Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:27 PM

59 posts, read 169,732 times

Advertisements

My oil to gas conversion project is going to complete. The final inspection is scheduled in coming week. The contractor told me that the code requires that ventilation installed in the boiler room. So he removed the glass previoulsly installed on the boiler room. I'm wonderring if it is the right practice. if we leave the window open all the time, it would lose a lot of heat from the house. And the dirt outside was blowed in. Can anyone tell me what is the code exactly required, and how the ventilation could prevent the above two issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 06:23 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
You don't say what town you live in but in the TNH they will not give you a certificate of completion until it is vented properly. My friend is going through this now and he had a very, very reputable company install his new gas boiler. The town inspector flunked him and he now has to put in new vent pipes to the outside. If you have not paid him in full don't and have him there when the inspector comes so he can tell him what he needs to correct. Don't tell him the inspector will be there if you don't have to.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:32 AM

186 posts, read 526,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerron View Post
My oil to gas conversion project is going to complete. The final inspection is scheduled in coming week. The contractor told me that the code requires that ventilation installed in the boiler room. So he removed the glass previoulsly installed on the boiler room. I'm wonderring if it is the right practice. if we leave the window open all the time, it would lose a lot of heat from the house. And the dirt outside was blowed in. Can anyone tell me what is the code exactly required, and how the ventilation could prevent the above two issues?

are you kidding? the guys just gonna leave your window out all year long? don't pay him until he installs a proper vent "to Code" sounds like he's a shady contractor

Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,404,637 times
Code is an opening at floor level and ceiling height. There is a size determined by the boiler size. A window will NOT pass an inspection unless he is "greasing" him. I can't believe a licensed plumber is using a window. That's ridiculous.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:32 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
Agree with the above posters, Tell you contractor to ventilate properly.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:33 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,537,813 times
Suzook is 100% correct^^^^^The vent size must be properly sized depending on the size of the boiler.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,200 times
OP you must have the correct ventilation in order form him to put the boiler in. Your post said you're doing a conversion so if he did not line the chimney then he has to put a vent pipe extended to the outside of your home. (ugly but cheaper than a new chimney liner) If no work was done on your chimney or to vent through a stack then you will not pass, however if you're putting in a new boiler some of them have advance computer boards in them and require additional air so the boiler room does not over heat. I had a CS2 installed about 2 years ago and I keep the window in the room cracked in the winter and fully open in the summer so the circuit board does not over heat.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:24 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,537,813 times
Either way, if you have a masonry chimney, you need to install a stainless steel vent liner when installing your new boiler. This is regardless of venting the boiler room. The vent is not for circuit boards( although that might be a benefit) but for proper combustion (make-up) air.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Either way, if you have a masonry chimney, you need to install a stainless steel vent liner when installing your new boiler. This is regardless of venting the boiler room. The vent is not for circuit boards( although that might be a benefit) but for proper combustion (make-up) air.

I dont have a S/S chimney liner. My house was oil to gas in 1978, it vents right into the masonry chimney. No good?

Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I dont have a S/S chimney liner. My house was oil to gas in 1978, it vents right into the masonry chimney. No good?
No good at all. When was the last time you had your chimney inspected (please use a reputable company. Chimney companies are major rip offs because most people don't know who to question about what's gong on)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island