Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 AM

429 posts, read 852,664 times

Advertisements

East Meadow school district is probably on-par with Levittown SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 09:49 AM

110 posts, read 215,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glags11 View Post
u want westbury BUT carle place schools..beautiful place to live...homes in your price range but will prob need work...
we looked into a few places in Salisbury as i hear it was a better neighborhood? a few agents recommended district 3 over district 1 in westbury.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
thanks for the heads up.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 AM

housing market is tough...

saw a house on thursday liked it enough to make a full asking price offer and seller accepted on friday. scheduled an inspection for tuesday but owner was not available till wednesday, ok. my agents calls back on tuesday night saying there is a higher offer now do you want to match it?

AHHHHHHHHHH, i cant win...

Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 AM

70 posts, read 180,883 times
um if the seller accepted your offer they cant take a now higher offer.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qnz2LI View Post
Sure, if you have it all in writing. Otherwise, it's all hearsay. And 50/50 the real estate agent is lying to try to get the buyer to bid against themselves. There's no way of knowing.

Buying a house is a dirty business.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:40 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
it's close, but Levittown is preferable. A few % points separate a lot of schools as you can see: LI School District Ranks 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qnz2LI View Post
If you're not under contract, an accepted offer doesn't mean anything. That's why people get lawyers involved and move to sign contracts asap. If you commit $400 to an inspection, you better sign the contract soon after it's done. It's a good thing you didn't pay yet.

If I were you I'd find out how long the house has been on the market. If it's recent (< 30 days), or if the price recently dropped, then having another offer can be true. If it's been on a while, I'd stand pat with your offer. They may tell you the other person dropped out a couple days from now seeing that you didn't go up. If you don't want to risk losing it, go up as long as you're comfortable paying it.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-29-2013 at 09:54 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
it's close, but Levittown is preferable. A few % points separate a lot of schools as you can see: LI School District Ranks 2013

If you're not under contract, an accepted offer doesn't mean anything. That's why people get lawyers involved and move to sign contracts asap. If you commit $400 to an inspection, you better sign the contract soon after it's done. It's a good thing you didn't pay yet.

If I were you I'd find out how long the house has been on the market. If it's recent (< 30 days), or if the price recently dropped, then having another offer can be true. If it's been on a while, I'd stand pat with your offer. They may tell you the other person dropped out a couple days from now seeing that you didn't go up. If you don't want to risk losing it, go up as long as you're comfortable paying it.
thanks for the list of schools.

the house has been on the market for 6 days today. i made the offer on the 2 or 3rd day it hit the market. maybe it wasnt meant to be.

my wife and i are not willing to go up for what the house is. we feel it's overpriced already but we made a full offer cause we didnt want to keep hunting and hoped this would be a smooth transaction.

can i get the contracts next time i make an offer and then schedule an inspection? i already lost an inspection fee a few months ago cause the contract was not in our favor. i'd really hate to lose another 400$ on another house...

Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 AM

253 posts, read 808,425 times
I paid for an inspection and a separate ($) sewer inspection.........and then backed out the contract cause something felt fishy.

Go with your guts !

Old 05-29-2013, 02:32 PM

70 posts, read 180,883 times
once your offer is accepted their/your attorney should put together the contract which should state it's contingent to the inspection report, etc... in this market no reason to bid against yourself or up your offers unless you have no problems spending the extra cash. there's tons of stock out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island