Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:08 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,583,651 times

Advertisements

I think too many of you folks on LI hear "the south" and think about the suburban areas of Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte and Charleston and are like "oh muy gawd" with images of very polished areas with large new homes and all of the suburban conveniences of LI at a heavily discounted price. "Why would anyone want to give that up to live on Long Island?!"

Just like all of the northeast and all of NY state is not like LI...all of the south is not like those transplant heavy areas that your neighbors/relatives have moved to. Much of the south, especially the deep south, has staggeringly high unemployment, poverty, and schools that you all would probably consider scary. While the OP may certainly be able to own a much larger home in the deep south with the lower salary her husband already has; there is a quality of life factor that some of you may not be able to comprehend. That large new home may be in the only neighborhood like it for miles, with higher crime/poorer areas surrounding it. And it may be assigned to schools which are far from what you would want your children to experience.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case, and the OP may very well live in a nice area with good schools in Arkansas. However, don't discredit the possibility that certain QOL factors could make LI more appealing than areas of the South; especially if there are greater career opportunities for her husband in the NYC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,021,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I'd say 60% to 100% increase in pay. You at least want to feel like the move is a promotion and not just keeping the status quo.
Yah - but $300k salary working in Bethpage? Seems pretty far fetched to me.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,004,843 times
Quote:
I'd say 60% to 100% increase in pay. You at least want to feel like the move is a promotion and not just keeping the status quo.
There are folks struggling to find jobs for $150K in the city, unless this fellow is senior executive level, it's suspect he'd be able to swing that kind of compensation on LI. We only need to look at the thread about what is middle class on LI to see that folks think you need to pull down close to $500K to have an upper middle class lifestyle here. However, if the OP thinks the move here will be temporary and will be used as a stepping stone to an even higher paid position elsewhere, then maybe.....otherwise I'd say be very careful, because the grass is not that green in the NY/NJ area at that $150-200K level. The taxes alone will do a number on you. It'd be better if the OP can run the numbers and figure out the bare minimum "net pay" on a monthly basis that is needed - if you rent I think that number will be close to $6K a month. If you own...???

Old 04-09-2013, 01:00 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
NYC doesn't pay like it used and it's worse when you factor in the COL.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:08 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,004,843 times
Quote:
NYC doesn't pay like it used and it's worse when you factor in the COL.
Exactly, so, if most people on LI commute to the city to work because that's where the money is/was, how does the OP think they will be able to swing a better comp package on the Island? Anything is possible, but those opportunities are getting rarer.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:12 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
The other factor is to maintain the QOL from place A to Long Island is pretty big. A lot of folks making a move are shocked at what they can buy even with a 25% increase in pay. Unless they are coming from an already pricey area of the country.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:36 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I think too many of you folks on LI hear "the south" and think about the suburban areas of Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte and Charleston and are like "oh muy gawd" with images of very polished areas with large new homes and all of the suburban conveniences of LI at a heavily discounted price. "Why would anyone want to give that up to live on Long Island?!"

Just like all of the northeast and all of NY state is not like LI...all of the south is not like those transplant heavy areas that your neighbors/relatives have moved to. Much of the south, especially the deep south, has staggeringly high unemployment, poverty, and schools that you all would probably consider scary. While the OP may certainly be able to own a much larger home in the deep south with the lower salary her husband already has; there is a quality of life factor that some of you may not be able to comprehend. That large new home may be in the only neighborhood like it for miles, with higher crime/poorer areas surrounding it. And it may be assigned to schools which are far from what you would want your children to experience.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case, and the OP may very well live in a nice area with good schools in Arkansas. However, don't discredit the possibility that certain QOL factors could make LI more appealing than areas of the South; especially if there are greater career opportunities for her husband in the NYC area.
You mean good neighborhoods surrounded by higher crime/poorer areas such as Rockville Centre, Garden City, Huntington, Brightwaters, etc., etc.? Yeah, we have no bad neighborhoods to worry about here on Long Island. That's why a number of years ago they found a dead body dumped on Meadow St. in Garden City, a block away from Hempstead.

Other than the food, beaches, public schools and proximity to New York City, please mention one thing on Long Island where the quality of life may be better. Traffic, public transportation, cost of living? C'mon, let's hear them. I mean, our electric utility is so bad that everyone's talking about installing their own generators. And even the attractions aren't that great. For what the OP will pay in higher housing prices and property taxes out here, they could have their kids chauffeur-driven to private school in Arkansas.

Oh, and yes, there may be greater employment opportunities for the OP in New York City. But then, he/she will have to use our reliable, comfortable and inexpensive Long Island Rail Road. Oh, joy!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:58 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,022 times
Just tossing this into the rink, the CNN COL calculator estimates that $170k in Little Rock translates to about $246k in Nassau County.

Again, it's just an estimation, and there's so many variables.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 PM

85 posts, read 125,606 times
To spin the scenario, I know I for one would be out of here in a heartbeat if I knew I could make 150K elsewhere. The fact that I can't is pretty much what keeps me here.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:17 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Guy Guy View Post
To spin the scenario, I know I for one would be out of here in a heartbeat if I knew I could make 150K elsewhere. The fact that I can't is pretty much what keeps me here.
Yup! I know a lot of people in your situation

For the most part it's true, but it depends on your field. In my field, the salaries are the same or higher outside of NY metro. But NYC is pretty much king for most fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island