U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 05:14 PM

85 posts, read 107,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
See post #3. The schools available to VS are good and the selection includes one of the top 20 ranked schools on LI.
This is very accurate but as Western Nassau becomes Eastern Queens you can surely expect the quality of the "element" (and I'm not necessarily talking racial here so let's not go there people) to deteriorate over the next 5 - 10 years, just as it has been for the past several. To say there is not at least some truth to this is to be in denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 05:22 PM

295 posts, read 279,063 times
I concur. You need to be forward thinking. Purchasing a home in any of the border areas is taking a risk with the exception of great neck. Vs, elmont, floral park, nhp etc....are not the greatest

Old 04-02-2013, 05:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 29,398,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Guy Guy View Post
This is very accurate but as Western Nassau becomes Eastern Queens you can surely expect the quality of the "element" (and I'm not necessarily talking racial here so let's not go there people) to deteriorate over the next 5 - 10 years, just as it has been for the past several. To say there is not at least some truth to this is to be in denial.
You need to come here. We are not eastern Queens. The SDs and quality of life has not diminished. The existing community amenities have improved and there are brand new ones too. In the past, the socioeconomic demographics of Elmont and Valley Stream were similar. No more. (Although I do believe Elmont is improving due to more successful stores there and new construction homes on the border of VS.) I believe the difference has a lot to do with the Village of VS enforcing QOL issues and extremely aggressive residents who will not put up with ANYTHING negative affecting QOL. NIMBY isn't even the word for it. Elmont has no Village and I suppose the residents are disorganized and unobservant compared to those in VS.

Maybe the "inner" residents of LI should be a little thankful to us and give us a little more credit instead of having a crappy attitude based on the fact that we have 17.4% blacks and then let their imaginations run wild concerning the perceived QOL problems instead of realizing blacks can have middle class lives too. We are right on the borderline with Queens in theater/fighting the suburban war. Children are trained to fight hard and shoot their rifles straight to combat the invaders, such as the fearsome mongol hordes emerging from NYC in an attempt to take over LI. Panhandlers and can collectors spotted on our main roads get free car service courtesy of Nassau's finest to over the border into Queens. They stop coming. We have no graffiti. Illegal alien day laborers will come no closer than their loiter spots in Franklin Square on Hempstead Turnpike. We are patrolled 24-7-365 by professionals (NCPD, Village Public Safety, Village Code Enforcement) and volunteers (VS Civilian Patrol and VS Auxiliary Police). People who assume VS has gone to pot based on it being on the border of Queens or it having a more diverse population that the rest of LI do not know what they are talking about.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:48 PM

85 posts, read 107,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You need to come here. We are not eastern Queens. The SDs and quality of life has not diminished. The existing community amenities have improved and there are brand new ones too. In the past, the socioeconomic demographics of Elmont and Valley Stream were similar. No more. (Although I do believe Elmont is improving due to more successful stores there and new construction homes on the border of VS.) I believe the difference has a lot to do with the Village of VS enforcing QOL issues and extremely aggressive residents who will not put up with ANYTHING negative affecting QOL. NIMBY isn't even the word for it. Elmont has no Village and I suppose the residents are disorganized and unobservant compared to those in VS.

Maybe the "inner" residents of LI should be a little thankful to us and give us a little more credit instead of having a crappy attitude based on the fact that we have 17.4% blacks and then let their imaginations run wild concerning the perceived QOL problems instead of realizing blacks can have middle class lives too. We are right on the borderline with Queens in theater/fighting the suburban war. Children are trained to fight hard and shoot their rifles straight to combat the invaders, such as the fearsome mongol hordes emerging from NYC in an attempt to take over LI. Panhandlers and can collectors spotted on our main roads get free car service courtesy of Nassau's finest to over the border into Queens. They stop coming. We have no graffiti. Illegal alien day laborers will come no closer than their loiter spots in Franklin Square on Hempstead Turnpike. We are patrolled 24-7-365 by professionals (NCPD, Village Public Safety, Village Code Enforcement) and volunteers (VS Civilian Patrol and VS Auxiliary Police). People who assume VS has gone to pot based on it being on the border of Queens or it having a more diverse population that the rest of LI do not know what they are talking about.
This is a terrific post and this in no way should discredit what you wrote, but it shows your pride in where you live and that's to be taken as a compliment. I think it paints a perfect picture of why ignorant folks shouldn't avoid certain areas based solely on demographic statistics.

