Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:26 PM

69 posts, read 93,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I remember people smoking in the dentist, doctor's offices and even in hospitals.
How about airplanes? When you think about that nowadays it's baffling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac811 View Post
Excuse me Twingles, if you don't like polluted air you don't have to breath it. Let's be serious for once. You get more pollution, radioactive isotopes, TB germs, and God knows what else just by using the NYC Subway system or the Long Island Expressway. By the way how do I know if your anti-persperent will cause alzhimers or your perfume will touch off a breathing spasm in others? I really don't smoke anymore but I think tonight in honor of this totally vapid and Long Island Eliteist thread I will light up one of my old pipes. Enjoy that smoke!
I'm sure your tinfoil hat will protect me from your pipe smoke. Just as it protects you from all those things you fear.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:32 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Swanson View Post
How about airplanes? When you think about that nowadays it's baffling
Yeah - the best was when movie theatres, planes, etc started making smokers sit in the back. Yeah, that helped!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 PM

69 posts, read 93,316 times
Quote:
Yeah - the best was when movie theatres, planes, etc started making smokers sit in the back. Yeah, that helped!
I haven't been on a plane where it was allowed since I quit...not sure when they stopped allowing it. But I can't imagine being in such a small area with all that smoke. Add in the risk of fire, and nowadays, terrorism (try getting a lighter on a plane)...it amazes me it ever was allowed

Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 AM

414 posts, read 808,699 times
People are vile, disgusting slobs. Especially most smokers. /thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
I dont care who I smoke near. You don't like it, move. You dont like it that I smoke on the train platform, call the cops.

I dont care.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac811 View Post
As a matter of fact. Cars there days really don't have ashtrays. At least ashtrays you can use. Years ago on cars of the 50's, 60's and 70's when smoking was much more accepted most cars had 2 in the front and 2 in the back.(and 4 lighters) they were big enough for cigars never mind ciggerettes. If you didnt smoke back then they were used for toll change. I don't approve of littering but try and find free standing ashtrays in a NY parking lot or outside of an office building today. remember when you were a kid and card shops, movie theaters and such had metal ashtrays in the lobby and by the door. Well people can't congreate and smoke anymore without the dissaproving looks of people who don't believe in smoking. The same people who don't mind breathing the air in the subway or the sent of pot at a concert, but heaven forbid they be exposed to second hand smoke.

I'm sorry but this isn't an excuse, just like how it's not an excuse for me to dump my illegal Big Gulp on the streets of NYC because there isn't a garbage can within arm's reach awaiting my deposit of sugary diabeetus goodness.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:06 AM

1,306 posts, read 1,664,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Is this legal ? seems every smoker on LI thinks it's an entitlement
No, its not legal, it's littering. Littering on LI is easily the most under-ticketed offense. I see car drivers all of the time throw gum wrappers, cigarette butts and food out of their car windows. How can someone be so bold to think the garbage they have just created should be tossed out of their car. I tell all my kids that someone who litters will have no respect for you.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 AM

140 posts, read 214,415 times
the most common litter i see is coffee cups soda cups and paper bags.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:17 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,008 times
Quote:
I remember people smoking in the dentist, doctor's offices and even in hospitals.
I can still remember going to the GP just down the road from where I grew up (I guess I was a little older and past the pediatrician stage) and him walking into the exam room with his white coat with a pack of cigarettes in the top pocket!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island