U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM

79 posts, read 81,565 times
Keep attacking me personally while your beloved town becomes the next Rosedale.

Merrick has better property value, better schools and less minorities. That's the Long Island trifecta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 11:37 AM

114 posts, read 102,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post

Merrick has better property value, better schools and less minorities. That's the Long Island trifecta.
Yikes. I'm not White. I didn't know I'd be detrimental to a town when I move into the neighborhood...

Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 AM

15,516 posts, read 15,214,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLookingToMove View Post
Still don't see anyone posting specifically WHAT has changed for the worse in Valley Stream. Really makes me wonder why so many say the town is no good when they can't really say exactly what isn't good about it!
In a nutshell, VS is 17.4% black. LI towns that are code for "good" generally have less than 2% blacks in them. Nowhere else in the country has such a high standard for judging neighborhoods by their whiteness and demonizing places that are more than 2% minority, including places in the south.

This is due to history, which follows:

Many native white LI'ers were raised on the knee of parents and grandparents who used to live in the cheap parts of NYC until minorities moved in. They were fed bad stories about minorities from their infancy, and even if their conscious mind "rationally" tells them all minorities are not bad, their subconscious directs them otherwise. When those cheap parts started having low-class minorities move in who caused social problems, these white NYC'ers scraped up enough money to move out and many chose LI, particularly what they call on the NYC forum "white ethnics" (jews, italians, irish). Due to the bad experiences with low-class minorities, these people decide ALL were bad and to be avoided.

In the late 60s, early 70s, even into the 80s, another development was unscrupulous real estate brokers and salespeople decided to financially capitalize on the racial fears of white Long Islanders and created practices known as steering and blockbusting. They picked certain areas (in Nassau, two examples would be Uniondale and Roosevelt) to "steer" their minority house hunters to, to the exclusion of showing them houses in other areas and to "blockbust" their white homeowners into fear of the incoming minorities ("you better sell now, the blacks are coming"). So the real estate people made a fortune that way until legislation intervened. Since so many of the homes were in flux, the quality of the minority people began to deteriorate and that was exacerbated by landlords instead of resident homeowners dominating control of the properties and renting out houses to whoever they could find with no regard whatsoever to character (an example in Suffolk would be North Bellport). Middle class blacks would move and places like Uniondale are now becoming dominated will illegal aliens and gangs like MS-13.

What this comes down to for Valley Stream is due to these experiences, "ethnic whites" on LI can be very averse to diversity and certain minorities, as deep down they feel it is "bad" to live with or near any of them. So a place like VS, which actually has not deteriorated in the quality of schools or quality of living, just gets a "bad name" automatically from some people because it has 17.4% black homeowners. They don't realize the other places that have "turned minority" where things went bad the integration was not natural, but was fueled by real estate brokers' greed and fear, and the mistake is assuming ALL instances where there are minorities are bad. These rumors are not based on rational thought; they are based on subconscious conditioning learned at the knee of parent and grandparent N haters.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post

Thank you for proving my point above!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:48 AM

3,293 posts, read 3,185,471 times
/\

Very well explained... !!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 AM

114 posts, read 102,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Thank you for proving my point above!
Good thing people like that aren't choosing to live in Valley Stream then. Don't want my kids growing up with bigots.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:53 AM

126 posts, read 99,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLookingToMove View Post
Yikes. I'm not White. I didn't know I'd be detrimental to a town when I move into the neighborhood...
If that's the case than you might like Baldwin better. It is racially diverse and contrary to what other poster say about it, it is not that bad. Baldwin, near the Southern State pkwy is very sketchy so I would avoid that area. Baldwin diversified much sooner ( I think the other poster said Baldwin has been in the crapper for 30 years or so now?) so more accepting and everyone gets along.

VS has always been that way. When I was a kid, there was a cross burning on someone's lawn, they were the pioneer african american family (don't know if they stayed after that I was just a kid), on the Gibson side. Even though it is diverse now (it never was before, primarily Italian and Irish and other euro ethnicities).

What I don't like about VS now is how Queens-like it has become. Rockaway Avenue was never really a jewel but it was much better than it is now (they put all doctor's office, and a nail salon on every corner) but that coudl just be my nostalgia.

