Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM

69 posts, read 93,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Despite the knee jerk reactions above, you have time to seek legal advice and make suitable arrangements as best you can. It's funny some blame you for "maybe" knowing you were in an illegal rental when the owner ABSOLUTELY knew it was an illegal rental. He can't just kick you out so he can convert to satisfy the town. He will either have to evict you (which you can drag out) or accept that you need some time to put together a plan and raise funds. If he wants you out that bad he can waive 2 or 3 months rent so you have funds to relocate. The "moral" responsibility isn't all on you as stated above. The moral thing is for both owner and tenant to work out something mutually acceptable, not the owner getting spooked by the town and kicking everyone to the curb. That's BS. Tell him you'll go in 6 months unless he wants to waive the next 2 months rent in which case you'll be out in 3 months. If you paid by check let a lawyer know you have a record of rent payments. If it was cash, not quite as good but still no reason for you to panic. Stay calm and fight for fair treatment. Good luck.
Since you quoted the word "moral", and I'm the only person that used "moral" in response to the OP, please elaborate on how exactly I said the "moral" responsibility was all on the OP.

What I said was based on the (fair, given the circumstances) assumption that the OP threatened legal action. If he consulted with an attorney for advice, that would be prudent. However, seeing as he posed this question here....I doubt that was the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
It's "funny" you didn't take the time to read the OP's entire post in which they admit they knew the place was illegal from day one before bashing people trying to help.
It's also "ironic" that he used the term "knee-jerk reaction"

Old 02-25-2013, 06:47 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
It's "funny" you didn't take the time to read the OP's entire post in which they admit they knew the place was illegal from day one before bashing people trying to help.
Like I said, the owner knew it was illegal too and he's the one breaking the law. The tenant has every right to drag it out and not end up on the street. As always, you don't refute my point, just find something stupid to snipe about. I said the best situation is for them to work out a deal to both sides satisfaction. What's the problem?

Old 02-25-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Swanson View Post
Since you quoted the word "moral", and I'm the only person that used "moral" in response to the OP, please elaborate on how exactly I said the "moral" responsibility was all on the OP.

What I said was based on the (fair, given the circumstances) assumption that the OP threatened legal action. If he consulted with an attorney for advice, that would be prudent. However, seeing as he posed this question here....I doubt that was the case.
I think consulting with a lawyer, especially as a senior was good advice. Saying "duh, you get what you deserve so get out quick" (not your post but one just above it) was idiotic advice. Who cares. Go argue with yourself. I'm trying to offer the OP advice. You and Mr. B-otch can suck eggs.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I think consulting with a lawyer, especially as a senior was good advice. Saying "duh, you get what you deserve so get out quick" (not your post but one just above it) was idiotic advice. Who cares. Go argue with yourself. I'm trying to offer the OP advice. You and Mr. B-otch can suck eggs.
Day-um..go argue with myself? Multiple personas yes. Simultaneous no.

Not my fault Torts started Biron on V day.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Swanson View Post
Day-um..go argue with myself? Multiple personas yes. Simultaneous no.

Not my fault Torts started Biron on V day.
Curious what your previous handle was. You seem to have been studying up on me. Anyway, Biron is not the issue. Not dropping the gloves when down 3-0 to a team who has their number and then cheap shots McDonough is a bad sign of lack of heart and THAT should be on Torts.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Curious what your previous handle was. You seem to have been studying up on me. Anyway, Biron is not the issue. Not dropping the gloves when down 3-0 to a team who has their number and then cheap shots McDonough is a bad sign of lack of heart and THAT should be on Torts.
If it isn't obvious who I am/was...you shouldn't be giving advice.

Torts sucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: