Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:37 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,725,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Who else? Nobody else made any posts interested in that particular property. You were the one who was posting with such interest about it many times plus asking our opinions on the murder situation ... and it was the only condo you posted about. Then you suddenly stopped posting altogether about your trials and tribulations of buying except to say you finally bought a condo ... at a really good price.
I'm not sure what's creepier: the story about the condo and the murderer, or your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 01:42 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,725,043 times
Oh, and here's another development that should make the South Shore an attractive buy: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/29/ny....html?src=recg.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:14 PM

56,909 posts, read 25,835,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Oh, and here's another development that should make the South Shore an attractive buy: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/29/ny....html?src=recg.
The rate increases were supposed to be phased in over the next 4 years with no more than 25% increases, I don't understand that type of increase.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:41 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,770,743 times
Quote:
Yup. We got our renewal from FEMA a few days ago. $2,206/year. Last year we paid maybe $800 for flood insurance.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:14 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,722,959 times
Quote:
You obviously know little about taxation out here because you're using spending per pupil, which has little to do with assessments. I lived in a well-regarded district with very high spending per pupil and yet my property taxes for substantial interior square footage, a pool and two acres were lower than many of those South Shore high ranches on a quarter acre or less.

Once again, I will simply caution potential buyers on the South Shore to take a look at this map -- http://54.243.149.253/home/webmap/vi...b8e92e3239837e -- before they invest in a home there. I hope some of the houses listed above come with a lifeboat.
Now you're mocking the south shore..what happened to the feigned concern you had from previous posts ?
I believe ILLIB (and another member DM'ed me that you moved to Glen Cove). You really think buying in a poor school district with pockets of ghettos in town (a condo nonetheless) is going to be a better investment than a home on the south shore? Highly doubtful even without considering the murder on your block.
Anyway, I'm sure most LI'ers, especially those interested in buying on the water, are familiar with the flood maps. What point were you trying to make with that?

Quote:
From my research on this, I have learned that 4 out of 5 homeowners in the flood program are not going to be significantly impacted by rate increases. The other 1 in 5 are in the high risk areas like the barrier islands and perhaps some who are close to 0-5 feet elevation will likely see premiums double or triple closer to the $9k range. This 20% figure also includes areas like New Orleans which are mostly below sea level. Remember also this will impact waterfront on the north shore as well. You seem to conveniently tune that out along with other issues the north shore faces.
4 feet below BFE is a huge risk, but not as common as you think on the South Shore (aside from the barrier islands and really low-lying areas like Island Park). You will find a few on the bay and off the Canals, but in my estimation I believe it is the exception, not the norm. However if a house was in that zone it's likely destroyed and a good chance it's being rebuilt to the new FEMA code.

Last edited by Pequaman; 08-02-2013 at 03:24 PM..

Old 08-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Status: " You’re not getting another penny out of me" (set 1 day ago)

19,659 posts, read 20,463,980 times
Interesting ...

Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 PM

56,909 posts, read 25,835,547 times
on a more humorous note I found Maragos' response to the investigation of Looks Great Tree Service felling trees in nature preserve. I understand that some trees that were damaged near the road may have been dangerous but some appeared to be away from roads.

Giving a tree company a contract to cut trees in a preserve that they deem dangerous just may not be the most prudent contract, but leave it to Maragos to defend the indefensible especially since many roads took weeks to get cleared. I can't help but picture Looks Great in Yellowstone Park with the same contract.

Quote:

Welwyn neighbors and advocates complained of a "chainsaw massacre" when crews
for Looks Great, a Huntington tree service, entered the preserve in late
November and felled trees for five days. They contended crews were taking down
trees arbitrarily to increase reimbursement from the Federal Emergency
Management Agency. County public works officials said the trees were damaged and
dangerous.

Deputy Public Works Commissioner Rich Millet told lawmakers that a crew paid
per tree was mistakenly sent into Welwyn, but he replaced them with a crew paid
for their time and materials. However, Newsday found the county paid Looks Great
for each tree cut or felled in Welwyn.
Nassau audit: Looks Great's tree cutting OK

Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,413,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
Anyone else get a letter from their flood insurance provider regarding their extension of their preferred risk insurance policy ("PRIP") despite the occurrence of Super Storm Sandy and the Biggert-Waters Act?

PRP was extended pre-sandy in Nassau county for homes mapped into a flood zone after October 2008.

PRP is not part of BW. However, areas mapped into flood zones 10-1-2013 do not get PRP

I got max NYS FEMA pay out and have PRP.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I, and likely many other people, feel that FEMA money should NOT be going towards rebuilding homes with a history of this sort of damage. It is throwing good money after bad money.

You want to live on the beach? You pay everything out of pocket if there is damage.

FEMA money is once in a lifetime and it is by house. You never get a second payment.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandnewbie5 View Post
Hi Everybody!

I've been reading through these forums for a long time now and I've read some really insightful posts and discussions on neighborhoods/towns in Long Island for new home buyers. I thought I might ask a question myself:

What do you think about buying a house in Sandy damaged areas? E.g., Oceanside, Long Beach, etc. It seems to me that if you're handy, or willing to spend some money to renovate, there are a lot of decently priced homes in the area that up until now where out of my price range. To give you an example, we found an Oceanside house that's about a block from a canal that seems to only have had basement flooding. We like the house, but I'm a little reluctant to put an offer on something like that. My first thought is regardless of flooding/hurricanes, houses in nice areas will go up in value. My second thought is: you're crazy. What do you think?
Did you ever buy a Sandy Damaged home?. The homes in Oceanside, Long Beach, Point Lookout and Atlantic Beach are now selling briskly and prices are back. Seems stigma is fading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island