Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,064,674 times

Advertisements

Well said....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I think it was her phrase "where Jewish live," as if they are aliens from outer space or somehow like the Amish. Boy, I wish that family luck moving to Long Island. On the other hand, it may help to enlighten them that perhaps they ought to be mixing with other types of people instead of looking for a Christian enclave.
It's obvious the OP will not find this on LI.

I don't have a problem with any religion. But the irony with your post and those criticizing the OP is, the closest thing to real "religious enclaves" on LI are in the five towns area (OJs).

Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,821 times
A few things:

OP, you're not going to find what you're looking for here on Long Island. Most people here keep their faith private. You do have some people who occasionally go to church on Sunday out of tradition, but it's not as common. If you do move up here, I recommend finding a good church, and making friends there. Many of them do have activities for families during the week, and you can build your community of friends there.

To be honest, we don't really have Christian enclaves on Long Island. Most Christians here make their friends at church and other organizations. As an aside, despite how progressive posters on here try to make Long Island seem, there aren't many LGBTQ families here. Minorities already have it rough here, so you can only imagine how gay people would fare in many neighborhoods Also, Long Island still has a VERY solid Republican presence.

I DO NOT reccomend that megachurch on Route 231 that another poster mentioned (it's called Upper Room World Christian Center). You can DM me, if you want to know why. Some funky stuff appears to be going on there-- it's definitely not the powerhouse it was back in the 90s.

To the other posters, the OP did not ask your opinions on her family's beliefs, she asked where Christian families on Long Island typically live. There was no need to belittle their belief system in the midst of telling her those enclaves don't exist here.

OP, don't let the cynical posters here paint a picture of Long Island at large. Most people here are open minded about things like this unless you try to force feed your beliefs on them. I'm non-denominational, and don't feel threatened because of my beliefs here

Old 05-07-2013, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,781 times
With some really big and notable exceptions, what I've discovered is that LI does become more "Christian" the further east you go, but it also becomes more rural (in terms of environment, demographics, and economics).

I agree with others that some more information on the kind of lifestyle you'd enjoy living (in addition to simply mentioning "Christian") would be helpful to get the best advice.

If you're accustomed to living an upper-middle or better class lifestyle (in a Christian context) that's one thing ... but if you're accustomed to living a more "basic, down-to-earth" lifestyle (in a Christian context) that's another ... and if Christianity is really important to you, and you're looking for a community where spirituality forms an important part of family and community life, that's yet another. They are all different scenarios, but can still all be Christian.

The differences between LI communities are often more dramatic along socio-economic, ethnic, and cultural lines than along religious lines - to the extent that if you don't "mesh" with the socio-economic, ethnic, and cultural "norms" of a particular settlement, it may end up making your stay more unpleasant than just not finding a "Christian" community.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:25 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godslove1990 View Post
My husband is being transferred to Melville, NY later this year and our family will be moving to Long Island. We prefer to live around other Christians. I have looked here and other places on the net and can only find conversations about where Jewish live. What are the most Christian communities on Long Island?
Easy, move to Matzoh-Pizza, just 15 mins. from Melville, and just stay with the Pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island