U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,833 posts, read 29,110,966 times
Reputation: 7397

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Sachem went thru 3 years in the past few where tax increases were 0.00, -0.20, and 0.20
Looks like the chickens are coming home to roost after all the years of holding the line. Even the cap budget looks painful Best of luck to Sachem.

http://www.sachem.edu/board/budget13...newsletter.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 AM
 
2,245 posts, read 4,292,617 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Looks like the chickens are coming home to roost after all the years of holding the line. Even the cap budget looks painful Best of luck to Sachem.

http://www.sachem.edu/board/budget13...newsletter.pdf
Average over the 7 years still has Sachem looking good compared to others, but its catching up to what others did in other years.

http://www.sachem.edu/board/budget13...evy_Change.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:13 AM
 
4,718 posts, read 10,315,108 times
Reputation: 2300
I think this is the beginning of something big that's going to happen across long island. I truly think that people are stretched to their max and now are waking up about these crazy taxes that keep going up and up. What will be done I dont know? I think folks need to be informed in more detail of how this all works. LI needs a watchdog group to get out into the public rather then here on the computer. Protests, rally's etc...lets go all Occupy Long Island !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,833 posts, read 29,110,966 times
Reputation: 7397
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Average over the 7 years still has Sachem looking good compared to others, but its catching up to what others did in other years.
I think it is admirable that the line was held for as long as it was. I only hope the catching up doesn't hurt too many residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 AM
 
2,245 posts, read 4,292,617 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I think it is admirable that the line was held for as long as it was. I only hope the catching up doesn't hurt too many residents.
And yet even during the 0% or negative tax, 2500 people still voted No.

The line was held as long as it could be and the state screwed with us this year by giving us the same aid as 5 years ago. meanwhile brentwood is getting 10 million more than they did last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,833 posts, read 29,110,966 times
Reputation: 7397
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
And yet even during the 0% or negative tax, 2500 people still voted No.

The line was held as long as it could be and the state screwed with us this year by giving us the same aid as 5 years ago. meanwhile brentwood is getting 10 million more than they did last year.
Come now, you and I both know that the way to solve a problem is to throw more money at it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2013, 11:02 AM
 
2,245 posts, read 4,292,617 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
And yet even during the 0% or negative tax, 2500 people still voted No.

The line was held as long as it could be and the state screwed with us this year by giving us the same aid as 5 years ago. meanwhile brentwood is getting 10 million more than they did last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Come now, you and I both know that the way to solve a problem is to throw more money at it!
Not fair to other districts. I know what the state is trying to do, but Brentwood SD's budget is 2/3 state money compared to Sachem's 1/3 state money with almost $$s in budget. Brentwood has about 2500 more kids than Sachem, but this doesnt justify $10 million more in state aid on top of the 1/3 higher to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2013, 02:43 PM
 
697 posts, read 1,151,507 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Step increases are still there however.
So, the teacher's are getting raises, i.e. "making more money". Step increases are not state mandated. Your BOE agreed to them. The salary freeze is best described as "weakly deferred" because when the salaries are unfrozen they will start up at the year and step on the compensation matrix resulting in a huge increase in salary and related pension costs due to the "freeze".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2013, 09:23 PM
 
2,245 posts, read 4,292,617 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
So, the teacher's are getting raises, i.e. "making more money". Step increases are not state mandated. Your BOE agreed to them. The salary freeze is best described as "weakly deferred" because when the salaries are unfrozen they will start up at the year and step on the compensation matrix resulting in a huge increase in salary and related pension costs due to the "freeze".
Been on freeze for 3 years now and continuing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 AM
 
697 posts, read 1,151,507 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Been on freeze for 3 years now and continuing.
I don't understand. In a prior post you indicated they were still getting step increases. Doesn't sound like a "freeze" but more a forbearance of their annual raise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top