Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:28 PM

3 posts, read 10,436 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I've looked around the forums quite a bit but would like a specific recommendation from you guys. I received a lucrative job offer in Westbury. My wife and I have a 1 year old daughter so schools aren't a huge deal for us right now. We intend to rent initially.

I'd like to stay within a 30 min commute or so. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are currently visiting right now on limited time. I'd like to keep my monthly rent at a max of about $2500.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 04:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulubravo View Post
Hello all.

I've looked around the forums quite a bit but would like a specific recommendation from you guys. I received a lucrative job offer in Westbury. My wife and I have a 1 year old daughter so schools aren't a huge deal for us right now. We intend to rent initially.

I'd like to stay within a 30 min commute or so. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are currently visiting right now on limited time. I'd like to keep my monthly rent at a max of about $2500.

Thanks in advance!
Try Mineola, the Salisbury section of Westbury (I am section specific because some Westbury areas, like New Cassel are BAD, so if you find anything in another section of Westbury ASK first), East Meadow, Albertson, Williston Park, Hicksville, for starters. If you want to take a little longer to get to work, you might like Rockville Centre. Check the classifieds on craigslist and check the rentals section on Find a home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate. Please note that any apartments represented by a realtor on LI means the tenant, not the landlord, pays the fee. The fee (not refundable) on Long Island is usually around 1 month's rent. Security deposit (refundable when you move out) is usually around 1 month's rent.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 PM

58 posts, read 162,531 times
Also try Carle Place. My husband and I rented an updated 3 bedroom 2 bathroom cape there for $2100 a few years ago. It was wonderful and the area is convenient to everything, including Westbury. But it's small so there may not be a lot. Mineola is another good recommendation, although I would suggest staying away from many of the management owned complexes, I have heard (though not experienced) that they are a headache to deal with. May even want to see what (if anything) $2500 will get you in Garden City. If you want to be within 30 minutes, you can look at Syosset, Plainview and that area, although you can probably find what you need in the closer areas.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have as best I can!

Old 03-28-2013, 05:35 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,297 times
I don't know where you're coming from and we don't need to know your salary, but "lucrative" is relative on Long Island. It's an expensive place to live. I've been looking at rentals as a short-term alternative to buying and there is a lot of crap out there, especially at the $2,500 level. Plus, a lot of the rentals are still occupied by Hurricane Sandy survivors waiting for their insurance payments.

I'll defer to the real estate agents' advice on this, since they're in touch with the market. All I know is that my search for rentals did not turn up a whole lot that was encouraging. As for prices, we have a friend who had to leave her apartment after Sandy and ended up renting a studio in a newer Glen Cove complex for $2,100.

Good luck with your search.

P.S. After I posted this, I decided to go to the Multiple Listing site and search for Carle Place, Westbury and Garden City rentals at $2,500. The pickings are verrrrrrrry slim, my friend. I think you're going to have to spend more and, even then, it may not be easy.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 PM

8 posts, read 11,019 times
Are there any places that would be a little cheaper to go to? I am in the same boat and it seems to be hard to find anything for under 2000 that is decent at all unless you want to go way down the Island to the East. Did that one in Glen Cove at least include utilities?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,718 times
I would also recommend looking at Old Bethpage and Plainview. Not really much in terms of apartment living, but I rented the bottom floor of a house in Old Bethpage and loved it there. I grew up in the Salisbury area, so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 PM

Are these bottom floor/basement type of housing rentals decent? I am from the midwest, so I have never lived in that type of situation. Was it pretty reasonable? Does the family you are renting it from live upstairs or something like that?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 PM

37 posts, read 54,797 times
You could easily own a home for what you are looking to rent for. The interest rates are very low and the market will bounce back in time.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 PM

Even with the property tax rates? Which areas are decent to buy a home in that wouldn't be too bad of a commute?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 PM

37 posts, read 54,797 times
Definitely... the taxes are high on LI but a good financial adviser and an honest mortgage professional will tell you what you can afford based of actual numbers. Your definition of a decent area and mine could differ drastically. Some towns get labeled "bad" yet there are actually very nice areas within the towns. Where are you commuting from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island