Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 03:55 PM

35 posts, read 170,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Totally agree......even if you go 50 miles NORTH of the city to the Middletown or Newburgh areas the rents are MUCH cheaper than if you were 40-50 miles EAST on LI......why? I do not know......but in certain parts of upstate I just mentioned (Monroe, Middletown, Ossining, Peekskill, Harriman, etc) you can get a brand new 2 bedroom apt for 1100.

What is the diff of being 50 miles north vs 50 miles east of the city? Not much in my opinion.....

I find it fascinating the geographical differences in prices for certain parts of this tri-state area we live in.
Yeah, I just don't get it.

I really like the NYC area, its one of the few places I would choose to live in, considerations for COL notwithstanding. However, I just cannot justify the prices here. It seems that there are no job opportunities here, unless you work in government, services or finance/consulting. I can't find any engineering jobs here, besides the one I already have. Ugh....

Old 04-05-2013, 04:07 PM

85 posts, read 125,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
I find it fascinating the geographical differences in prices for certain parts of this tri-state area we live in.
No one's gonna like this, but the reason is complacency. Long Islanders have been on the Kool Aid for generations. What else could explain the public sector contracts, diminishing infrastructure and skyrocketing taxes with people still saying how great this place is? I've never seen so many people bunched up in one place that accept mediocrity so willingly in anything from services to politics.

There. I said it.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:17 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJT View Post
I'll throw my two cents in.

I'm about to turn 25. I moved here in December of 2012, after months of apartment searching. I'm itching to leave, already. The COL is just way too high. My comparably excellent salary is rather low on the island and, I'll never be able to own anything out here. Just moving to neighbourhoods west of the Hudson would allow me to cut my rent in half. I Why stay?
Sacrilege!

Old 04-05-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Guy Guy View Post
No one's gonna like this, but the reason is complacency. Long Islanders have been on the Kool Aid for generations. What else could explain the public sector contracts, diminishing infrastructure and skyrocketing taxes with people still saying how great this place is? I've never seen so many people bunched up in one place that accept mediocrity so willingly in anything from services to politics.

There. I said it.
Because it's awesome and you get what you pay for! Don't you know anything?!

What no one can ever explain is why aren't we getting more and better services and education for more and more taxes. I paid $4900 in taxes on my house in 1997, the current owners are paying $14K. Call me crazy, but I doubt their kids are getting a better education than kids were getting in 1997 (and earlier)...but this is a question no one ever answers here. They say "it's worth it" but they don't say HOW.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:29 PM

85 posts, read 125,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Because it's awesome and you get what you pay for! Don't you know anything?!

What no one can ever explain is why aren't we getting more and better services and education for more and more taxes. I paid $4900 in taxes on my house in 1997, the current owners are paying $14K. Call me crazy, but I doubt their kids are getting a better education than kids were getting in 1997 (and earlier)...but this is a question no one ever answers here. They say "it's worth it" but they don't say HOW.
Stock market tanks, investments tank, pension costs increase, taxes go up. Corporations everywhere are getting away from defined pensions for just this reason. Corporations have their best interests in mind, to keep their businesses alive for their employees and themselves. Yet politicians, who are supposed to have our best interests in mind, continue to let these public sector unions bleed us dry.

Vote them in, complain, bend over, repeat. Page 1 of the Long Islander manual.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:24 PM

35 posts, read 170,620 times
Quote:
Sacrilege!
Why do you say that?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Why do you say that?
Joking. I guess the NY sarcasm hasn't sunk in yet for you!

Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,393 times
Quote:
Yeah, I just don't get it.

I really like the NYC area, its one of the few places I would choose to live in, considerations for COL notwithstanding. However, I just cannot justify the prices here. It seems that there are no job opportunities here, unless you work in government, services or finance/consulting. I can't find any engineering jobs here, besides the one I already have. Ugh....
Yes, you're exactly correct. Based on what I see, even finance has left the city downsizing workforces very aggressively, which is why the Mayor has, very wisely, started courting start-up technology business. I have never seen such a dead private sector employment environment in Metro NY, ever!

There's no surprise the job market on LI is at best retarded, given most of the private sector has left for the reasons you mention, but the surprise is how slow the NYC job market is.

Compare the tenor of the situation here to Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago and even San Francisco. Each city has a much more vital job scene and growing economies. Even in small markets like Denver, there are more signs of life.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:41 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is Long Island seeing an exodus of its Younger Folk ages 20-40yrs? If so where are they headed besides Manhattan? Is there a fantasy land that all the younger folk left on the Island talk about? Is there even lots of talk about leaving the Island?

Long Island is seeing an exodus, period. Younger, older and in between.

The Fantasy Land is Long Island. They are leaving to go to more realistically priced places.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:43 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Joking. I guess the NY sarcasm hasn't sunk in yet for you!
At least you didn't threaten to publically shun him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island