Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:34 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,536,773 times

Advertisements

Looking at houses in pw, specifically Baxter estates.

I notice houses along Central Drive with a small stream/brook running through the front yards. Are there any flooding issues with the small streams? Did they overflow during Sandy or any other major rain events?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 08:35 PM

241 posts, read 732,297 times
We went to go look at a house on hilltop road. It was on .50ac+ with the creek running in the yard. If the land pitches the same way, the house was at the highest point slowly pitching downward to the creek. We could never imagine the creek overflowing that high. We didnt buy that house, not becase of the creek but because the house interior was in need of a gut removal. Great area, low inventory. Good Luck!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 AM

335 posts, read 934,986 times
Dont know about the creek, but that house is under complete shade from May thru OCt......the tree canopy is so extensive there, that there is simply ZERO sunlight you will get from Spring thru Fall.....could get very very depressing year after year....its overpriced too....didnt sell last year either.....

Old 03-07-2013, 06:23 AM

Lack of sunshine doesn't bother me personally. I just noticed the house was pulled from the market right after Sandy, and now just relisted a lower price. Just wondering whether Sandy flooding had anything to do with it in that particular area of Port Washington with small streams.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 AM

28 posts, read 66,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Lack of sunshine doesn't bother me personally. I just noticed the house was pulled from the market right after Sandy, and now just relisted a lower price. Just wondering whether Sandy flooding had anything to do with it in that particular area of Port Washington with small streams.
Lack of sunshine = bad FENGSHUI, especially if you have little kid. Don't underestimate those trees when the bad weather coming. PW is a nice town, but from our house hunting experience over there, it is very difficult to find a good size house at a good location. Good Luck!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoHiChic71 View Post
Lack of sunshine = bad FENGSHUI, especially if you have little kid. Don't underestimate those trees when the bad weather coming. PW is a nice town, but from our house hunting experience over there, it is very difficult to find a good size house at a good location. Good Luck!
Thats funny you mention Fengshui because I happen to Chinese. I don't believe in that voodoo however. I worry more about trees falling on the house or streams flooding more than Fengshui.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Depending on elevation if there is a stream you may be required to obtain flood insurance. Find out if the stream is on the survey.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:17 AM

28 posts, read 66,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Thats funny you mention Fengshui because I happen to Chinese. I don't believe in that voodoo however. I worry more about trees falling on the house or streams flooding more than Fengshui.
That's what apply to Fengshui, not meaning anything superstitions.... environmential science.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:24 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,081 times
I believe you can (and should) check with the state DEC to see if that area contains any designated wetlands. There is a wetlands map somewhere on the DEC site and there is an office in, I believe, Stony Brook, where you can call to check.

If the stream is considered as such, it means you need special approvals to do any renovations within 100 feet of the wetlands. I know of a case where an owner unknowingly paid big bucks to tear down a house next to wetlands only to learn that it would take him three years of approvals before he could rebuild.

As others have mentioned, you should also track down the flood maps to see if there was any impact from Sandy.

P.S. I just Googled "flooding central drive port Washington" and came up with a page that said 19 Central Drive is within 619 feet of a "special flood hazard area." It always pays to check.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 AM

335 posts, read 934,986 times
I know the house....it is very small (about 1800SF) that sorely needs an extension....very little backyard too--all hilly so an extension is very difficult and will ruin the property IMHO. TONS of trees went down right near that house during Sandy (you can still see them) and one could fall right onto that house during the next one. If you do your homework and crunch the comps, they were about 200k overpriced last season and continue to be based on SF, location on major road, etc etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island