Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you could have what you have in NC (or elsewhere), here, would you have stayed on Long Island?
Definitely 25 55.56%
No friggin' Way 13 28.89%
I just miss the Pizza 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:34 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexasmommy330 View Post
My house is SC right out of CLT...we paid 239k...i called the builder bc they are in NY as well..i was curious bc LI is where im from. They said my home would start at 630k!!! Its nuts what homes go for over in NY!!!!
CLT? Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 03:09 PM

652 posts, read 2,264,918 times
I wish I were six inches taller.
Wish I could sell my house for the asking price.
Wish I had six more wishes and one would come true..
Hey....I have my health so .......

Old 10-31-2007, 03:48 PM

672 posts, read 905,330 times
My children, the 4 seasons, the "attitude", absolutely. Didn't want to go to Florida. Lived here before and knew exactly what it was like.

There is no place like HOME.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:12 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,168,572 times
Default I was one who checked "I just miss the pizza..."

There are a few things I miss from NY -- Charlotte is NOT NYC by any stretch, but we do manage to visit NY once a year or so and I find I enjoy it a lot more when I don't have to deal with the day to day...

I miss being close to the beach (so we do one beach trip a year). I miss the bagels (so when people visit us, they know they need to bring a dozen bagels before they walk in the door), I miss diners (we found one that is close to a NY diner, but not quite there yet). We finally got a good pizza place about a year ago

I don't miss the traffic, the taxes, the snow, and just the general stress level. Of course, the stress may have been largely self imposed, but I find myself much more relaxed now. I am able to spend more time with my family, which I know would not have been the case in NY.

NC is not for everyone -- but we really do love it here. We've been here since 1998 and I can't ever imagine going back.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,486 times
I have to be totally honest and say yes...without a doubt...NC is beautiful, I love it here, but there is no place like home, where your roots are, friends, family, etc...

Old 03-24-2008, 11:23 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,993 times
If LI had what NC offers us we would have stayed on LI. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case and we now love NC and it totally feels like home to us. Would not move back to LI without a fight, thats for sure. Life on LI is no longer appealing to me in any way.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:42 PM

62 posts, read 240,033 times
How much lower is car insurance? I live on Long Island, and I think it's pretty good ($1480/yr for a new Infiniti M35, and practically nothing -- maybe $700 or so -- for a 13-year-old van, with liability only on that one). I was shocked by how much less it was when I moved from Brooklyn to LI.

As far as IT jobs, I don't know what you can make in NC or even on Long Island, but the great thing about LI is proximity to the city, and while the sky's not the limit, well into the six figures isn't unheard of (I can personally attest to that). Of course, it all depends on how skilled you are.

I live on the western north shore, and my house is worth about $1 million. Certainly, I could get a house for less in NC, but I would also be making less -- so I don't see the benefit. Anyway, if NC luxury homes are anything like the ones I've seen in Florida, I'm not impressed. I would have to remodel it to meet my taste, which I've already done here.

I love Long Island.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Ever View Post
How much lower is car insurance? I live on Long Island, and I think it's pretty good ($1480/yr for a new Infiniti M35, and practically nothing -- maybe $700 or so -- for a 13-year-old van, with liability only on that one). I was shocked by how much less it was when I moved from Brooklyn to LI.

As far as IT jobs, I don't know what you can make in NC or even on Long Island, but the great thing about LI is proximity to the city, and while the sky's not the limit, well into the six figures isn't unheard of (I can personally attest to that). Of course, it all depends on how skilled you are.

I live on the western north shore, and my house is worth about $1 million. Certainly, I could get a house for less in NC, but I would also be making less -- so I don't see the benefit. Anyway, if NC luxury homes are anything like the es I've seen in Florida, I'm not impressed. I would have to remodel it to meet my taste, which I've already done here.

I love Long Island.

My car insurance was 2400 on LI for 2 cars , one Lexus SUV and one Nissan Sedan (both new). In NC I pay 1100 a year for the same policy.

My hubby actually makes more in NC than he made in LI.

The homes look NOTHING like Florida homes.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:37 PM

62 posts, read 240,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
My car insurance was 2400 on LI for 2 cars , one Lexus SUV and one Nissan Sedan (both new). In NC I pay 1100 a year for the same policy.

My hubby actually makes more in NC than he made in LI.

The homes look NOTHING like Florida homes.
I don't mean the exterior of the homes look like Florida homes, I mean the interior finishes -- ceiling textures, doors and windows, kitchen cabinets (yes, even new and supposedly higher-end), floors, and bathrooms.

In any case, there's no way I could make more in NC. If I did, I could own an entire street.

I did like Raleigh-Durham, though.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Ever View Post
I don't mean the exterior of the homes look like Florida homes, I mean the interior finishes -- ceiling textures, doors and windows, kitchen cabinets (yes, even new and supposedly higher-end), floors, and bathrooms.

In any case, there's no way I could make more in NC. If I did, I could own an entire street.

I did like Raleigh-Durham, though.
Totally different interiors and exteriors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island