Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,294 times

Advertisements

i somehow manage to coach basketball and get to the gym 4-5x a week, still not sure how honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Check out this thread, especially Post #35 (which quotes post #24) to see why I do not consider commuting to NYC to be a reasonable lifestyle:
How some people work over 60 hours week and still have time for everything else?

My post (Post #35 was):

Keep in mind that if you live on Long Island and work in NYC, your commute is going to be much longer. There are very few jobs on Long Island, so if I lose my current job, my only option will likely be to commute to NYC. Also, any job that I get is not likely to pay enough to be able to move any closer to the city that I am currently living.

Also, engineering firms in NYC generally expect you to work, at an absolute minimum, 7 AM to 5 PM if you want any chance of keeping your job. You also did not factor in breakfast. I can pass out if I am on an empty stomach, so I need to eat breakfast in the morning.

Let's take the "best" case scenario: if I was able to get a job in One Penn Plaza (many engineering firms are located there), and was working "only" 7 AM to 5 PM, and was allowed to eat lunch during that time (I am not able to skip meals, and I would consider lunch to be a "reasonable accommodation". Whether or not employers agree, I don't know).

There is a 5:42 AM train that would get me to Penn Station at 6:58. That is probably not early enough if I have a job that expects me to report to work no later than 7 AM. So I would probably have to take the 5:29 AM train, which would get me to Penn Station at 6:38 AM. That could work if I'm working at One Penn Plaza.

Leaving work, I am not likely to be able to make the 5:01 PM train. Maybe, if I'm lucky, the 5:22 PM train, which would get me to Ronkonkoma at 6:38 PM.

I would probably leave home at 5:15 AM and return home around 7:00 PM on a "good" day. That is less than 10 hours. Suppose I sleep 6 hours, which is usually considered the minimum. That leaves 4 hours. And I haven't even factored in yet getting up in the morning, having breakfast, getting dressed, nor have I factored in yet having dinner, taking a shower, going to the gym, etc.

Dexter Morgan seems to factor in 1 hour for his morning routine (subtrating the half hour he assumed for commuting, which is not realistic if you live on LI and work in NYC), 1.5-2.5 hours for working out (say, 2 hours), 45 minutes for for dinner, and 15-30 minuts for generic chores. That all adds up to the 4 hours that I calculated above. And, again, this is under the absolute best case scenario: no overtime, a job at One Penn Plaza, and being on time to the 5:22 PM train.

My point is that if I had to commute from Ronkonkoma to NYC, I would, literally, have no free time at all. My life would be nothing but commuting, working, and sleeping.

I do not understand how anyone can consider that to be an acceptable quality of life for themselves or for their family. This is why I do anything I can to hang onto my current job (on Long Island), at all costs, even if the pay and other aspects aren't ideal. It is far better than the alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 06:34 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
i somehow manage to coach basketball and get to the gym 4-5x a week, still not sure how honestly.
Then do you mind telling me how my math was wrong? Thanks.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:44 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Big difference between the commute time to Sea Cliff and eastern Suffolk.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Central suffolk. Eastern suffolk is east of william floyd parkway.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
But not all of us can afford to live in areas like Sea Cliff.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:19 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
I agree with those who are stating that geography is an enemy to attracting business, especially when tied to the NIMBYism. Sandy eliminated any doubts about the vulnerability of the area... It's an island slowly losing its battle against mother nature. Beyond that - even if the army corp knew what they were doing and weren't incompetent, any island has specific constraints with moving goods on and off.

So where is the incentive to put your business on LI? Manufacturing is a no go - costs for moving the raw materials or finished product are prohibitive... Something like a centralized IT services, call center, or datacenter is a no go - I don't see how anyone could argue that makes sense when you could lose it during a storm for days... There's only so far the labor pool argument can go - yes, you'll likely find good candidates to staff some service type business, but what people centric function makes sense to house on LI - where costs in general are prohibitive?

At the end of the day, it's a bedroom community for NYC. That's the draw. The higher paying jobs will be in the city itself. The revenue stream to sustain LI into the future will be property taxes.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
At the end of the day, it's a bedroom community for NYC. That's the draw. The higher paying jobs will be in the city itself. The revenue stream to sustain LI into the future will be property taxes.
As I have said, that is not a reasonable quality of life.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Central suffolk. Eastern suffolk is east of william floyd parkway.
Only if you live in Smithtown

Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
But not all of us can afford to live in areas like Sea Cliff.
I was responding to the fact that you asked him how he does it. Do you have a map handy? Take a look at Sea Cliff in relation to NYC and then take a look at Ronkonkoma and east in relation to NYC. There's your answer "how does he do it".

Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I was responding to the fact that you asked him how he does it. Do you have a map handy? Take a look at Sea Cliff in relation to NYC and then take a look at Ronkonkoma and east in relation to NYC. There's your answer "how does he do it".
I am well aware of that. It seemed that he was suggesting I move to Sea Cliff. My point is that not all of us can afford to live in places like Sea Cliff. I do not see commuting from Ronkonkoma to NYC as an acceptable quality of life, and it is something that I will do whatever it takes to avoid, unless I have absolutely no choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island