Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:20 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Your wife hasn't even had the child yet? Yikes. You are in for a big surprise taking the child to daycare every day in Queens and then moving on to NYC.

Didn't you say your wife works in Garden City? How is VS too far from there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 11:47 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Your wife hasn't even had the child yet? Yikes. You are in for a big surprise taking the child to daycare every day in Queens and then moving on to NYC.

I hope he is an early bird, that's for sure. It's not going to be easy fighting traffic to Queens, then taking the subway to work and then doing it again in the extended evening rush. If he gets out early every morning that will be key. Evening will be worse and not much you can do about it.

His wife wants 20 minutes or less commute. VS rush hour to GC (traffic thru Hempstead, etc.) will be something like 30-35 to GC proper (Franklin Ave etc) and if she works in East Garden City (Stewart Ave etc), more.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:53 PM

110 posts, read 215,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
In Hicksville on the lowest end of the market there are flophouses that house day laborers ... single men ... in illegal boarding houses ... actually overcrowded single family homes. Avoid them. Think if a house is too cheap there has got to be a reason and look closely at the neighbors. To a smaller degree I have heard this is happening in Levittown too. Before you put an offer, discuss location with local police for any activity on the block. Edited to add: not meaning to scare you; if I thought illegal alien boarding houses were extremely common in those areas, I would not recommend them at all. But you are looking in the lower price tier and you might as well be aware just in case so you don't end up next door to one by chance.

Levittown watch out for the real estate taxes. Look on mynassauproperty.com for the house and it will show you true taxes and how much they are scheduled to go up for 3 years and property value for 3 years. If value is projected to go down in the future, make sure you don't pay too much for the house. Use this website to look up every house you are interested in no matter where it is in Nassau. Also be aware if you are looking at a house within a Village, the Village property taxes are not on this website. You have to call the Village and ask.

East Meadow is the only other place I can think of that is in your target area and would have homes in your price and property tax range.
thanks for the info. we will look into east meadow as well.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

i will have to make a few trips during rush hour from the house i am considering and to queens to test out the commute.

too much traffic. it would be great if she can take local street for about 15 minutes to get to work.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I hope he is an early bird, that's for sure. It's not going to be easy fighting traffic to Queens, then taking the subway to work and then doing it again in the extended evening rush. If he gets out early every morning that will be key. Evening will be worse and not much you can do about it.

His wife wants 20 minutes or less commute. VS rush hour to GC (traffic thru Hempstead, etc.) will be something like 30-35 to GC proper (Franklin Ave etc) and if she works in East Garden City (Stewart Ave etc), more.
i am definitely not an early person. i can sleep till 2pm everyday if i didnt have to wake up for work...

i will make the sacrifice for our child. that's the main focus now.

i hear traffic starts at about 6am on the LIE??

Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 PM

any feedback on Wantagh??

Old 03-10-2013, 08:00 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyny View Post
Great town and school district. Keep in mind that parts of north wantagh is levittown SD (which is a decent district). Taxes usually run 10-12 grand on avg from what I've seen.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:36 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyny View Post
If I haven't mentioned it before, most houses aren't Gas heat but Oil (and many streets don't have gas lines). So your heating expenses may be higher because you have to pay for oil deliveries and if oil prices jump in any particular year, your heating costs will be higher. With gas heat, your costs are usually lower.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Great town and school district. Keep in mind that parts of north wantagh is levittown SD (which is a decent district). Taxes usually run 10-12 grand on avg from what I've seen.
12k taxes

Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
If I haven't mentioned it before, most houses aren't Gas heat but Oil (and many streets don't have gas lines). So your heating expenses may be higher because you have to pay for oil deliveries and if oil prices jump in any particular year, your heating costs will be higher. With gas heat, your costs are usually lower.
saw an amazing house today in Wantagh and is gas everything. oil tank is not in use for this particular house. spoke with the owner and they mentioned it is in a great SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island