U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:33 PM

362 posts, read 419,992 times

Advertisements

A house with a bomb shelter?? I've bought twice on LI, and was never shown a house that had one. I would love to check one out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 06:54 PM

1,587 posts, read 152,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
A house with a bomb shelter?? I've bought twice on LI, and was never shown a house that had one. I would love to check one out.
Once upon a time, I lived in an apartment building in Kew Gardens. And, I discovered a whole big cache of civil defense supplies in the basement. Survival crackers. Water. First aid supplies. Booklets with instructions on how to decontaminate people.

Of course, there were so many primary targets in the NY/LI area back then, that all of that BS would have done you about as much good as a tinfoil hat.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:04 PM

7,859 posts, read 12,475,246 times
When I grew up in Roslyn Harbor, one family did build a bomb shelter (this was probably 1960 or so during that whole scare with Fidel Castro ) . It would be across from the Frick Estate (The Nassau County Museum now). Sometimes the family would allow us to go inside and explore. It was creepy , dank and dark actually. I wonder if it is still there. It's on Motts Cove Road.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:20 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 606,243 times
Yes, there is one I know of in Centerport. The house, a ranch, is in the "Old Centerport" section by the old post office. It dates to the 1950's. A friend who purchased the residence was surprised to find it! There was nothing inside, though.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 PM

1,876 posts, read 202,974 times
Quote:
Yes my cousin has one in their older home in Massapequa.

C

Old 10-23-2007, 09:35 PM

3,563 posts, read 4,478,535 times
A house on Bond St in NB had one. The house was one of the originals in the area and had a stocked BS for years. The family sold the house to a really horrible family and the next time that we saw it was when the HF had moved. Rats and roaches and crap. I did get to see it again after a new family bought the house and fixed it up using the sub-basements for storage.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:59 PM

13,827 posts, read 16,216,050 times
Quote:
A client's house in Stony Brook has one.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 AM

5 posts, read 14,963 times
Default Bomb Shelter

We had one in our backyard in East Meadow

Old 10-24-2007, 02:30 PM

362 posts, read 419,992 times
I've never seen a real estate listing that mentioned a BS as a selling point, if only as a conversation piece. I would imagine there are more around the island that you don't know about.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:06 PM

7,859 posts, read 12,475,246 times
Well, there haven't been any built for decades , I don't think. No one else on this board is probably old enough to remember air raid drills in school when we would get under our desks and cover our heads with our hands. Now, that would really be effective in a nuclear attack. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island