I still stand by what I said, in part because most people looking to move to LI (sadly) look at demographics as a main component. On a personal level, I am leery of anything too close to Queens because I came here to get away from it.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 PM

295 posts, read 279,063 times
Exactly. If you are born raised inhereted a home and never left the island, you don't know about the "L" shape we are talking about. Cross island Pkwy from north to south, sunrise hey from vs and lynbrook you skip over.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:29 AM

106 posts, read 153,006 times
While Baldwin has been in the crapper for 20+ years, VS has only turned bad in the past decade or so. At this point it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM

1,757 posts, read 3,233,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NassauGuy12 View Post
Exactly. If you are born raised inhereted a home and never left the island, you don't know about the "L" shape we are talking about. Cross island Pkwy from north to south, sunrise hey from vs and lynbrook you skip over.
I feel really sorry for you and for your family if you force everyone around you to look at LI neighborhoods the way you do. I was born and raised in Queens, and spent considerable time on LI growing up hanging out with my BFFs who moved out to Levittown, and spent time out of the area for college and study abroad (Europe) and I've never even heard of this "L shape" dichotomy you mention- nor do I consider Wantagh a "lesser" regarded town than Seaford. To me, the "rich" towns are mostly on the north shore and in areas like Great Neck Estates, Sands Point, Muttontown, Brookville, Locust Valley, Lake Success, Old Westbury - and upper middle class areas like Roslyn, Port Wash, Williston Park, Garden City, Searingtown, etc. Anything beyond that - Franklin Square, Malverne, Elmont, Baldwin, Valley Stream, Freeport, Bellmore, Merrick, Levittown, East Meadow, Wantagh, Seaford, Westbury, etc are pretty much all the same to me.

I don't see any difference between Wantagh and Seaford. One of my former bosses, a successful litigator/attorney pulling in $200K, lives in Wantagh. Gorgeous house on a great street. You're entitled to your opinion, but golly gee - I don't think many of us think the same way as you.

Last edited by LegalDiva; 04-03-2013 at 09:04 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 AM

4,218 posts, read 7,200,923 times
Quote:
You are correct, on the pecking order rvc and Merrick are number 1 and 2 respectively. When potential buyers of a certain standard look for a quality area and can't afford rvc or Merrick, then you go to bellmore seaford. Skipping Wantah and not looking back.
but what about the "sketchy" areas of RVC?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:02 AM

4,218 posts, read 7,200,923 times
Quote:
Bottom line is when you think of success you don't think of Wantagh. Sure there are outliers. The successful persons in my circle and line of work who live on the island stay clear of these areas. On the south shore, for a permanent residence you look to rvc, Merrick, bellmore, seaford, then nothing till you hit the hamptons and montauk.
Most people would choose the better parts of Massapequa, Massapequa Park, Babylon, West Islip over anything in Seaford every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I think you've confused Seaford with somewhere else.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:55 PM

16,408 posts, read 29,398,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
While Baldwin has been in the crapper for 20+ years, VS has only turned bad in the past decade or so. At this point it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
VS has not "turned bad." I am sick of the ignorance. If you think it's "turned bad," then please be careful in Merrick too, as it has attracted some substandard residents such as:

29 year old Long Island woman gets 21 years for strangling husband to death
Victimized Over The AOC: 29 year old Long Island woman gets 21 years for strangling husband to death

Quote:
She also told them that Michael, who had a 25-year-long rap sheet that included convictions for rape and attempted murder, had been violent with her twice during their 2-month marriage.
Wonderful! Merrick attracts rapists and attempted murderers! Who would have thought HE would have ended up the victim?

This one has pics of your fine Merrick neighbors:

Quote:
The welterweight bride somehow managed to strangle her heavyweight husband with an electrical cord in the Merrick home, police said.

Read more: Long Island wife Kelly Forbes charged with strangling husband - NY Daily News
Since Kelly was doing the traditional handcuffed perp walk in the above story's pics and had her head down, here you can see a full facial pic of this charmer:

Kelly Forbes | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

Here's a nice pic of the unhappy couple in this story:

They even did Merrick proud by having it put on a national crime television show, "Snapped":

TV: Snapped - May/December Romance Gone Wrong - e-HUG mag

Quote:
In 2005, Kelly Forbes,28, immigrated from her native Trinidad to Brooklyn to live with her brother shortly after breaking up with the father of her child. She quickly made Brooklyn home and became a medical assistant at a doctor’s office. There, she met a patient, Michael Forbes and took very good care of him.
They are certainly not of the famed Forbes financial empire. They are the Forbes formerly of Brooklyn (and not the "good part" of Brooklyn by any means). What's probably really hilarious is that the Forbes were living in one of the better neighborhoods in Merrick and you are situated much more cheaply further north of that. Yet, if those two aren't "riff-raff," I don't know what is. And they lived in MERRICK where the murder was committed.

Valley Stream has an excellent quality of life and good schools. Mind your own backyard instead of ignorantly blasting Valley Stream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island