U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2013, 05:45 PM

418 posts, read 458,932 times
Default Wine tasting, Harmony vineyard, Head of the Harbor

Yesterday we went for wine tasting at a very local place I did not know existed - a short walk from Stony Brook village/Duck Pond/Avalon Park.
Turned out to be a pretty cool, funky place, actually.

Mission

The tasting space is in an old historic house (the original structure built in the 1600s; major expansion in the early 1900s)), that was moved to this location from nearby.
Many things, incl. the floor and some doors, windows, fireplaces are original.
There is a small art gallery inside. The backyard overlooks the winery and and the water.
The best part was the live music - they had this quartet that was very good - played jazz, swing, rag... This was a Saturday afternoon; not sure how often are they there.

The wines - I did not care much about the mixes, but the straight Cabernet Sauvignon was pretty good, and so was one of the Chardonnays. Small selection, kind of pricey.

The place only opened in 2012 (the old house needs more work).
The vineyards (4 acres) were planted in 2002, first wine produced in 2007.

---
Interestingly,
the owner, David Acker, is a local millionaire, lives next door.
He donates 100% of the proceeds from this vineyards to charities, including the Stony Brook Foundation (the university foundation), some charities in Kenya for women rights etc.
He is a local LI boy, who was a Stony Brook engineering undergraduate and made his millions by inventions and forming successful companies in the field of biomedical instrumentation. He has > 30 (real) patents - meaning, patents that actually make money unlike >90% of the patents today.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 06:11 PM

186 posts, read 154,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Yesterday we went for wine tasting at a very local place I did not know existed - a short walk from Stony Brook village/Duck Pond/Avalon Park.

Mission

The tasting space is in an old historic house (the original structure built in the 1600s; major expansion in the early 1900s)), that was moved to this location from nearby.
There is a small art gallery inside. The backyard overlooks the winery and and the water.
The best part was the live music - they had this quartet that was very good - played jazz, swing, rag... This was a Saturday afternoon; not sure how often are they there.

The wines - I did not care much about the mixes, but the straight Cabernet Sauvignon was pretty good, and so was one of the Chardonnays. Small selection, kind of pricey.

-
Interestingly, the owner, David Acker, is a local millionaire, lives next door.
He donates 100% of the proceeds from this vineyards to charities, including the Stony Brook Foundation (the university foundation), some charities in Kenya for women rights etc.
He is a local LI boy, who was a Stony Brook engineering undergraduate and made his millions by inventions and forming successful companies in the field of biomedical instrumentation. He has > 30 (real) patents - meaning, patents that actually make money unlike >90% of the patents today.

great advertisement think I'll check it out sounds kinda funky

Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 AM

7,262 posts, read 7,521,641 times
I think I remember when that house was moved, it was on these giant tracks that look like something from the space program. I was thinking, "whoever is moving that thing must have their own mint".

Is Acker's house that ginormous thing right down the road from the duck pond? I remember when that was built back in the 90's.

As you can see I often drive through HOH and Nissequoge to see how the other half lives.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 PM

140 posts, read 96,370 times
I know the house you are thinking of dman, but its not the one. It can't be seen from the road, but if you want to view it go down to Long beach in Nissequogue and look over the harbor and you can't miss it. The vineyard is beautiful. The house...well to each his own.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 PM

13,754 posts, read 15,714,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think I remember when that house was moved, it was on these giant tracks that look like something from the space program. I was thinking, "whoever is moving that thing must have their own mint".

Is Acker's house that ginormous thing right down the road from the duck pond? I remember when that was built back in the 90's.

As you can see I often drive through HOH and Nissequoge to see how the other half lives.
Google Earth the vineyard/estate. Acker lives on the premises. His home appears to the upper right (circular driveway) of the ca. 1690 house which is now the tasting room area. The old house sat closer to the water. When purchased, it was believed Mr. Acker bought the property for the view.

I believe the house was moved around 1999 or 2000. Our mutual friends went in there after the move to salvage some of the original trims for their own late 17th/early 18th century home.

Acker's new house isn't visible from the road. Is the ginormous house you refer to the one which is backs Harbor Rd at the corner of Emmet Drive? That house is beyond huge.

This might help fill in the details I can't recall:
Future Is Cloudy for Another Historic House - NYTimes.com

Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post

Mission

---
Interestingly,
the owner, David Acker, is a local millionaire, lives next door.
I haven't been in there since it opened. One of the big tussles when he was contemplating moving it was whether they could move it and keep the beehive oven intact. I can't recall what happened.

The old house required significant asbestos and lead paint remediation.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1 View Post
I know the house you are thinking of dman, but its not the one. It can't be seen from the road, but if you want to view it go down to Long beach in Nissequogue and look over the harbor and you can't miss it. The vineyard is beautiful. The house...well to each his own.
I love the old house. The new one -- as long as Mr. Acker is happy, that's all that counts.

Link to photos:
East Farm Estate by Andre Tchelistcheff Architects | Head of the Harbor | california-architects.com

Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 PM

418 posts, read 458,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I love the old house. The new one -- as long as Mr. Acker is happy, that's all that counts.

Link to photos:
East Farm Estate by Andre Tchelistcheff Architects | Head of the Harbor | california-architects.com
Interesting to see the inside of that mansion.
One can take a very good look at the outside from a walk towards the water within the winery (not from Harbor Rd). It looks a bit of a confused style - with parts going for a light house, an observatory and others going for a medieval castle...

The old house has a lot of character, but needs a lot of further restoration work. I did not love what appeared to be stucco between the old wood beams inside (those beams looked like they may be from the 1600s or something...). I am not an expert.
The seating benches at the windows are great, I wish I had those in my house.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:51 PM

Tasting Room

There's a video of the building being moved on the above linked page.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:33 AM

7,262 posts, read 7,521,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Tasting Room

There's a video of the building being moved on the above linked page.

Yep, that's the house I saw on the rollers.

I have to check this place out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island