And before the other poster rips me about Baldwin, NO. We do not have a walk-able downtown area at all. Rockville Centre the best and 3 minutes away.

Check out both places and decide on your own what you like. You probably won't get a good idea from this board. Baldwin commute to City better than VS as it is on Babylon Branch, lots of express trains, always get a seat.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmosandmind View Post
If that's the case than you might like Baldwin better. It is racially diverse and contrary to what other poster say about it, it is not that bad. Baldwin, near the Southern State pkwy is very sketchy so I would avoid that area. Baldwin diversified much sooner ( I think the other poster said Baldwin has been in the crapper for 30 years or so now?) so more accepting and everyone gets along.

VS has always been that way. When I was a kid, their was a cross burning on someone's lawn, they were the pioneer african american family (don't know if they stayed after that I was just a kid), on the Gibson side. Even though it is diverse now (it never was before, primarily Italian and Irish and other euro ethnicities).

What I don't like about VS now is how Queens-like it has become. Rockaway Avenue was never really a jewel but it was much better than it is now (they put all doctor's office, and a nail salon on every corner) but that coudl just be my nostalgia.

And before the other poster rips me about Baldwin, NO. We do not have a walk-able downtown area at all. Rockville Centre the best and 3 minutes away.

Check out both places and decide on your own what you like. You probably won't get a good idea from this board. Baldwin commute to City better than VS as it is on Babylon Branch, lots of express trains, always get a seat.
For someone who just admitted in this thread that he is seeking to sell and move out of Baldwin as soon as possible, this is a shameless and false sales pitch. LOL! Are you going to get like another Baldwin poster who shall remain nameless and send a DM to this lady seeking to sell your house in Baldwin? She lives in one of the TOP 20 school districts on LI. In what fantasy universe do you see her rushing to sell in Valley Stream and move to academically challenged Baldwin SD where the last homecoming game had gunshots fired and a stabbing? LOL! You even admitted that is a mistake YOU made. She lives in Valley Stream and is happy!

You are completely insane in your character assasination of VS on a whole. Maybe that's what you and your family are like, but the rest of us aren't. Okay I'll agree with the cryptic "it's changed," as it has changed, but in a positive way with nasty cross burners moving away.

Our shopping districts are fantastic compared to the mess that is Baldwin. Please! Queens-like! Oh boo hoo! Do you really need 7 Jamaican restaurants, 12 barbershop joints, check cashing, 2 dollar stores, and a strip mall that is 75% unoccupied over there on the main drag?

Baldwin commute is NOT better. First of all, it's longer and it requires a more expensive monthly ticket. We have three LIRR stations serving Valley Stream and two lines (Long Beach and Far Rockaway). Baldwin? One station, one line. Period.

I especially love how you deem the area in Baldwin by the Southern State as "sketchy." That's the majority black area. LOL! Yeah, you sound "very accepting." In reality, it's no "sketchier" than its direct neighbor, South Hempstead. Actually the houses in N. Baldwin are better than some of the little shacks in S. Hempstead. But you won't diss SoHemp. Why? It is a bastion of white irish italian NYC cops and firefighters. So N. Baldwin has better houses and yards, but it's an automatic lose to SoHemp. Okay!

My next-door neighbor for 10+ years is black. I am white. No cross burning. No rush for selling the homes ... he is still the only black on the block. OMG! NO white flight! What is this world coming to? He and his kids and wife are fine people and in fact improved the landscaping of the house compared to the white couple who left.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:20 PM

126 posts, read 99,779 times
You win. You are right about everything. Nice talking with you..

Take care!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:29 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,348,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmosandmind View Post
You win. You are right about everything. Nice talking with you..

Take care!
Yup. Now you see where everyone else is coming from. After a while, you just give up trying to express an opinion here because it doesn't agree with her perspective. I.Love L.I.But, you really do need to take a chill pill. There will be people who love/like VS and Baldwin just like there are people who hate it with a passion. You can't convince the haters to change their minds and I'm not going to take up or continue that fight because its just not worth my time. This thread being 10 pages is enough as it is - OP has yet to even weigh in on anything! My DH and I are content living in BH and until that changes, I really don't care what anyone here thinks or says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island