Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:07 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
The slow drivers are actually usually buses that are running very late. This past Saturday one guy on the n20 wouldn't go above 30mph the whole way, arrived in Hicksville over 30 minutes late.

I know the MTA was far from perfect, but for me, I've been having way more problems with NICE Bus. With LI Bus, I'd usually have one problem per week (late bus, dirty bus, rude driver, or no show). With NICE Bus, it seems there is a problem almost everyday.

I'm having different experiences. Maybe the routes I ride (n20,n22,n27,n35,) are prone to the most problems, but they are certainly less reliable than with the MTA.

This discourages the use of Metrocard, making more people pay with cash, which takes longer, adding delays to buses.
Those are the worst lines for reliability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 09:53 AM

115 posts, read 134,004 times
Default Nassau County Taxi & Limo Commission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I know probably everyone owns a car on this forum and could care less about what I'm about to say, but it has to be said. Bus service in Nassau County has gotten much worse since the MTA left. I know if you look at the new NICE website it's so slick with the fancy looking schedules and all, but being that I use the buses at least 5 days a week, I can tell you it's a whole another world riding them. They are often later than ever, or sometimes as much as 10 minutes early (almost missed a bus several times on the n20 because of this, despite arriving usually at least 5 minutes ahead of it's scheduled time). The buses are very dirty, they dont clean them anymore, garbage all over the floor, and a sticky film on it as well. The fareboxes often have "READ ERRORS", which means when you put your Metrocard in it will reject the card with a red light saying "READ ERROR". Then there's the drivers themselves. They seem to be coming over from Veolia's other area operation, Super Shuttle. They drive erratically, often going slow for no reason, then slamming on the brakes at red lights and at bus stops and you have to hold on for dear life. That's if they stop, many drivers often pass stops after someone rang the bell. Then there's what happened to me today in Baldwin. I'm waiting at the bus stop on Grand Ave by Sunrise, the light is red and the bus is stuck in traffic far away. The light turns green, I have my hand out (just to make sure the driver knows I want the bus) and she keeps on going! I run across Sunrise and the bus stops to pick up someone at the next stop at the LIRR station, but she takes off and doesn't even wait for me. Luckily a kind motorist saw what happened and drove me to the next bus stop ahead of the bus. I asked the bus operator why she didn't stop, she had nothing to say, even after I said "you almost left me stranded".
I'm so tired of hearing NICE and Mangano tout about how great NICE Bus is. True, they run it for much less than the MTA. But what gives is labor and maintanance, so the service is much more unreliable, dirty, and unprofessional. Surely the county could've found the $35 Million the MTA wanted to continue LI BUS service, but chose not to. Mangano & the Legislature dont use the bus and could care less about those who do. It's disgusting. And how's this for a laugh?

Not sure that's just a coincidence. Thank You Ed Mangano for making my life (as well as 100,000 daily riders) much more difficult!
Just the photo I was looking for - now I remember why Mangano is filling patronage posts in his newly created taxi & limo commission - the purpose is to get rid of the competition from gypsy cabs and apps like uber. He never misses a trick to screw the taxpayers does he?

Old 01-03-2015, 07:50 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
So how does NICE compare overall with the MTA Buses in the 5 boroughs of New York City in regards to the issues raised in this thread? Are MTA buses overall so much more reliable, on-time, well-maintained, with courteous employees, etc.? So MTA bus riders, by-and-large, have mostly praise for the MTA bus system in regard to these matters?

And, for that matter, how does it compare with Suffok County Transit (SCT) and with Huntington Area Rapid Transit (HART) in regards to the same criteria as stated above?

Is anyone here able to make valid comparisons by virtue of extensive-enough experience riding them all (or most of them)? At least NICE versus SCT? Or NICE versus MTA?

Old 01-04-2015, 01:18 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
So how does NICE compare overall with the MTA Buses in the 5 boroughs of New York City in regards to the issues raised in this thread? Are MTA buses overall so much more reliable, on-time, well-maintained, with courteous employees, etc.? So MTA bus riders, by-and-large, have mostly praise for the MTA bus system in regard to these matters?

And, for that matter, how does it compare with Suffok County Transit (SCT) and with Huntington Area Rapid Transit (HART) in regards to the same criteria as stated above?

Is anyone here able to make valid comparisons by virtue of extensive-enough experience riding them all (or most of them)? At least NICE versus SCT? Or NICE versus MTA?
Do a search on this forum. There were several threads this past year that answers your questions.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:33 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Do a search on this forum. There were several threads this past year that answers your questions.

Thank you. I will do so.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:51 PM

149 posts, read 525,104 times
Myself, I'm disappointed with NICE bus. Like others have said, the MTA is nowhere near perfect, but LI Bus was better when it was a part of it. The cut service and re routing sucks. Also, why is it North Shore Nassau bus service doesn't run as often as South Shore? I will say that it surprised me to see the N22 and N24 lines run a bit later. There should be a line that runs all night (N22?) like the N6 does IMO

Old 12-01-2016, 07:40 AM

188 posts, read 161,459 times
For real MTA Long Island bus was always better than this joke of a system.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:39 PM

And now with a 12 million (or more) budget gap, how better off is Nassau county under NICE vs. MTA Long Island bus? NICE just delayed the what was bound to happen eventually....

Old 12-21-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Can't shut me up. If we can't shut you & the person you are posting here for up. And no my opinions are not worthless. And neither are your opinions. As nothing you are saying is really coming from your mouth. These topics are of no real concern for you. You do not live here (probably never stepped foot on LI) so you not utilize the public transit system like the Buses/MTA you keep mentioning. Your opinions are the worthless ones are as you do not even live here...enough said.
On the contrary, I was
born and raised in Brooklyn and rode on countless MTA buses and trains. And yes, I even been on a few NICE buses too. Not in a while though.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:11 AM

1 posts, read 981 times
nice don't maintain the Buses they break down left to right I also heard Veolia wants out and terminate the contract and hope that the MTA do come back and if not then County should run no privatization publicly operate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island