Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 07:08 PM

156 posts, read 377,249 times

Advertisements

I count myself as part of the population that doesn't like vinyl. I explored many options, but the low maintenance factor and cost won out. As a compromise, the insulated vinyl is much stiffer and has a realistic wood grain texture. If a person is willing to accept periodic ongoing care, then cedar shakes or plank is an option, but not a cheap one. A homeowner in my neighborhood installed stained cedar plank and it sticks out like a sore thumb next to the brick, vinyl and painted plank houses. Sometimes, the best way to go is to install similar materials to surrounding houses especially if you're in a development.

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 05:19 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,626,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I hate fake Cedar and the real stuff if costly to maintain.
How do you figure it is costly to maintain? My house and garage and outbuildings are all cedar shake sided, 6" to the weather. The house had original cedar on it from 1928. Someone had stained it decades earlier. We removed it and installed new cedar after building the garage; we've allowed to both to weather naturally. No staining, no sealing.

If anything, it isn't cheap to purchase and install, plus people interested in cedar should find an experienced installer who knows how to weave corners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island