercial To Heal Hipster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GexI...layer_embedded

Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Scout View Post
If I didn't own a house on LI I would have been able to transfer with my job to Hawaii.
Isn't that as expensive (or more for some things) than Long Island?

Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Oh, hell yes. Nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. What's gas there right now - probably $5 + per gallon. Food, forget it. Everything has to be shipped in.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I was at an event this weekend and met a guy from Chicago. Very similar lifestyle, union carpenter, managed a karate dojo for kids, etc. Would fit perfectly in Levittown. We went to Miller's for lunch. When I told him my taxes were $12k for 1800 sqft he nearly crapped himself. Is that the reaction we are looking for?! He said "this neighborhood looks just like mine and I pay $5400 for 2000sqft." Makes ME think about moving. Who wouldn't?
What I'm wondering is, when is the bottom going to fall out with the property taxes for the middle class homes on LI?

It's all fine and well for the bankers who can buy $1.2 million dollar homes with $26K taxes two or three at a clip. I'm talking about regular houses for regular, normal middle class people. When the taxes in Levittown get to be $26K will a guy like this "be a pal" and buy a house there instead of RVC to support the public sector unions who feast at the trough of Levittown taxes?

When does the value proposition get too ridiculous for the middle class? I have seen $199,000 houses for sale in Levittown with $12,000 annual taxes on mlsli.com. Who's going to buy that? Really? What's going to happen when the taxes on houses of these values are even more? Where does it end? Will we have abandoned streets like some places in California already do? Will places in the future just turn into absentee landlord flophouse slums? Or are the taxes even going to be too much for slumlords?

For all the people (usually public sector union members or their families) that say, "Nyah! Nyah! If you can't AFFORD Long Island, then move out, you bum, so somebody with more money can move in!" I say, "Do you think multi-millionaires are going to be buying in Levittown because they can afford the real estate taxes as a personal favor to the public sector unions? Don't count on it."

The public sector unions are VORACIOUS and they know high property taxes with no control over raising them are THEIR PAYDAY. They are not going to go quietly without their raises, pensions, and bennies. I read yesterday in Newsday that a huge NYS public school teacher's union actually has the nerve to SUE over the 2% property tax cap (which is woefully inefficient anyway). The taxpayers, there's no multi-billion dollar union to take legal action in our interest, that's for sure. They claim it's "unconstitutional" or some such nonsense. How about their capturing and grossly inflating the costs of the market on public school teaching? They have a monopoly there that they do not deserve and are using it to totally abuse the taxpayers. But that's okay in their minds.

So what do you think the future is for middle class homes with upper class sized property taxes?

Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
the teachers complaining about losing their winter breaks due to Sandy are a sprecial breed of ***hole. On top of othat, my friend's wife was recently complaining that her district made them give up (or was it postpone?) their annual raises for two years. I countered with, "but you still get your step increases don't you?" The conversation quickly changed to something else.
Good for you!

They hate it when people in the public are informed about their racket.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:26 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Sweet melt, LIMA.

Now calm down before you fall over.
Lol I know right? I couldn't even finish reading the post....

Old 02-22-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
What you see are people maxing out their credit cards, leasing their cars and taking out million-dollar-plus mortgages. Average Long Islanders are struggling and it's only getting worse.

People live for today and don't think about the future. Many don't pay attention to the political machinations that are taking the Island down. But it's not rocket science to predict the future here. Someone else eloquently pointed out all of those Long Island kindergarten teachers who make $125K and will be entitled to big pensions and lifetime health benefits down the road. Who do you think will pay for that? And just look at the lack of public transportation on Long Island and imagine what life will be like when gas hits $8 a gallon, which it inevitably will. The overall picture isn't pretty despite your free-spending friends.
I am wondering about this too. I was watching TV news the other day and they had a story about the rising gas prices on LI lately. They interviewed a gasoline industry professional and, contrary to what they usually say ("this is temporary because of blah blah blah"), he said that he does not predict prices going down significantly or failing to rise again at the usual times (start of summer, etc.). He says LI in particular is getting hit harder in prices due to a closure of a gasoline refinery in NJ and the projected closures of more in NJ to come.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:41 AM

260 posts, read 451,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You have a point there. At least I would have been able to enjoy the weather and the sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island