Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 AM

66 posts, read 98,768 times

Advertisements

In South Hempstead you won't have the benefit of the really cheap electric that RVC has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,165 times
I grew-up in So Hemp and now live in RVC. So Hemp is a great place to live and grow-up. If you buy a house w/in the RVC school district you have most of the benefits of RVC including great sports teams for kids and great schools. However, there are a few things to consider: Rvc has cheaper Water and Electric in the incorp village, which can really add up. my parents electric bill is outragious! Also, if you need to take LIRR, parking at the station is a real issue. You can't park in RVC and parking in Baldwin is far from the station. So Hemp is not part of Hempstead. It's a very tight knit neighborhood, people are very friendly and look out for each other. It is very safe.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,118 times
Can anyone tell me if the area just north of the RVC train station is safe/less desirable. There are a couple of houses around just north of the train station and just south of Lakeview Ave that I am looking at. I know the Old Mill Court Houses are somewhat near to there and am just wondering how safe the area is or if there is anything one should know about - Thanks.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 PM

66 posts, read 98,768 times
There's a very nice elementary school in that area called Covert. And that area is near Molloy College. It's a nice area. You are separated by Hempstead by the Southern State overpass.
Like the previous posters suggest. Ask the realtor what school district your potential home is in. Or you can call the RVC school district. I'm sure they'd tell you.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 AM

75 posts, read 227,714 times
I grew up in Lynbrook, so personally, I can say I prefer it to RVC (South Hempstead area). You can find affordable homes in the South Hemp area, and the proximity to Molloy is good and bad (bad for parking, some kids drive like idiots). I don't think there is a huge variation in the Lynbrook vs. RVC schools, but everyone has their own opinion on this. I think you'd get more for your money in terms of house/plot size in Lynbrook. The South Hempstead area has a lot of bungalows and smallish homes, although as of late I have noticed a lot of people blowing them out and making bigger homes. Good luck to you! I know the area very well, so feel free to message me.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJF123 View Post
Can anyone tell me if the area just north of the RVC train station is safe/less desirable. There are a couple of houses around just north of the train station and just south of Lakeview Ave that I am looking at. I know the Old Mill Court Houses are somewhat near to there and am just wondering how safe the area is or if there is anything one should know about - Thanks.
I do think it's less desirable, and you can see it reflected in the home prices.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:23 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshore99 View Post
I grew up in Lynbrook, so personally, I can say I prefer it to RVC (South Hempstead area). You can find affordable homes in the South Hemp area, and the proximity to Molloy is good and bad (bad for parking, some kids drive like idiots). I don't think there is a huge variation in the Lynbrook vs. RVC schools, but everyone has their own opinion on this. I think you'd get more for your money in terms of house/plot size in Lynbrook. The South Hempstead area has a lot of bungalows and smallish homes, although as of late I have noticed a lot of people blowing them out and making bigger homes. Good luck to you! I know the area very well, so feel free to message me.
Agreed on house but where are these larger plots in Lynbrook? If anything, I think you're more likely to end up on 40x100 in Lynbrook than RVC.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Agreed on house but where are these larger plots in Lynbrook? If anything, I think you're more likely to end up on 40x100 in Lynbrook than RVC.
I think it really depends house to house - but worth a look in both towns. For some reason, I recall small plots in the S. Hempstead area. For the rest of RVC, you might get a larger plot, but you'll pay for it!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 AM

19 posts, read 53,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshore99 View Post
Hi Southshore99,

Thanks for your reply. As a matter of fact, I'm also considering Lynbrook at the moment and have a house picked out / in mind. I can certainly understand the bias, but what other advantages / disadvantages would you say Lynbrook has compared to South Hempstead?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated - thanks!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM

This is just my own opinion, of course, but I feel like the S. Hempstead area of RVC is a little disconnected from the rest of town. Also, I think Lynbrook is a little more middle-class, and that appeals to me. There are some people with big bucks in RVC, and I just think the disparity of wealth is a bit more evident in this community. With that being said, I've lived in both Lynbrook and RVC, and I like both. You certainly won't be unhappy in either place; great commute to the city, etc. If you want to message me about the Lynbrook house I can help. I know the place like the back of my hand and I can tell you which streets are better/worse. I know RVC pretty well, too. You can't beat the downtown in RVC, it's awesome - you'll probably hang out and go out there regardless of whether you live in RVC or Lynbrook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island