Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,660,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I dont think any legislature ever passed a law saying that it is illegal to swap monthly tickets. Its a violation of the LIRR ticket tarrif rules. They cant do much to you other than what other posters said.

In any case, the Choo Choo Charlies and Charliettes are far from observant. Use the ticket.

Simply put, its fare evasion, thats a crime in itself. Like hopping a subway turnstyle its a misdemeanor. Thats all I can give you without looking up specifics.

As for the overflowing toilets, I wish they'd just get rid of them altogether, but as AGW said, the feds require them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM

159 posts, read 405,968 times
Use the ticket as others have said. If questioned, have your story ready (uh i grabbed my dad's by mistake or something).

All the others crying about fare evasion - please get over yourselves.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:48 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,660,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelmo View Post
Use the ticket as others have said. If questioned, have your story ready (uh i grabbed my dad's by mistake or something).

All the others crying about fare evasion - please get over yourselves.
No one is about fare evasion, just answering a question about how ticket sharing is illegal, which was mentioned somewheer in this thread. Back to the original question, she's not supposed to, but probably can. Even if they confiscate the ticket, its March 26, the month is over so no loss.

check!

Old 03-26-2013, 01:43 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,805,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
but it doesnt make it necesarily fair to the rest of us paying and using our ticket that you want to loaf 2 free rides off of everyone else. Maybe the fare wouldn't be as high if everyone would pay and not try to get one over on the RR.
I'm not saying she should go ahead and do it, but the ticket is already paid for the entire month, but not being used. She's not technically free-loading the system. I don't see how you would think it's unfair to the rest of us or "getting rides off of everyone else".

Also the last sentence there is quite comical. As if that's even a partial reason why the fare is high.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:43 PM

97 posts, read 274,269 times
Quote:
M/F has been there for a long time.
In 2008 I was buying a monthly LIRR ticket from the vending machines and it never asked me if I was a male or female. But I suppose that was a long time ago

Old 03-26-2013, 01:52 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,042,477 times
The conductor punches the M or the F on the first of the month.

The first of the month is Charlies big work day. He has to look at you to determine if you are male or female, then punch your monthly, and then move to the next passenger. They must be exhausted by 11am. I think the union should campaign for more pay on that day.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:04 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,651,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I'm not saying she should go ahead and do it, but the ticket is already paid for the entire month, but not being used. She's not technically free-loading the system. I don't see how you would think it's unfair to the rest of us or "getting rides off of everyone else".

Also the last sentence there is quite comical. As if that's even a partial reason why the fare is high.
She is freeloading the system because that ticket is not hers, it belongs to someone else for their exclusive use.

Every little bit helps. If everyone paid their fare when they are supposed to, all those little dollars add up.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:40 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,805,554 times
Quote:
She is freeloading the system because that ticket is not hers, it belongs to someone else for their exclusive use.

Every little bit helps. If everyone paid their fare when they are supposed to, all those little dollars add up.
You're talking about obeying LIRR's own bylaws. Freeloading off the rest of us is different. Say she finds a single ticket on the floor and uses it. Is she taking advantage of the rest of us like you said? It's paid for and will never be used otherwise. How does that negatively affect me?

If everyone paid their fare, the LIRR will reduce its fares? Given that they publicly reported they knowingly operate at a loss, I don't think so. They wouldn't be using these fare hikes as a way to pad their salaries / pension then. Unions = "because we can".

Last edited by ovi8; 03-26-2013 at 02:51 PM..

Old 03-26-2013, 02:41 PM

8,618 posts, read 10,995,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
No one is about fare evasion, just answering a question about how ticket sharing is illegal, which was mentioned somewheer in this thread. Back to the original question, she's not supposed to, but probably can. Even if they confiscate the ticket, its March 26, the month is over so no loss.

check!
technically i don't think its the law or fare evasion. to me, evading is when those people hide in the LIRR bathroom cars or they flat out refuse to pay.

To be accurate, its just improper use of the ticket. I believe 30 day unlimited metrocards are also supposely not to be shared...i could be wrong.

just a fyi, the 10 trips are def can be shared. It actually says it on the mta site and I had many holes punch on the same card for a few people....so its just the rules of how it can be used.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,199,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgund77 View Post
Well the other person doesn't even need it anymore, that's the point xD Month ends on Sunday and he'll be in St. Louis for another month. Seems a shame to waste the ticket, so I might as well give it a shot.

If I'm caught, will the fact that there are no weeks punched in at all make any difference? Since that obviously shows it hasn't been used? Or are they really inconsistent with punching those numbers in general?
Then he should have sent it back to the LIRR for a refund. He could get some money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island