Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 02:22 PM

7 posts, read 9,746 times

Advertisements

HEY THERE,

I am from Istanbul and came to LI for a year and I have no idea about plans and sim cards and carriers, I just bought a used AT&T unlocked iphone 4 and i want to be able to use unlimited talk and data with a pre-paid sim card. I asked if i can buy a prepaid sim card to the one of the ladies who work at AT&T, she said i cannot use the data without Wi-fi, i was like what the hell !?

All in all, what i wanna ask, what should i do with this At&t unlocked iphone 4? I need a sim card to be able to use it, and i need data without wi-fi and talk..What are your suggestions? T-mobile,simple mobile, straight talk, virgin mobile...?

Thanks a lot

Eda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 02:57 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filofobist View Post
HEY THERE,

I am from Istanbul and came to LI for a year and I have no idea about plans and sim cards and carriers, I just bought a used AT&T unlocked iphone 4 and i want to be able to use unlimited talk and data with a pre-paid sim card. I asked if i can buy a prepaid sim card to the one of the ladies who work at AT&T, she said i cannot use the data without Wi-fi, i was like what the hell !?

All in all, what i wanna ask, what should i do with this At&t unlocked iphone 4? I need a sim card to be able to use it, and i need data without wi-fi and talk..What are your suggestions? T-mobile,simple mobile, straight talk, virgin mobile...?

Thanks a lot

Eda
You should be able to do this, but "Unlimited talk and data" on a prepaid line is a bit of a stretch. The rep probably didn't really know what they were talking about.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:00 PM

I heard that if I buy h2o sim card with 60$ plan (unlimited talk, text, 2gb data), I dont have to unlock iphone as it is an at&t service and it works good with iphones. Do you have any idea about that? and Is there any h2o shop or a place i can buy it around Ronkonkoma or Islandia ? I couldnt find online...

Thanks for your reply kayfouroh.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:37 AM

629 posts, read 1,700,878 times
Go on ebay - search for "straighttalk at&t sim" - and buy the appropriate one for your phone. They are going for a premium now because StraightTalk has stopped selling them - you'll probably pay somewhere between $70 and $90. Once you get the sim - activate it at StraightTalk.com - pop it in your phone - and you'll be on AT&T's network for $45 a month - no contract.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:41 AM

and this 45$ plan including what? If that h2o thing does not work, i ll definitely do that, thanks for great advice.

Sincerely

Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,531 times
Straight Talk would be the cheapest at $45+tax but they switched to only T-Mobile prepaid sims unless you grab one of ebay. Its unlimited but the rumor is they really cap you at 2gigs.

Their sister company Net10 uses At&t and has a plan with international calling if you want to call Istanbul for $60 a month.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,157 times
+1 for Straight Talk, but as others have mentioned, they have "temporarily" stopped selling ATT SIMs and they are now hard to come by. If your iPhone is unlocked then you can also get a T-Mobile SIM from Straight Talk, but your access to high-speed (3G and HSDPA "4G") data will be limited as T-Mobile started supporting the same data frequencies as ATT relatively recently.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM

But people told me Straight talk is causing so many drop calls ?
I think i will go with this h2o sim card...Do you guys have any idea about it ?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:54 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filofobist View Post
But people told me Straight talk is causing so many drop calls ?
This has not been my experience.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 PM

86 posts, read 234,600 times
I have an unlocked IPhone4 that I had when I moved here from Australia. I have an AT&T GoPhone SIM card that I use right now I pay $25 for unlimited text and $250 worth of talk. There are many other plans to purchase for unlimited talk/text for $50 and you can add a data package. I purchased data packages from time to time and it works no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island